After Power Outage Can't Find Roon Core

Aha! And if I understood correctly you are using the Windows 11 machine as the Roon control device, yes? And just to confirm, that’s wired on the Ethernet too, and not inadvertently on the wifi?

My Windows 11 Desktop is Ethernet. I have always used it to connect to the Core. I also, use my Android Tablet through Wifi to connect to the Core when the Core is working.

Another surprise for me that the tablet works if you have different subnets for wifi and ethernet, but in any case then I am sorry to say that I am totally out ideas or where to look next :man_facepalming:

And the tablet is currently also not working to access the Nucleus I guess?

Correct there is no core to connect to.

I thought there “is” one in the sense that it answers to pings?

A ping is not the same as a working Core on the Nucleus. All the ping proves is the device is on the network it doesn’t mean there is a working Roon Core Software that can be discovered. The software searches for the Core but can’t find it.

What is the IP of the windows11 machine?
What is the IP of the tablet?
If I read correctly, the IP of the Nucleus is 192.168.1.66, correct?

On the windows11 can you check your firewall and either disable it for testing or make sure that Roon.exe and RAATserver.exe are added as exceptions?

Can you hook a monitor or TV to the HDMI on the Nucleus to see what it is doing during bootup?

I know

Exactly, so there is one, it is just not found by the control devices. Which may, e.g., be caused by subnets because ping traverses subnets but Roon discovery does not

The Ratserver and Roon.exe’s are allowed on the Norton Firewall. I tried disabling the firewall and installing the Roon software with the same no success.

Device : DESKTOP-PBKALHP

Device Information|Type|Value|
| — | — |
|Connection Type|Ethernet|
|IPv6 Link Local Address|fe80::f317:f1a4:58c8:b0bf|
|IPv6 Stateless Address|2600:1702:1950:3210:c568:9c32:ecfb:ecbf|
|DHCPv6 Address|2600:1702:1950:3210::78a|
|IP Address|192.168.1.69|
|LAN IP Address Allocation|DHCP|
|IP Address Type|Private (NAT)|
|Hardware Address|e4:54:e8:ba:6f:6a|
|SSID|n/a|
|Status|On|

I’m not sure about connecting HDMI from the Roon to the TV. I’d have to enable the Nucleus HDMI ports, which I would need the core software for. Plus my TV is farther away from my Nucleus than any HDMI cable length I have.

No, the HDMI outputs in Roon are for audio output. @bearFNF is looking for the video output that provides a basic text display with error messages (helpful if Roon OS does not boot, for instance). This works on brand new devices that have never been connected to any Core.

It it’s not hidden away, you could move the Nucleus maybe. It does not necessarily need a network connection to show basic output, but it might be helpful if it has one

Wouldn’t the logs give this information? I put some log information in my original message. I’ve been on this problem for several days now. I believe the power outage has damaged the Nucleus and I may need to send it back to Roon for repair.

It’s all quite weird. I would guess if there was a power outage damage it would most likely not boot at all, not be pingable nor accessible for logs. That’s the typical error signature that seems to come up on the forum in this case.

To me it looks like it runs fine, it’s on the network, can be pinged and so on. The only thing that does not seem to be working is discovery by the remotes. That’s why I am going on about possible network configuration issues that prevent discovery by Roon (which, like I said, is different to pinging with regard to the network configuration)

Personally, I doubt that the HDMI output would tell us more than what you already have. It would tell us its IP but it seems to be it would not tell us a different one than what you already have. But if I were in your situation, at this point I would try everything.

And I still can’t get over the fact that it identifies as “rock” on the network

Device Details

Device : ROCK

Device Information|Type|Value|
| — | — |
|Connection Type|Ethernet|
|IPv6 Link Local Address|fe80::56b2:3ff:fe98:77ca|
|DHCPv6 Address|2600:1702:1950:3210::446|
|IP Address|192.168.1.66|
|LAN IP Address Allocation|DHCP|
|IP Address Type|Private (NAT)|
|Hardware Address|54:b2:03:98:77:ca|
|SSID|n/a|
|Status|On|

Yeah, that looks fine to me as well except that I simply do not understand why “rock” :slight_smile:

From the 2 configs of the desktop and the “rock” that you posted, at least they are clearly on the same subnet, which doesn’t explain anything either, except that it supports that it should work and be discoverable - but it’s not. It’s infuriating :slight_smile:

John, if you manage to connect a monitor/TV set and USB keyboard to your Nucleus, you could try and reset the device’s network configuration. This obviously would require the Nucleus to be connected to its Ethernet subnet, too.

To reset the network settings, once you see on the monitor that the Nucleus is active, just press Enter, then write resetnetwork and press Enter again.

By this the network settings of the device are refreshed, and it will ask for a fresh IP from the DHCP server active on your network. This in some similar cases helped to resolve the problem.

2 Likes

I didn’t name it. I’m shutting down for the evening. I have to get my popcorn ready for TV viewing with the wife.

Thanks for your help.

I thought so, which makes it more mysterious. Have a nice evening! I guess we need support to pull full logs from the Nucleus

I think there is a network command that would allow me to accomplish this through a command prompt. I’ll look into that versus HDMI.

Yes, the command is resetnetwork, but you have to connect the keyboard to the Nucleus, as you can’t open a remote secure shell session or anything on this device. But this is what I would try to troubleshoot your problem.

I’m sorry to say this, but I suspect a fried motherboard.

If this suggestion doesn’t work, that’s bad. I hope it’s not like that.
However, it would definitely make sense to consider a UPS.