A guide how to do room correction and use it in Roon

I tried this in rePhase, but I used 2 banks, bank 1 contained the filters below 100Hz and with minimum-phase setting, bank 2 contained the filters above 100Hz and with setting linear phase. This should result in no phase shifts by filters above 100Hz, and no need to manually adjust phase in phase-EQ. I confirmed it by importing convolution file in REW and phase for 100+ is a totally flat horizontal line, which it should be since I did this on a RTA measurement which don’t record phase.

The sound is very similar, but there is a little more details and clarity and less smearing on some background details. No drawbacks from what I can hear so far.

2 Likes

Once I get energy to update this guide with new screenshots, I will add above as an optional advanced step :slight_smile:

1 Like

Magnus,
yes that is my impression also. A bit more details and sharper focus. The nice thing about ROON is that you can zip a file with phase tweaks using rephase and another just with the straigth forward REW filters and switch back and forth and compare no harm in doing that. The differences are subtle in most cases. Thanks again for all you do for us.

1 Like

Im actually using HQPlayer, which only accepts one L/R convolution file and handles rescaling internally, @jussi_laako recommends high sample rate so I generate and use 384khz from rePhase. Overall the convolution engine in HQPlayer gives a better result than the one in Roon, but it also introduces more latency.

I have been thinking about switching to HQPlayer…I guess now is the time!

1 Like

It gives a step-up in sound quality, and also gives a nice way to fine-tune the sound to your liking. But lots of filters and settings, so be prepared for some experimentation :slight_smile:

Magnus,
as you know this topic can get quite complex. I am trying very hard to follow and understand phase corrections on this thread…

I am inspired by audiophiles who have been able to correct their system from this…

to this…

Yes, I don’t know it that well either, just some basic knowledge. Those are nice visualizations though, have to try em and see what I get in my room (they are from REW right?`)

The repeat shadows makes me think they are done with tubes in the chain (odd/even harmonics and all that), or maybe its just wall/ceiling/floor reflections.

Thanks for everyone’s help, re-ran everything this morning successfully (using the advice above!) and have successfully imported my first convolution.zip!

Confirmation bias notwithstanding, certainly sounds better - instruments seem better separated. My “test” track is 5-8-6 by New Order, from about 1:45 onwards, sounds great!!!

For those, who like me struggled early on, I’d definitely recommend persevering and using the wonderful help available here on this forum.

Ta.

3 Likes

I might misunderstand what you wrote here but I am doing 3-way plus 2 subwoofers DSP crossover and room EQ in HQPlayer.

That’s 8 channels, ie 8 mono convolution filter files… In the pipeline matrix.

You are correct, forgot about the pipeline matrix

Nice that you got better sound. And yes, it can be a little bit complicated and intimidating, but in the overwhelming majority of normal listening room digital room correction can make a improvement.

When I do room correction for myself, I usually make one version based on what REW does, and one manual minimal room correction which usually only have 4-5 filters and mostly in lower frequency, then I compare by listening.

We are currently testing a Dirac Live update which is simpler to use with Roon as it provides systemwide correction in addition to the plugins.
The calibration process is also simpler.
If interested in trying it until the end of January please visit https://helpdesk.dirac.se and open a ticket at the HelpDesk (you’ll need to “Sign up for an account”)
Happy New Year!!

P.S.Windows only at the moment… sorry!

1 Like

I would gladly do that if it was possible to use seamlessly with Roon (my current chain is Roon -> HQPlayer -> NAA endpoint). But when I tested it earlier (6 months or so ago), I had to use a VST host to host the Dirac plugin, and then I can’t user the Roon-HQPlayer direct communication. At the end, I felt I was testing a completely different digital chain and all comparisons where not fair (to Dirac).

I am currently a beta tester for Dirac systemwide and I am using it in Roon with no issues. I am liking the results. I also use HQPlayer, but having some issues getting the Dirac virtual sound card to talk each other. For me I am getting better results with Dirac than HQPlayer. To use both together would be icing on the cake.

I am a dirac user but over a streamer (minidsp). Can i use the already installed dirac on my PC to implement it in roon? Is there a manual how to do it?

This sounds like a good approach, but I wonder if a transition frequency closer to 300 Hz might work better. Why did you choose 100 Hz? Just curious…thanks. :slight_smile:

Someone said 100Hz earlier, but when I think about it I am guessing you should use your rooms schroeder frequency cutoff, which in my room is somewhere around 200Hz (calculated with this https://amcoustics.com/tools/amroc with an estimate of RT60=0.3).

1 Like

Thanks for the link. That’s an impressive RT60.

I think I actually might have lower RT60, its just an estimate based on this old measurement (digital room correction in place and then measured, I can only dream of this measurement without DRC):

1 Like