Adding Music to Library Trouble

Roon Core Machine

Windows 10 Pro, i7 12700F, 64GB

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Wifi router : Wave2 HFR H734G : SK broadband(South Korea internet service company(+82-106) provided)

Connected Audio Devices

USB → DDC(Gustard U18) → DAC(Gustard R26)

Number of Tracks in Library

about 500,000 tracks

Description of Issue

Right after Roon update 3~4 days before, Roon seemed to get very slow and selecting artist and album took 3~5 munites each

And when I click upper right icon spinning constantly, It says adding music to library. so I thought Roon was scanning my local files again. but this slowing has not been improved.
And I found 0 added 0 identified message is stuck all day among 2 thousands files,
So I removed all folders in setup>storage and added folders again.
After that, the message has been changed. The numbers of files has been changed from 2 thousands → 68 thousands. And added/identified files are not zero, and increasing very slowly.
After 24 hours, now added/identified files are 1.5 thousands, but it seems to take more than 1 months to complete 68 thousands files. This adding process seems extremely slow.
I would appreciate you if you help me and give some advises.
(I am suffering extremely low speed of play 1 track
And after 30 minutes, I have succeeded to play 1 track, but it stutter severely)

Thank you

1 Like

A few things to try:

1. Go to Settings/Library and click “Clean up Library” (see if there are any non zero items on the list)

2. Also in Settings/library give the analysis a few cores to use:

3. In settings/setup: Clear the image cache

4. Reboot the Core if you have not done it in a while.

5. If all this fails to help, you might try re-installing the app?? (make a Database backup before trying this, Settings/Backups)

1 Like

Thank you so much for advises, I will try one by one

I just reinstalled roon, and adding music to library from the first.
It started from 126k tracks, and the numbers diminishes 1,000 in 4 hours.
I think after 500 hours this process will end
I just decided to wait 3~4 months. but roon action is very slow still.
For playing 1 song, it alwats take 5~10 minutes…

Yes, 500,000 tracks from your initial post would take awhile to analyze but it should be hours/days not weeks/months??

Have you gone to settings/library and given Roon more cores to work with for the analyzing?

You can change it back to “throttled” once the analysis is complete.

For the slow song playing have you tried rebooting the network? (modem, router, switches, machine running Roon core etc.)
Also, are you playing local tracks or streaming when it is slow?

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Roon Core Machine

Roon Core Machine

Wifi router : Wave2 HFR H734G : SK broadband(South Korea internet service company(+82-106) provided)

Connected Audio Devices

about 500,000 tracks

Description of Issue

I have a trouble of repeating of adding music to library,
Even adding music to library was completed once, it repeats from 2327 everytime I starts app again after closing it or reboot computer. and it takes 0.5~1 day to complete again.
The starting number of tracks is always the same as 2327.
Can somebody please give me an advice or help?

Roon Core Machine

Connected Audio Devices

about 200,000 tracks

Description of Issue

I have a trouble of repeating of adding music to library,
Even adding music to library was completed once, it repeats from 2327 everytime I starts app again after closing it or reboot computer. and it takes 0.5~1 day to complete again.

The starting number of tracks is always the same as 2327.

Can somebody please give me an advice or help?
8 days before, I posted this issue and nobody replied and helped.

I desperately want to get in touch with Roon @support staff.

It’s been more than 2 months since I haven’t use Roon due to slowed adding music to library issue and this issue.

Hey @Jaegyun_Choi,

Thanks for taking the time to write in! Let’s keep all future troubleshooting and communication here on this thread, rather than opening any new threads for this specific issue - it helps immensely on our end. Thanks!

Are these tracks all within the same subdirectory or folder? If you could provide more information around where and how your local library is stored, that would be helpful.

With that, could you please send over a screenshot of your Roon settings>Library>Clean up library?

Did you manage to give the above a try as well?

I’ll be on standby for your reply. :+1:

Thank you benjamin so much for reply.
I have tried various setting for background audio analysis speed as throttled, 4, 8, 12, 16, 20… etc cores and for On-demand audio analysis speed as fast/throttled.

And have tried various way of adding new folders to Storage menu like including all music, or including A first, then after completion adding B, C, D. Starage setting and folder structure is as below(using 2 drives as D:, E:)

And I found the situation is always the same in both ways. that adding speed is fast first time then getting slower as number of included tracks increases.
When I tried A,B,C step by step, In A~D it takes 1 hour to add 20k~30k tracks but in R, S, T it adds 100~200 tracks(sometimes 10~50 tracks) in 1 hour. and when I add D:\1. Pop-rock 1(A~M1) and E:\Pop-rock 2(M2~Z) at once, 80k tracks are added in 1st day and 50k days in 2nd day. So it takes 1~2 weeks to add the whole 215k tracks.(I have tried this process 2~3 times in last 2 months) but after completion, 2327 tracks starts again everytime I close and start roon app again(or reboot computer) whether I set Background audio analysis speed at throttled or 20 cores. It always the same. And it will take more than 1~2days to complete 2327 tracks again and Roon stutter severely so it takes 10~30 minutes to play only 1 song.

