Album Art not displaying

Hi @Eric,

It may have been me you are thinking of. The last time it upgraded, sporadic album art turned black. The fix was to uninstall, reboot, reinstall, and then restore an old backup.

That worked until the recent upgrade (of course, MS also had tons of update since).

And I did uninstall Roon, cleared out all the folders (Roon and RAATServer), and then reinstalled the latest downloaded Roon 64-bit setup. I reconfigured the paths and audio device and let Roon do its thing. It enumerated for a while and when it stopped, found the albums but the metadata was not all correct and all album art were black/blank In fact, I tried to let it choose some albums and it just spins (checked firewall and itā€™s allowing the ports and app through).

So I figured since I cannot see the album art anyway, I may as well just restore so I can have my curated metadata back on.

I noticed there are lots of these image access errors:

08/19 22:58:29 Error: Error loading image (immediate): Could not find a part of the path ā€˜C:\Users\Hedwig Poon\AppData\Local\Roon\Database\Core\9e87edd3360c4f2fa648a126784ec6de\images_1\nm\ga\nmgaaaaa.256.jpgā€™.
08/19 22:58:29 Error: Error loading image (immediate): Could not find a part of the path ā€˜C:\Users\Hedwig Poon\AppData\Local\Roon\Database\Core\9e87edd3360c4f2fa648a126784ec6de\images_1\pm\ga\pmgaaaaa.256.jpgā€™.
08/19 22:58:29 Error: Error loading image (immediate): Could not find a part of the path ā€˜C:\Users\Hedwig Poon\AppData\Local\Roon\Database\Core\9e87edd3360c4f2fa648a126784ec6de\images_1\ln\ga\lngaaaaa.256.jpgā€™.

Of course, those paths are gone now since I wiped all the Roon directories but doesnā€™t Roon update the images from download?

Thx again.

Hedwig

This is happening all the time on my install too. Normally I just restart the iPad app and everything is fine for a while. But this is getting to the point that I am restarting every 5 minutes or so as I always am losing access to album art, local and tidal.

I am running roon core on windows 10 an i7 server with 32gb ram. Over a gigE network, this problem started a few months ago. I have since done a fresh install as I had the old DB for about 1.5 years. It seems to be getting worse as time goes on. Do you want me to open a separate thread or use this one to troubleshoot.

-Joe

In a way, itā€™s good to know Iā€™m not experiencing this exclusively. Iā€™m still curious if itā€™s a Roon update or an MS update thatā€™s caused this.

-H

Hi @Hedwig_Poon1 ----- Thank you for the follow up and providing the requested feedback. Both are appreciated.

Youā€™ve mentioned the following:

ā€œIt enumerated for a while and when it stopped, found the albums but the metadata was not all correct and all album art were black/blank In fact, I tried to let it choose some albums and it just spins (checked firewall and itā€™s allowing the ports and app through).ā€

• If you were starting from a completely fresh state without the use of a backup, you would not be able to retain any edits you had made and same would go for any album artwork that was associated with the ā€œlibrary groomingā€ you had performed. When you had tried to choose ā€œsome albumsā€ and made the observation that it ā€œjust spinsā€, can you be a bit more specific.

So I figured since I cannot see the album art anyway, I may as well just restore so I can have my curated metadata back on."

• My gut feeling is that something is wrong with the backups, which could have been the result of saving the materials back to your db folder, which is why I am not surprised to see the log traces stating that you have content missing. We are discussing ways to prevent people from making this mistake in the future.

-Eric

Hi @JBNY ----- Thank you for chiming in and sharing your feedback with us.

Moving forward, can you please verify that you are not saving any Roon backups, back to your Roon folder. Then using the instructions found here, upload us a set of your logs, and weā€™ll take a closer look at what could be going on.

