After latest update, my PC screen is black & garbled - unusable

Oh well, it was worth a try … back to Roon’s @support.

Thanks for trying what @Carl suggested, @Richard_Tibbets.

I’ve passed a report with all of this information to our QA team for further investigation. As soon as I have their feedback I’ll follow up with you here.

Hey @Dylan,

Can you give me an update on the resolution to my problem before your team clocks out for the weekend?

If you don’t yet have a fix identified, can you at least please tell me what this latest Roon update altered within the video related software that has affected my PC?

Thanks.

Rick

Hi @Richard_Tibbets,

The team investigated this and has passed a ticket over to our development team. I don’t have any specific timelines I can provide at this time but I’ll be sure to update you as soon as we have more information!

Hi Dylan,

Can I please get an update on my monitor display problem. Roon has worked great for me for over 2 years, and now it’s broken due to something within your last update. There have been no changes to my laptop at all. And the only thing to come out of your team so far is: “Check your video driver.”

Rick

Hi,

Have you trying installing Build 528 that was released yesterday?

Yes. I got an offer for an update earlier today & installed it. Using my roon remote PC I verified the core is at build 528.

The problem looks the same. Still not working.

Rick

It’s been a week since any activity on this thread. Is there any encouraging update, I hope?

Rick

I’ll tag @dylan / @support for you.

Hi @Richard_Tibbets,

Apologies for the delayed response here. This ticket is still with our development team and I’ve requested an update. Our last release addressed a majority of the issues related to older GPUs but there are appear to still be some GPUs that are behaving improperly. The team continues to look into this and we’ll be sure to keep you up to date once more information is available.

Hi Dylan,
It’s been 3 weeks since any updates for me. Can you please find someone who can give me some explanation why this Roon software worked well for me for 2 years, and now it’s broke, and your team is unable to get it back working for me. Very very frustrating.

Rick

Hi @Richard_Tibbets,

To elaborate a bit on the issue, it appears that there are devices that are running on older GPUs that have drivers that have bugs in their Open GL implementation. Roon uses Open GL for it’s UI and, while we’ve confirmed that our implementations are correct for devices that properly support Open GL, some GPU models are not supporting this properly and it’s resulting in issues like what you are seeing here. Our latest update contained a number of changes that worked around these driver bugs and, for a majority of the devices affected, this seems to be working. Unfortunately, in this case, the GPU on your device (and a very small number of other devices) are still behaving incorrectly.

As to why this worked before and only recently became an issue — As we continue to push the graphical capabilities of Roon forward, we will continue to use more Open GL features. We’ve recently implemented more Open GL features which is why this behavior only just started for you after an update.

Ultimately it appears that more changes will need to be made to address the Open GL support limitations on this device and it’s something we are actively looking into doing. For the moment I can’t make any guarantees about timelines for further changes here — This will take some further investigation, workarounds, and testing from our development and QA teams in order to get this device up and running — What I can say, though, is that we are continuing to look into this and we’ll be sure to keep in touch when we have further changes in this area.

You have our apologies for the trouble here, Richard. If you have any questions please do feel free to reach out.

@Richard_Tibbets, apologies if this is not appropriate to your use case; have you considered running Roon Server on the problem laptop, and controlling it from another device?

Hi Andy. Thanks for the suggestion. That’s what I’ve been doing for the past month to be able to control Roon from my desktop PC on the other side of the room. But I want to use my HDTV to display Roon and make it easy for me to use and access it anywhere in my listening room using my remote. The laptop display can output to the TV.

Since you guys have not been able to fix it, I’ve been considering getting a Chromecast device to feed the TV, or just buying a new laptop PC. I’m not 100% certain Chromecast will work, and the new laptop option is a stretch for my budget right now.

Rick

The Chromecast route should work. I use it for one of my zones in conjunction with a Samsung TV.

I think I’d go with a Chromecast for now; see if it does what you want. There seems to be a bit of a premium on laptops at the moment. You might think everyone was trying to work from home for some reason…

In the end a laptop’s not ideal to run the core, so you might want to consider an alternative at some point in the future anyway, especially if your current laptop is still fine for other laptop-ish duties…

A phone or tablet would work as a remote.

Edit: not sure you ever said - is the laptop connected to your DAC by usb?

Yes my laptop connects via USB to both an Exasound & a Wyred4Sound DAC. I also use a Jitterbug & Uptone Audio device to help with jitter.

I think I’ll try a Chromecast. Is the Chromecast Ultra work with Roon as well?

A Chromecast Ultra is what I have for the TV. Bear in mind that what you will get on the TV is the content of the “Now Displaying” screen.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Can not get the Roon display on to the Chromecast TV