Adding Music To Library Wheel Keeps Spinning

Hello @Still-One,

We are still investigating your case at this time. I will contact the QA team again to see if they can take a look at the diagnostics from your machine (hopefully before the end of the year) and I will be sure to share any updates with you as they arrive.

Thanks,
Noris

Hey @Still-One – Noris mentioned this thread to me earlier, and I just wanted to mention one thing.

When Noris discussed this issue with our technical staff earlier this week, the team’s diagnosis was that something about the network was causing this problem, and they suggested confirming whether the behavior continues with only the one Orbi router on the network.

I can see you’ve tried that, but I just want to reiterate that it’s important you run a clean test in this setup. By clean, I mean completely turn all but one of the Orbi devices, reboot everything (Core, router, switch, modem, etc), and see how it goes. Perhaps you’ve already done just that, but I wanted to mention how important it is that our support team gets a clean data point here if we’re going to figure out why your setup is performing like this.

I can see this has been a frustrating issue @Still-One, and I’m sure we can get this resolved for you. The next couple of days are going to be a bit slower than normal for our team, but hopefully things are a bit more stable on the Mac temporarily, and we can get this going for you when everyone is back after the holiday.

Feel free to reach out to Netgear if you want, but I wouldn’t pay for their support on this, at least not yet – for now I’m pretty sure Andrew and our team will be able to figure out what’s going on here.

In any event, thanks for your patience @Still-One! The timing here is unfortunate, but Noris will be discussing this with the senior technical staff soon, so we can figure out how to get this stable for you.

1 Like

Yes. I did run with just the main unit only. When it did not have an impact on reconnected the other two units because I need those units so that other devices in my home can have internet access.

It makes no sense that these devices might be impacting my access to your servers when using a hard wired connection yet when core is running wirelessly on my MacBook Pro I am have no issue with accessing it. (I do get a few dropouts).

How long do you want me to run the test? As I noted. I need those points for other devices.

Jim

@mike
@noris

Hello @Still-One,

I have followed up with Andrew via PM for some more diagnostic information from your SonicTransporte,r once that is received I will attach it to your case and ask QA to review. In the meantime, can you please confirm if you have you had any issues at all while the Core was residing on your Macbook?

Have you contacted Orbi regarding this issue and asked them to perform another hardware check? If you by any chance have another router around the house or can temporarily borrow one from a friend I would like to know if the behavior is still the same as signs are still pointing to the network being faulty at this time.

Thanks,
Noris

I have not had any issues running Roon Core on the MacBook Pro other than more random dropouts than usual. It makes no sense that running wirelessly thru the Orbi works better than the i5 hardwired thru the same unit.

No, i do not have access to another router, I tossed it when I purchased the Orbi at the end of August .
As previously noted I have not yet contacted Orbi until I know what to ask them what to look for. My 90 day free support is up and I will have to pay for a contract (which is no issue if I know what they are to look for)

@noris
@agillis

It looks like the issue “may” be resolved. I ended up paying for Orbi support and after some discussion they suggested I increase the MTU size under WAN to 1472 from 1400. As soon as this was updated and I restarted Roon it began identifying albums again. I will have to go through again and update all of changes to artists, covers etc that I just completed over the weekend since Roon overwrote some changes.

I will let you know if the issue arises again.

Interesting did they say that 1400 is the default on all their devices? That does seem a bit low. I just wondering in case I get another question from other sonicTransporter users.

Andrew
He did not indicate whether that was a default value or not. I think he did ask if that field said 1400. When he came back he just suggested I raise it to 1472 and then see if the program (Roon) was working normal. It was after I closed and reopened it.

What would you expect to see as a “normal” value. I have no idea.

Jim

A typical default is 1500. That is what I would expect.

Anyway good to hear it’s fixed.

Hello @Still-One,

Glad to hear that the issue has been fixed with the MTU change! It’s a bit strange that the fix was changing the MTU size but if Netgear took a look and that’s what they suggested then I’m glad that they were able to pinpoint it to that setting. I wish you a pleasant listening experience and thanks for contacting support!

– Noris

I noticed the wheel spinning this afternoon and saw the Metadata Improver error message. I just opened the Roon Server Ap on my sonicTrasnporter, stopped Roon, cleared my cache then restarted Roon. The spinning wheel and error message were gone.