Adding Music To Library Wheel Keeps Spinning

Hello @Still-One,

To make the MacBook your Core you would simply have to go to Roon Settings (on the Macbook) -> General -> Disconnect. On the “Choose Your Core” screen, I would press the button “Use this PC” as the Core, Roon will then ask you to unauthorize the previous SonicTransporter and you can go ahead and do so.

Since your upsampler is having trouble getting back online and devices are being lost, are you sure that your Orbi setup is working properly? You might want to ask the folks over at Netgear to run some diagnostics on your system in case they can identify any issues with it.

Thanks,
Noris

I have the upsampler back online. According to Àndrew the i5 bypasses any settings in the Orbi and uses google DNS.

I am having a hard time pointing to my music on the Sonictransporter what is the proper format for the SMB command to mount the device? is it SMB\sonictransport\music\import or similar

@Still-One - Please take a look at our Documentation regarding this subject, but basically you would need to do:

smb://IP_ADDRESS_OF_SONICTRANSPORTER/SHARE_NAME
or
\\IP_ADDRESS_OF_SONICTRANSPORTER\SHARE_NAME

Thanks,
Noris

Got it.

It has started and is identifying files. Not sure if it is identifying Tidal files yet, Will let you know/

It looks like it is also identifying at least some Tidal files too. It has a ways to go but one issue is that is is duplicating just about every CD (showing 2) of each.

@Still-One - You probably have accidentally added your storage location twice to Roon Settings -> Storage. I would make sure that you only have it listed once on the storage page (as in here):

Thanks,
Noris

The wheel has stopped. Under storage it now reads 7993 tracks imported.

What does this tell us about the Sonic transporter running Core and the network?

When I look at the OVERVIEW page it says I have 10198 tracks ???

@agillis

@Still-One - It tells us that your network is unstable. I am seeing the following traces on your Mac as the Core:

Line 298: 12/20 18:47:17 Warn: [broker/accounts] failed to refresh account info: Result[Status=NetworkError, ErrorText=Error: NameResolutionFailure]
	Line 326: 12/20 18:47:17 Warn: Error in web request https://metadataserver.roonlabs.net/md/4/updategenres?uid=03f0bc60-00fd-4c59-a4cc-9669024c5609&lid=&token=688f2ec6-37df-4f56-a0d2-e9bc5a7bf700&content_hash=30192aee32efe9356b00bf2fd4340f77: NetworkError (System.Net.WebException: Aborted.
	Line 329: 12/20 18:47:17 Warn: [metadatasvc] FAIL https://metadataserver.roonlabs.net/md/4/updategenres?uid=03f0bc60-00fd-4c59-a4cc-9669024c5609&lid=&token=688f2ec6-37df-4f56-a0d2-e9bc5a7bf700&content_hash=30192aee32efe9356b00bf2fd4340f77 (30003ms) NetworkError

I would proceed as follows:

• Change your DNS in the Orbi router itself to Google DNS or Cloudflare

• Contact Orbi and ask them to run diagnostics on your setup

Thanks,
Noris

I just looked at how to set-up my Orbi with Google DNS and when I checked it is already set-up to use

Netgear had me change to that back in early August. I didn’t know that was Google.

Why has the wheel stopped if you are seeing errors?

Hello @Still-One,

Those errors posted were from earlier in the evening, I am not seeing any new errors since the ones I mentioned above.

I would try to run this setup for the rest of the night/tomorrow and if you notice any strange behavior please take note of the exact local time that it seems unstable (ex.9:47PM) and I can review the logs for any issues at that timestamp.

Thanks,
Noris

@noris

1. Is my unit now contacting the Roon server? previously you said it had not made connection
  2. I did add a Tidal album. It added to the Overview count but not the “storage” count.
  3. Why is the count on the “storage” page showing ~7993 imported when the Overview summary shows 10203 tracks.

You are doing a lot of “orbi” related diagnostic but I think the sonicTransporter and the player are both attached directly to the router. Maybe the customer can confirm this.

Hello @Still-One,

• Your Macbook OSX is connecting to our diagnostic servers but your SonicTransporter still is not.
  • Adding a TIDAL album should not add to your storage count since the storage is located on the SonicTransporter hard drive.
  • The overview page lists both TIDAL and Local Media.
  • Yes, it would be good to confirm as Andrew mentioned if both are attached to the router.

Thanks,
Noris

The Sonictranspoter is connected to a TRENDnet switch which is connected to the Orbi. They are physically only about a foot apart. This is what Andrew suggested (adding a switch) back in August when I was having dropouts. It cured my dropouts immediately.

The MacBook Pro where we are currently running Core is connected wirelessly to the main Orbi Router via a 5GHZ connection.

What player are you referring to. If you mean the dCS Upsampler it is also connected to the Trendnet switch sitting next the the router.

@agillis
@noris

The other orbi is connected to your router?

@noris
@agillis

What is my next step? I can’t seem to get to Roon via ethernet when Core is on the sonicTransporter connected either directly to the Orbi or via the switch. I can get to Roon thru the Orbi when Core is running on my MacBook Pro and it is connected wirelessly.

The wheel keeps spinning when Core is running on the Orbi as no albums are identified. All albums play

Even if I pay for Netgear support I am not sure what I need them to look for. Wireless connection works but ethernet seems not to.

Jim

What happens if you eliminate the orbi and go straight to your router?

@agillis
My Motorola Router only has one ethernet connection. Do you mean as a test because then I have no wireless connection in my home. How would I control Roon with no access via MacBook or iPad?

@noris
@support

Can I continue to get support on this issue or are we waiting for after the first of the year when some may return from he holidays.

Jim