Add Roon connectivity to older ethernet streamer player

The well-reviewed and oft-recommended MicroRendu is no longer available apparently. It’s been “sold out” on the website for months.

I’m looking for something with ethernet in and ethernet out to sit between my Naim UnitiQute2 and the rest of the network, to add Roon capability. USB doesn’t work; no usb input on the UnitiQute2. But it does have digital inputs. But ethernet in and out is best.

Really looking in the hundreds of dollars…not a $2100 Lumin U1 mini. Because I can buy a used Naim Atom for less than that!

@Bart001, there are more than a few options, starting with a Wiim streamer or something like the Bluesound Node 2, both of which have optical outputs and all are Roon Ready (at least for the two lower end Wiims, the Pro Plus should be ready soon). If you are more into Raspbery Pis, then there are many options using a TOSLINK hat to connect to your Naim.

1 Like

Your best bet is to use one of the digital inputs. Something like the Wiim Pro Plus should do the trick.

1 Like

TY. I’d be happy with a pi-based device, but I’m not keen on building one myself. (I think that the MicroRendu was pi based) – a ready-to-run solution suits me better than building :slight_smile:

Wiim Pro Plus is $175; that seems pretty cost-effective! Could use it ethernet/network in, optical out, I assume.

Ethernet in, coaxial (S/PDIF) and optical outputs, along with analogue. It’s a Roon Ready device and well regarded.

Looks like as a week or so ago, the Pro Plus still was not “Roon Ready.”
But as I’m not using its dac section…the Pro might give the very same performance.

1 Like

You are correct, it is the Wiim Pro that is certified Roon Ready. However, the Pro Plus will work as a Chromecast endpoint until certification is completed.

1 Like

I just have to ask to make sure . . . so I would select the Pro Plus as a Chromecast endpoint in Roon, and the fact that I have no other Chromecast ‘stuff’ going on at home is irrelevant, right?

I don’t have a Wiim Pro or Pro Plus, and have gleaned this information from other threads. Nonetheless, Chromecast is supported in Roon, so it shouldn’t be an issue. You may wish to look at the other threads–search the forum–and ask there.

As I understand it, the digital side of the Wiim pro is essentially the same as the pro plus - so if you don’t need the better DAC in the plus - buy the pro. And it’s Roon Ready now…

4 Likes

I own an iFi Zen Stream for one of my Roon systems. Initial configuration is a bit fiddly. It works well as a Roon Ready endpoint. It has coax S/PDIF output, which is what you need for the Qute2.

It’s more expensive than the Wiim devices, but I went with the Zen Stream because I own other iFi devices and I’m happy with their quality and flexibility.

What about RooUpnp extension? It doesn’t need to sit in between your components just plug into the network it will provide Roon capabilities to your Naim device.

https://shop.rooextend.com/en/pages/pf-extension-rooupnp?redirected=true

You can build your own with RPi if so desired.

1 Like

Since you are using an external DAC, the WiiM Pro (not-Plus) is a far better choice. It’s Roon Ready now and you won’t have to pay $50 extra for an internal DAC upgrade that you will not use.

I’d suggest buying the bundle with the remote.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C5C9XXD5

1 Like

It doesn’t look like the UnitiQute2 is Roon Ready certified. That’s something to ask Naim about. There are Roon extensions that can play to DLNA / UPnP devices, but your best bet, as others have said, is the WiiM Pro. Only downside is you won’t get cover art on the display, but no guarantee that the extensions will solve that either.

Im wondering if I’d ever use the remote; I would use the Roon app to generally control playback, and the Naim app to control the Naim volume.

It’s nice to not have to open a phone or tablet just to pause or skip to the next track.

1 Like

I suppose a Pi4 woth Ropieee.org installed and configured as a UPnP gateway would allow your Naim to be visible to Roon?
Im not a frequent user, but the UPnP linking seems to work pretty good.

I second the Wiim Pro (not Plus), so long as your amp has a DAC that you like. It’s Roon Ready. This is like one of my systems, where a Wiim Pro connects digitally to a Cambridge Audio DAC Magic Plus before the amp stage. Very satisfactory.

1 Like

Get a raspberry pi install Ropieee and enable the UPnP bridge. This will do the same as the MicroRendu would be doing with its UPnP bridge. Or you can pay through the nose for RooUPnP which does the same.

Wiims okay but don’t believe the hype. I do have one so can make this kind of statement. You will get better performance into your Uniti using UPnP bridge which is how most Naim users get Roon into legacy units.

1 Like