A few words of gratitude from Team Roon 🙏

Same thing here. That and my new WiiM Mini streamer in the living room. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thank you for the response. Not so much interested in the secret sauce in the audio analysis tweak as I am in how it manifests. Is it possible to share this? No big deal if it isn’t, just curious, particularly re: dynamic range determinations.

1 Like

I’m guessing completely here… but if I were asked to speed up audio analysis on local files, analysis takes place after identification I believe.
I’d create my own database of analyses and then do a look up of the database. So when I see a known album, skip the analysis part and just look up the results I’d calculated earlier in my cloud database and plonk them into the local library.
Would speed things up a lot.

1 Like

Thank you for your response. What I surmise from this is that I don’t understand what is going on under the hood for Roon Playback of stored or streamed music. Analysis of audio files prior to or nearly simultaneously with playback must be a part of the routine, given the different audio file specifications re: bitrate and resolution and the tweak may (?) involve a method to reduce computational overhead. If everything were RBCD resolution, this might not be a requirement. There’s obviously a lot going on that we end-users don’t understand and don’t need to as long as the results are an excellent listening experience. Just a curious (and humbled) George.

Love this, it works great and sounds even better :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Analysis of local files is done prior to playback if you have analysis switched on or simultaneously if you have it switched off. It’s what gives the little waveform underneath, oy done for local files which is why streaming ones don’t have it.

3 Likes

Thank you ged_hickman1. This is fascinating. I don’t have the same Roon menu you show in your screenshot (Setup RoonArc Profiles Play Actions Libraries), but find something similar in Settings, only vertically displayed. I left this at default settings for Background audio analysis speed, which is Throttled. On-demand audio analysis speed is set at fast. I don’t have a rationale for selecting away from the default setting. I have a Mac Studio 2022, but use an InnuOS Zenith SE as the Roon Core, which is where the analysis would presumably be run. Don’t want to increase overhead on InnuOS, since its computer isn’t Roon-optimized. Or am I wrong about this? I don’t see the little waveform underneath that you mention, but have a slight understanding of what the analysis is for (volume leveling, crossfade and waveform displays, whatever that means). How did you learn these things? Thank you again and best regards.

Ah. There’s the “waveform”. I’ve thought it only indicated volume.

1 Like

Being on the forum for seven years, you pick stuff up :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank YOU!! This is a rich software experience.

2 Likes

Room farming is lots of fun. Plant a few files, and harvest lots of music. Thanks for the music garden folks!

6 Likes

Ever since I signed up for the trial when I purchased my first Dragonfly Red, I was hooked! I kept myself coming back to Roon rather than Apple Music or Spotify. Roon has helped me enjoy every aspect of my music collection. It’s everything that the other services aren’t, in the sense that it isn’t a bland app that just gives you cover art and track listings. It helps me to delve deeper and understand how the music I love was created and collaborated on. The addition of ARC has been a very welcome one because now I have my own Roon powered Plex Amp service!

Also, ever since I got Roon I have been playing more music for me and my 3 little kids and that has created some great bonding time and memories because we have K Pop dance parties in the middle of the living room and just get down.

Needless to say I’ve signed up for the lifetime membership. Keep up the amazing work!

7 Likes

Enjoy it! What a nice feedback.

3 Likes

Jamie and Roon team, likewise as has been stated I very much appreciate the commitment, communication and follow-through that you all provide our mutual journey to enhance the joy of listening to great music - and almost as importantly keeping it all organized! Thank you!!!

4 Likes

The sign of success is impassioned users who just want more. Roon has come so far, and has so much potential.

In addition to all the visible change, it seems like major infrastructure changes and investments were made in 2022 (elastic search, full .net, ARC mobile framework rebuild, earlyaccess program, more frequent releases, I’m sure others). I’m crossing fingers that those manifest in additional reliability and velocity on a number of fronts, because like a number of us I love Roon, what it does for me, and want it to do each of those things better and for it to do more. Stuff happening below the waterline gives me an extra special smile because it’s usually a good sign.

So congrats on a big year, and hoping for even more above the waterline this year!

-j

3 Likes

Just for info , Roon employed a search specific developer about 6 months ago(?) , they V 2.0 release moved the search code from the Local Core PC to a Cloud based solution to enable the use of newer and presumably more processor intensive technologies

So Search is very much work in progress

2 Likes

My feelings exactly @Gimlet! I get most of my classical listening suggestions from the Classical Community Conversations thread as well. I’m routinely blown away by the wealth of knowledge on display there.

I’m pleased to say that we’re planning to give those recommendations the wider attention they deserve. Details to come soon.

5 Likes

Hey @bill_perkins, the adjustments to audio analysis were indeed focused on under-the-hood changes aimed to lighten CPU load from processing.

The outcomes of the audio analysis all be the same, other than Core resources being reduced and the analysis generally taking less time. Dynamic range readings and other products of analysis weren’t affected. It was fine tuning of the processing itself.

2 Likes

Thank you, Jamie, for the information. Great to increase CPU efficiency. Helps those of us using “other” devices, such as InnuOS Zenith SE, as Roon cores.

1 Like

Kicked out my tv.
Why?
Cause Roon brings me joy!
Tnx.

5 Likes