-Eric

Hi @Eric,

Sorry, maybe I wasnā€™t clear. No backups were restored upon uninstalling and deleting the folders. A fresh copy was installed and it found the files after configuring the locations and audio devices. But it just spins when trying to get album art (like when I click an individual album) As mentioned, whatever metadata that Roon finds for the albums are sometimes incorrect (like a different language Disney soundtrack for a North American release).

All the while when Roon is not happy with metadata, JRMC is displaying the same folders correctly. So it would seem the data is accessible and the internet is fine (for other apps).

TL;dr: Purged Roon app and files. D/L again, installed, and configured. Roon finds files but not album art.

Sure thing Eric, I just did my first backup on this roon instance this morning so I am sure it is not backing up to the same folder. My backup folder is located on a different drive than the roon program. below are log files.

www.jkbhome.com/files/RAAT_Logs_JBNY20170823.zip

Thanks for the clarification, @Hedwig_Poon1. Very appreciated! I am going to be discussing this behavior in greater detail with the team to see if we can determine the cause of this issue.

When you have a free moment can you please provide me a new set of logs, using the instructions found in my earlier post? Thanks!

-Eric

Hi @JBNY ā€” Thank you for the follow up, it looks like you have sent us over a copy of your RAATServer logs. Could you please provide me with your Roon logs?

-Eric

I run raatserver and only access with iPads. Iā€™m not sure what you are asking.

Hi @Eric,

Sorry for this hassle. So I uninstalled it again but this time I selected the files/folders/settings option to let the uninstaller remove everything. Previously, I just uninstalled the app and did the folder (%username%\AppData\Roon) delete manually.

Now upon reinstalling, it regenerated all the album art. So there may have been registry setting?? that the uninstall didnā€™t purge.

My question now is that this is not the first time where I had to do a clean installation after an upgrade/update. I now have to go through my library and replace images that are incorrectly downloaded. Good thing it still has the folder.jpg image on the NAS. But, nevertheless, an arduous task.

Also, as mentioned, hereā€™s a sample of Roon tagging an album incorrectly. While this particular fix was straight-forward, the requirement to do so for all incorrect identification is a pain. And to do it everytime the upgrades corrupts the library database is worse. I had thought the point of restoring from a backup was to alleviate such an issue. :frowning:

BTW, roon logs zipped here: Roon Logs

-Hedwig

Hi @JBNY ---- In order for us to determine what can be going on with your album artwork we need to see Roon logs, as RAATServer logs will not contain the necessary information to address this behavior.

Based on your initial report and this most recent follow up, my assumption is that you are running headless (no GUI on the mentioned i7 server) and thus noticing this behavior on your remote devices (please confirm).

In light of this, we have a method for extracting Roon logs from remote devices which, I will be providing to you in a PM momentarily.

Thanks!
-Eric

I can VNC into the roon server. but it is only running core, as it is in the basement, but there is no keyboard or monitor, it is headless. The i7 server also runs vmware for a home automation server but that is it.

1 Like

Oops, sorry yes I am only noticing this behavior on my remote devices.

1 Like

Hi @Hedwig_Poon1 ----- Thank you for the follow up and the insight, both are appreciated.

Moving forward, I am glad to hear that things are back in a ā€œstableā€ state in regard to your album artwork, after the reinstall. Indeed, a healthy backup should preserve your edits etc should a time come when a restore is needed. However, as stated in my previous post it sounds like your backup(s) have been corrupted, which is why you are seeing traces in logs that state file paths as ā€œmissingā€. If the backup(s) was in perfect health, all the ā€œinformationā€ would be consistent, in this case it was not.

Furthermore, is it possible for you to provide me with a sample of media, that you are noticing this ā€œincorrect identificationā€ with?

-Eric

Hi @JBNY ---- Thank you for the follow up PM, very appreciated!

Confirming that the support package has been received and now is attached to my report which is with our tech team who will be evaluating the information contained in your remote logs. Once my report has been updated and passed back, I will be sure to share the teamā€™s thoughts/findings with you asap.

Your patience while our team conducts their analysis is very appreciated!
-Eric