Addition to the Headphone rig help please

Steve good luck with this setup.
Noise from Pi’s is low but you can get a Jitterbug or the Zen isolator and a decent power supply later if you like what you hear.

(Though again if you are getting into that kind of money the Zen Stream is where I think you should go)

I wouldn’t sell the Pi if you upgrade as they are so useful. I have multiple running in the house for Roon extension manager, DNS servers and almost anything you can think of that you want a low powered device to run.

Thanks Michael but you assume I know what I am doing with all this technical stuff :grinning:

If the SQ does get affected I will probably sell it on and just stick to the phone.
Having Roon in the set up would be nice but not at the expense of the sound. We shall see and thanks again for all of your input.

1 Like

You can use the iphone as roon endpoint with the cck connected to your amp. You can
either use it as control device as well or disable the private zone option and use another mobile device or computer.

Sorry can you explain this further?
I currently use the phone with the CCK to stream Tidal to the Burson .
I think if I am still going to use the phone I might as well stick to Tidal instead of Roon but thanks for the post

Hi Steve,
with the Roon app on your phone you can use it as a control device and an endpoint, which you can stream to your amp with the cck. If you go to device settings and disable the private option, you can control this device (the phone) from any other control point.

2 Likes

Hello again
So I have the ready to go Pi , all assembled
The seller on eBay is going to help me set it up but not sure how long or will take for him to get back to me , so keen to try it myself

I have looked at the attached guide above and it’s way over my non technical head

Is there a guide or can someone point me in the right direction
I am assuming I just have to get my network to see the pi ……then set it up for use with roon.
I also assume I will have to set it up first before I go wireless with it

How do I know it’s even turned on……like there are no lights or anything when I plug it in

Any guidance appreciated

Steve are you talking about the Pi quick start guide, which is excellent and about as easy to follow as anything I have seen.

Once you have burned the pi image just plug in a keyboard and screen and boot it up. Easiest on Ethernet to start but WiFi also fine.

Make sure you burn the image properly and that it boots up

Ah no it was the guide attached above
I will look for the Pi quick start guide, thanks.
Burnt the Pi image??? Yeah you see I am an absolute novice I am afraid. :grinning:

I will look at the guide…but I think my Pi is dead. I have plugged it in …and there is nothing!

Steve here is the one on this website, but there is also a nice visual guide.

and the link directly to the PDF is http://codexwilkes.com/downloads/ropieee-guide-for-beginners.pdf

Have a look at this and it makes it much easier to understand

Yeah this is the guide posted above…its like a foreign language to me I am afraid. I have very little PC and networking knowledge .

However my Pi was ordered as it was all fully assembled, and it has all of the software downloaded I assume.

I thought I would just need my network to see it…and then set it up wirelessly to act as a Roon endpoint.
The guy I ordered it off said he would help me set it up…but I hate not being able to do stuff myself :grinning:

Did you read the beginners guide as that is about as simple a guide as I have ever seen.
Sadly there is a minimum level of skill required but hopefully you will get there.

I read the beginners guide but like I say its all baffling to me.

My Pi is fully assembled and ready for Roon. I assume Riopee is already installed on the SD card??

I assumed all I would have to do is get my network to see the Pi?
Then get it up and working wirelessly upstairs with my HP rig.

I go for turnkey solutions for a reason :grinning:
I cant find a guide that tells me how to set up a fully assembled Pi.

Did you mean the guide attached above.

This is not simple to me at all I am afraid. I am a 58 year old Financial Adviser…so software and PCs are a bit alien to me . I use them for my business obviously but anything other than the basics I struggle with.

I bought it off ebay it was described as

Roon Endpoint / Bridge Volumio / RoPieee Streamer

I assumed all of the hard work had been done for me :grinning:

Panic over , the eBay seller is going to help me set it up

PS The USB Power supply unit was dead …no wonder i struggled :grinning: :grinning:

No wonder it was never going to work!!
Good luck

1 Like

I think this might amuse some of you on here as this is how stupid I am at times
I forgot I have my lap top in my headphone room and I use it to control Roon when I am working upstairs.

So yes I have just set this up to play Roon to the lap top, and attached the lap top via USB to my Burson Headphone Amp…so all of that time and I had my solution right in front of me :grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

EDIT…a big edit. Forget this it sounds dreadful…what a huge difference.
So now wondering if the Pi is going to give me the same drastic drop in sound quality. I do mean drastic too its incredibly dull.

1 Like

Steve I would hope not.
You don’t hear many people on the forums saying a Pi sounds bad. You might hear that that this particular device sounds better than a Pi (but they usually cost much more).

Where are you on your journey to having a working Pi as a streamer?

Hi Michael
The Pi has just arrived. The ebay seller i bought it off is ringing me tonight to help me set it up.
Yeah it has to be better than the PC , that was a shock :grinning:

I mean at present I am just using my IPhone XR connected via USB so I am hoping its similar sound quality. If not its not too expensive a mistake

Steve

1 Like

Good luck Steve

1 Like

If it does not work its not the end of the world as I can continue to use the Iphone and Tidal as opposed to Roon. Thanks for all of your help with this.

1 Like