Album Art not displaying

Hi,

I got the lifetime sub recently and it updated my Roon 1.3 to the current version (build 218). Afterwards, some albums are not displaying properly (blank or black).

For example, the Mary Poppins soundtrack shows no image art.

So I have a JPG saved and browse to it.

But when I save it, it still shows the blank/black image.

Also, another example is the Guardian of the Galaxy soundtrack. Again, no album art shown and if I edit the metadata, none of the album art lists.

Is there a way to fix this without redoing the whole library? It took a lot of effort to curate this with proper info prior to the images going bad.

Thanks.

Hedwig

Have you tried preferring the Roon versions? Based on what I see when I go to the Tidal versions of these albums, that should work.

You might also try clearing the image cache (Settings > Setup) and restarting.

1 Like

Thx, David.

Tried it but the same results. Black album art. It’s only some albums too. I’ll see if I can download different images and try again.

-H

Tagging @support.

Hi @Hedwig_Poon1 ----- Thank you for the report and my apologies for the troubles here. Can you please provide some details about your current setup as seen here, so I have a better idea of what gear you’re working with?

Furthermore, besides the update to build 218, can you think of any other changes that may have occurred to your setup (i.e new gear, new applications, OS updates, etc)? I am trying to determine if there are any other variables that could be influencing this behavior.

-Eric

Thx, Dave @orgel for pinging Roons support!

Hi Eric @Eric,

Sorry to bug again. Seems I just finished asking you one question after another.

Anyway, I got around it but renaming the JPG and retagging the album to it. It’s weird that the ones that didn’t show, if I were to re-download the image overwriting the existing one, it still wouldn’t show. But if I just rename the same “problem” file to another name, it’s now working. The JPGs in question displays properly in Windows Explorer and other image editing apps.

No updates other than Defender defs. Haven’t put Creators Update on as I’m on W10 Enterprise (not released yet). No other updates since (drivers nor patches).

But it’s fixed now…just weird.

Cheers,
Hedwig

1 Like

Hi @Hedwig_Poon1 ---- Thank you for touching base with me and no worries at all :wink: I appreciated you following up and sharing what the “resolve” was here. Let me know if anything else comes up and I will be glad to help.

Happy listening!
-Eric

Hi @support,

Gack…after another Roon update now lost all album art. Tried clearing cache but no luck. JRiver MC 23 is fine looking at the same library.

Configuration…

Storage: PC (Intel Core i7 6700K, 16GB mem, ASUS Maximus VIII Gene mobo, Intel 750 400GB NVMe 1/2 height SSD [OS/Apps], WDC Blue 4TB SSHD, ASUS Dual GTX1060 3GB video, Antec 750W PS, MS Windows 10 Ent 1703 build 15063.540) -> D-Link DGS-1005G Switch -> QNAP HS-251+ NAS

Audio: PC -> Curious USB Cable -> Uptone Regen (v2) -> Curious Cable Regen Link -> Chord Hugo TT -> Focal Alpha 65

Roon Version 1.3 build 247

Thx again.

-Hedwig Poon

Hi @Hedwig_Poon1 ---- Thank you for touching base, and sorry to hear of the troubles.

Moving forward, could you please use the instructions found here and upload load us a set of logs from the device hosting your Roon core and we’ll have a closer look at what’s going on.

-Eric

Hi @Eric,

Thanks for getting back. Here are the two logs zipped files (RAATServer Logs folder + Roon Logs folder).

//www.encompass-tech.com/Downloads/Roon_Logs.zip
//www.encompass-tech.com/Downloads/RAATServer_Logs.zip

Cheers,
Hedwig

Thanks @Hedwig_Poon1, confirming that your logs have been received. I will let you know what the team comes up with once they’ve completed their analysis. Your patience is very appreciated!

-Eric

Thx again, @Eric.

One other thing, I guess Roon keeps trying to update metadata. The issue I have is that I have been curating my library a lot and set all the soundtracks artist to show Original Soundtrack (so this are listed together in album view). Seems Roon has blitzed a few of my edits and changed the album artists. Further, one of the album (Disney’s Princess and the Frog soundtrack) became its Spanish version for a while. I had to manually change it back…of course, no album art (it just spins trying to display it).

Hi @Eric,

Any news?

For the record, I backed up the library, uninstalled Roon and erase all the folders, and reinstalled the latest download. Still no images. I then tried to restore the backup which got my curation back but still no album art.

Thx again.

Hedwig

Hi @Hedwig_Poon1 ---- Thank you for touching base with me. Your ticket is still in the team’s queue and I am currently waiting for an update on their findings. Once the ticket has been passed back I will be sure to update you immediately.

In the meantime, the team has requested a screenshot highlighting the contents of your database. In the interest of keeping this information private, I am going to be sending you a PM (momentarily) with an example of exactly what they are looking for.

-Eric

Hi @Hedwig_Poon1 ----- Thank you for the follow up! Confirming that I have received the supplied PDF.

-Eric

Hi @Hedwig_Poon1 ----- Thank you for your patience while we have been looking further into this behavior for you.

I would just like to point something out that I noticed in your screenshots the other day. It looks like you have been backing up your Roon database to a folder inside the Roon database (folder). Can you please confirm?

-Eric

Hi @Eric,

You are correct that the backups were in that folder when I did the tree listing. But I only copied it there for restoring the library after reinstalling Roon (my previous post). It’s not there anymore as it’s configured in its own folder now.

Hedwig

1 Like

I often have this problem, Restarting Roon usually does the trick. Dontknow if its a memory issue.

Thx…restarted (app/PC/NAS), reinstalled, and cleared cache multiple times to no avail.

Folder is definitely accessible. Other brand’s app can see the album art fine. Roon also plays the album fine. Just no album art.

Hedwig

Hi @Hedwig_Poon1 ------ Thank you verifying that information for me and my apologies for the delayed response.

Roon’s backup process (as I am sure you’re aware), will backup everything in the Roon folder (other than the /Application directory), so I wanted to make sure you weren’t potentially getting into trouble by backing up, your backups.

Moving forward, after reviewing all my notes on this issue you’ve reported I recalled that I had another user report a similar behavior a few months ago with their album art and I remember that they ended up fixing this behavior by starting with a fresh DB. I see that you mentioned, you’ve reinstalled the application. Can you verify for me if this was a completely new install or did restore from a backup?

-Eric