Adding dCS Rossini to Roon setup

This is a followup in case of interest for all you good guys who tried to help me solve this problem of trying to get Roon to work with my new dCS Rossini, in a system with the Antipodes DX3.

Spending an hour last night logged in to my laptop from New Zealand, Tony Devitt, the Antipodes support person, analyzed and solved the problem as follows (as I understand it): he established the Roon Core on my Antipodes DX3, and used the Rossini for its Roon Ready and DAC functions. He said there is a sound quality benefit to separating the Core and Roon Ready functions into two machines (which I believe is what Antipodes’ new flagship combination of CX and EX does). The stream is from my Comcast wire coming in from the street to the Core, then to Roon Ready (and the DAC) on the Rossini, then out to the system.

The Antipodes serves as a network bridge, and behaves like a network switch, so it must be running before the DAC is powered up in order to enable the Antipodes as Core to give an IP address to the DAC. The connection between the Antipodes and Rossini to enable this functionality is a wire between ethernet ports on the Antipodes and the Rossini. He said a router could be used for this, but sound quality is a little better with this direct connection. When he finished, the system worked with Roon as it had before the Rossini.

I cannot resist this closing comment. Watching his working on my computer, it seemed very complicated. The kind of detailed attention to my problem and the extreme knowledge and competence he demonstrated were typical of the support I’ve received all along from him and Antipodes. And I hadn’t even asked for his help. His participation started with his somehow learning of Antipodes being mentioned in this forum. Seeing this, of his own accord he stepped forward and responded with an offer to help. I’d thought of contacting him earlier, and knew he could probably solve the problem due to his deep expertise, but didn’t want to take his time. One can’t help but have great respect for him and his company.

Thanks again to you all for pitching in to help solve this problem.
Jim Heckman

3 Likes