• I have removed 2. Pop-rock 2 to find out this 2327 tracks are gathered in 1 folder. and after tried this the numbers were decresed to half(11k~12k tracks). so I guess these 2327 trakcs seem to scattered in various folders.

I think I have given the information you asked. If I have omitted or there’s another informations you need, please tell me anything.

Thank you again for help. Please have a nice day.

Hey @Jaegyun_Choi,

Thanks for the update. The first thing I’d be curious to see - we just released an update that may help your situation. If you could, please update your core to the lastest Roon build and let me know how things perform.

If there is no change, let’s refresh your database and see how things perform. Steps to follow below:

• Create a Backup of your current database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder
  • Verify if the issue persists on a fresh database before restoring the backup

Thank you so much benjamin for your guide.
I am trying what you have told from yesterday.
Actually, before I posted asking for help in May, I had reinstalled Roon 4~5 times with deleting all settings and information option and had tried what I had told last time(trying various way of adding folders in storage menu and speed options with used CPU core numbers)
But your guide was different in reinstalling way (which is without unstalling and changing folder name as roon_old) So I hope this way take effect very strongly.
So far, the speed of adding tracks seems similar to the way before, it started 27k tracks in first 1 hour but now it adds 2k tracks in 1 hour. I really hope this is normal situation and there will be no new tracks starting adding in every rebooting or restarting applicaiton.
It seems this process will be finished 1~2 weeks like before with this speed. After completion, I will report result again.
Thank you so much again and have a nice day.

Hey @Jaegyun_Choi,

This feels a bit long overall, where are you hosting your library? Is it on a separate SSD?

When you refreshed your database, did you test out performance before attempting to add your library? Did you test out trying to add just a small subset of your library at first?

If no improvements were noticed during this, I would restore your database from a recent backup versus manually re-importing your library. Learn more about restoring from a backup below:

My Desktop is Roon core PC and has 1 SSD for OS, 2 HDD(8TB each) for music files.
And I have tried adding only ‘A’ folder which is about 1/20 of my whole files. If speed of folder ‘A’ is 20k tracks/hour, adding B(after completing A) is 15k tracks/hour. Then Adding C is 10k tracks/hour. Overall, Situation of being lowered of adding speed as number of added tracks is increased is always the same between adding whole files at once and adding each A,B,… folders step by step with completing each A,B,… folders.
I don’t understand what you mean about testing out performance and manually re-importing library. I have many backup folders because I have made back-up 30~40 times about this situation. But after I have found size of back-up folder is very large I have erased 20~30 folders so now I have about 10 back up folder.
If you need any back-up files, I will send you compressed zip file with mail. Please give me any guidandce.

(I have rebooted computer 3~4 times so 141k tracks have been added already and now it says ‘of 73903 tracks, 12 added 2 identified’ and it seems 73903 is decreasing by ratio of around 10 tracks in 5~10 minutes. this speed has been always fluctuating but sometimes it has been lowered to exterme level of 10 tracks in 3~5 hours(and it used to get faster a little after that). now it seems it can be more than 2 weeks for completion in this pace)

Thank you so much again for support. Have a nice day!

My Roon core has completed adding music faster than expected. But 2327tracks start to be added everytime Roon starts or computer reboors. The symptom is exactly the same even with the number of the tracks.
Can you give some advice for next step? It seems there has been similar symtoms in other users for some years in this forum.

Hey @Jaegyun_Choi,

Thanks for the update! I’m not able to enable diagnostics on your core device, as it appears to be offline. If possible, could you please use the directions found here and send over a set of logs to our File Uploader?

Thank you for reply. I have uploaded zip file to Logs upload server with the file name Moderated
I have turned off my Roon core because I didn’t know you can access but from now on I will not turn off Roon core and Roon app. so you may access my system anytime if you can.
Thank you again. and I have one more question. actually I have one more hdd containing classical music. I have not attempted to connect this hdd for the fear of it can make worse the situation. Can I connect before you find the cause or will it be better to connect it after the trouble with the pop-rock hdds is cleared?

Hey @Jaegyun_Choi,

From the logs you sent over, it appears that these 2327 tracks appear to be corrupted. They all appear to be Flac files, I’m curious to know if you have other flac files that were successfully imported?

To delete just the corrupt tracks:

1. Head to Roon tracks browser
  2. Focus —> Inspector —> Corrupt
  3. Then select one track (right click / long press)
  4. Then use the icon top left to select all.
  5. After that you can delete them.

If you wish to remove any albums with corrupt tracks, it is the same procedure but from the albums browser.

You can also identify the tracks and use say dBpoweramp’s batch converter to transcode them back to native format eg FLAC to FLAC, which may help with the corruption.

Thank you so much for guide
As you have told, I have tried to search for currupted files. But only 6 files have appeared as below.

And I pushed mouse right button with long press, but nothing appeared to select all files. So I deleted one by one with the menu from right … button. and after 6 files have deleted, adding music count is still on as below

Is there anyting I can do from here?
It seems to be not easy situation but your guidance will be very appreciated.
Have a nice day