After updating Roon on DietPi OS, loss of database

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Low power ASRock barebone with 8Gb ram, 120Gb SSD for OS (DietPi) and 6Tb drive for media.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Wired to Router, iPad on 5Ghz WLAn

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
USB direct connection and wired Bluesound Vault as endpoint

Description Of Issue
I had a perfectly good, working Roon Core on this server with a database containing around 130K tracks incl 5K tracks from Qobuz and Tidal. After updating to Build 521 my whole database was gone!!!
No audio devices, no services configured, no library, and no configured storage spaces. :roll_eyes:
Besides, after the update i was forced to “log in” to authenticate the server (10minutes ago?)
Before this i had already switched to my default Roon Core (QNAP) and initialized the update but that one didn’t seem to be corrupted.
I am really glad i performed a database backup a few days ago… Otherwise analysing 135K files takes several days…

HI @Mikael_Ollars,

If you have not yet restored from a backup - can you please use these instructions to send a copy of your Roon logs via Dropbox / Google Drive /

Ah, sorry, i finished restoring my backup half an hour ago.
Really strange, this particular server has been restarted and powered off quite a few times since it was built and finished its library analysis.
I have never had any issues with it, other than the weird behaviour of Qobuz due to the faulty system time, if you saw that?
Thanks for looking into this, nevertheless.

Hi @Mikael_Ollars,

Without the logs its unfortunately hard to say what exactly occurred here.

If the behavior re-occurs, please save a copy of the Roon logs (but hopefully this was a one-time issue).


1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

I’m less than impressed with the current update as it once more seem to have erased my complete library… :frowning:

This happened on my DietPi x86 install.

Same issue as this one
I’ll send the logs tomorrow…

Hi Noris,
Here are the logs from the second issue. (complete loss of database when automatic update to build 528 happened)

Hi @Mikael_Ollars,

I have merged your previous report into this thread and re-opened it so that we can continue our discussion here.

Thanks for sending the new log set. I am looking the files you submitted and there appears to be just one Roon_log.txt file included here, did you exclude previous log files from the upload when you sent them?

Ideally, I would like to see what transpired between when you started the update to the new build and it’s install, if you have the remaining log files that show the update process, can you please send those over as well?

Sorry Noris, i didn’t look inside the RoonServer folder, just zipped it up.
I did notice that my MacBook Pro zipped up the folder and contents very quickly… :frowning:
I have since restored my database from backup, and the Roon Server is running now.

I wrote a comment in another thread, tagging Dan Knight, where Roon Core on DietPi was the subject.
Wiz responded saying he had the same experience previously, so i figure this most likely is related to the DietPi implementation of the Roon Server software?

Hi @Mikael_Ollars,

Since you are running DietPi as the OS, we really can’t make any guarantees here on how it will behave following a Roon update. Perhaps an update is overwriting the entire RoonServer folder?

It’s hard to say what exactly is going on, but you may want to reach out directly to Dan to investigate this further.

Yep, i have done that already. Hopefully @Dan_Knight will react with some form of feedback.
Another solution would be having ROCK UEFI boot? :wink:

1 Like

Hey guys, I’m sorry that this issue has been open for such a long time, also due to lack of reply on our forum I lost track of it. If you face an issue with DietPi, please @MichaIng mention me here now, I’ve enabled email notifications. Daniel is not active at DietPi anymore (sadly) due to personal circumstances.

Thanks for figuring out that the data directory within the core directory is the reason for this issue. We’ll fix this with next DietPi release by splitting both, a PR has been opened (which triggered my activity here): Have Roon database in separate directory when installing Roon Server by JanKoudijs · Pull Request #4897 · MichaIng/DietPi · GitHub


This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.