A guide how to do room correction and use it in Roon

Btw, remember to use calibration file for your microphone, that rolloff could be due to no calibration file or wrong one (if you point microphone at speakers its the 0degree one you should use)

Thanks, pretty sure that 80Hz dip is rear wall reflection / cancellation. Option 1 is close to what I did but I went with a lower target and 500Hz limit, Iā€™ll try option 2 as well. Seems my weekendā€™s now sorted :slight_smile:

I always set the target so it matches as good as possible (i.e. leads to as few corrections as possible). If I only do a partial correction, set the target so the end of the corrected part matches the start of the un-corrected part, like target 77dB if correcting up to 600Hz.

For example, if you target 70dB and correct to 600Hz, you will get a 7dB jump at around 600Hz

Hi! Can any 1 tell me what is the best room correction software for today that I can use with my Roon rock on nuc? Never had any experience with room correction software but got the minidsp microphone and want to try.

Hi @Marcel_Khaddazh. This isnā€™t the most informed opinion, but Iā€™m working through the process and having decent results using REW. Iā€™ll admit that the fact itā€™s free was the primary factor. Choosing between commercial offerings is trickier and theyā€™re not ā€œworth a try to seeā€ prices, think Ā£300+. My advice is start with REW and see where it takes you. Youā€™ll at least get used to the process and get an idea of your rooms characteristics. Read this thread, thereā€™s some good advice and other software is discussed. You can always buy something else later and experience with REW will help to inform your purchase decision.

Personally, Iā€™d start with REW.
I used Acourate, which is very good and I got great results. But this software is very tedious to use. There is a book you really need to get that helps get through it. Having said that, it was such a chore to get the DSP done in Acourate I dread going through it again. I suspect that REW will give you most of what Acourate will, and with the guide Magnus has written here it will be a LOT easier to do a thorough job.

Agreed, start with REW and experiment. Then I would wait for the upcoming new version of Dirac Live if you feel you want more. Or do measurements in REW and send to Thierry at http://homeaudiofidelity.com which gives excellent results and include crosstalk reduction. His filters can be used directly from Roon.

Hi, do you mean this version?
2.2.0 (2019-02-26), or something newer yet?

From what I understood, the newest Dirac is only available on partners yet (NAD etc), but they are working on a stand alone PC app, which is the version I ment.

1 Like

Ah okay, yes indeed, I see NAD, and donā€™t (yet) see a version that isnā€™t tied to some specific hardware.

I bought a Umik-1 and like to start but i have Rew 5.20 beta 9 on my Macbook because Rew 5.19 did not work but these version is more complicated then the guide shows.
Do I need to download a different version or is there a updated guide?
Thanks!

I use that version of REW as well, some windows has changed but it should not be to hard to figure out what to do. But downloading an older version is also ok if you prefer, I donā€™t think the sound quality will be different.

Thanks for you anwser. An older version of Rew donā€™t accept my Umik-1/ sound card. The newer version does.
But how do I save my measurements in the RTA window?

Its called ā€œCurrentā€ with a disk icon on top, and donā€™t forget to press ā€œReset averagingā€ before starting a measurement.

Also, make sujre settings in RTA window is set to Mode: RTA 1/48 octave, and Averages: forever

Thanks! Iā€™ll try it today.

What are folks thoughts on the new version of Anthemā€™s ARC which is now downloadable for free! https://www.anthemarc.com/
Can we make this work with Roon?
Thanks
Doug

I managed to make some measurements. and import the files into Roon.
Only thing that not completely sure about is how to save the corrected files in the EQ section.
Thanks!

In Roon, you use ā€œConvolutionā€ and browse for the .wav files that was generated by REW (a .zip with several wave files also works).

Here is more information: https://kb.roonlabs.com/DSP_Engine:_Convolution

Looking on doing this in the coming weeks but I have a simple question.

Do I play back the sweeps from the PC running REW through my Hifi or can I use wav or aiff file through Roon as this would be the signal path I would be listening to.

Iā€™m not an REW expert but have experimented enough that I know you can use REW to create a WAV of the pink noise file and then play it back through Roon. I converted the WAVs to FLAC but thatā€™s not necessary.

1 Like