AFP mounted folders not supported, use SMB instead?

I keep my iTunes library on the hard drive of my 2TB Time Capsule, which is ethernet linked to my router. I then send the signal to my airport express. When I tried to use this is as a folder, the program stated that “AFP mounted folders are not supported, use SMB instead” whatever that means. Is there an easy solution to this?

Thanks
Matthew

Yes, you need to connect using SMB rather than AFP: smb://ServerName/ShareName instead of afp://DOMAIN;User@ServerName/ShareName

THx I’ll give that a try.

It keeps saying “host unreachable.” grr.

@Matthew_Partrick can you tell us the exact syntax you are using, are you using host name or ip address? Try both see if one works or you get a different error.

Russ

Apple is depreciating AFP for SMB. AFP will not be supported by their new file system (APFS).

If possible move off AFP.

If using Roon you shouldn’t be using it anyhow

OK, still having a hard time getting Roon to recognize my iTunes music folder. I may have mentioned that the iTunes music folder is, in my specific configuration, stored on an external 2TB Time Capsule. When I attempt to add it by using the browse function, Roon says: “No iTunes library found at this location. The selected path must contain your itunes library XML file.”

When I tried the aforementioned manually entered file pathways, I couldn’t get it to work either.

Bump to the top. Any Roonlabs tech support guys on the forum today could help me out?

Thanks

Hey @Matthew_Partrick – sorry for the trouble here. @Ratbert’s question above is still a good one (unless I missed the information somewhere):

It would also be helpful to know the basics of your configuration. Let @Eric and I know this information, and we’ll make sure we figure out what’s going on here.

Thanks!

Thanks Mike and Eric. I am running Roon version 1.2 64 bit with a 2015 MacBook Air running OSX Yosemite, 500 gb and a 2TB partitioned Time Capsule. The Time Capsule is basically acting as NAS, and it’s where my iTunes library is. I have approximately 7000 tracks. The signal path goes from Time Capsule wirelessly to an Airport Express, which then has a Toslink cable to my DAC, which is a Vinnie Rossi LIO DAC/MOSFET combo. For grins, the speakers are Joseph Audio Pulsars.

When I attempt to add my iTunes library, I hit the “browse” button and navigate to the Time Capsule hard drive, and then select the appropriate folder. The exact syntax is “/Volumes/Data/iTunes Media/Music”

I then click add iTunes library, and a message pops up saying “Error no iTunes Library was found at this location. The selected path must contain your iTunes Library XML file.”

Any help you can provide would be great.

Thanks again,
Matthew

@Matthew_Partrick, I don’t use iTunes but found this article, could this be your problem?

About the iTunes Library.xml file

The iTunes Library.xml file contains some, but not all, of the same information that’s stored in the iTunes Library.itl file. The purpose of the iTunes Library.xml file is to make your music and playlists available to other applications on your computer, such as iPhoto, Garageband, iMovie, and third-party software, in OS X Mountain Lion and earlier. These applications use this file to make it easier for you to add music from your iTunes library to your projects.
By default, iTunes 12.2 and later doesn’t create an iTunes Library.xml. If you’re using OS X Mountain Lion or earlier or a third-party app that uses the XML file, you need to enable Legacy library XML support:
Open iTunes.
From the menu bar at the top of your computer screen, choose iTunes > Preferences.
Click the Advanced tab.
Select “Share iTunes Library XML with other applications.”

Russ

Thanks Russ for your reply. I already have “share iTunes Library XML” checked under advanced, so that’s not the problem. Good idea though.

Bump to the top for Mike and Eric. Can we do a screen share to sort this out? I have basically run out of my free trial trying to sort this out.

Thanks
Matthew

Hey @Matthew_Partrick@Eric is going to follow up with you shortly, him and I discussed this earlier.

I just extended your trial so we have some time to look into this. We generally use screen share sessions as a sort of last resort, but I’m sure Eric will arrange that if he feels it’s necessary. For now, your trial is extended until 9/14, and we’ll be happy to extend it again if needed to ensure you get a full 2 weeks to evaluate Roon once this is all resolved.

Thanks and sorry for the trouble here!

Thank you for your generosity. I’m pretty much guaranteed to go lifetime on this trip if I can get it to work, and if it means I have to move my library then so be it. I’d much rather a Tidal-type interference with a backup iTunes sort by genre etc., so it’ll be worth it for me to move the library on the Time Capsule onto another more conventional NAS. Email me or reply to this thread and I’m just so happy you guys are on it from a customer service standpoint.

Thanks
Matthew

Hi @Matthew_Partrick ----- I am sorry for the trouble here, I am sure we can get this figured out for you :slight_smile:

I will be contacting you momentarily with instructions on how you can upload a copy of your iTunes XML to our servers, so our developers can take a look. I’d also like to confirm if you are running iTunes and roon server on the same machine. Thanks!

-Eric

Hi there, yes running both iTunes 12.4.1.6 and Roon (?1.2) on the same macbook air.

Thanks for your help

A post was split to a new topic: Network share unmounted, trying to re-mount in Roon