Album format on Browser: Change to 16/44 for CD quality

I would like to request that album format marker on browser for 16/44.1 resolution be numerical (some form of 16/44), analogous to the current marker for 24/96 etc.

Album format should reflect resolution, not medium. The current marker (CD) reflects medium, and it always misleads me into thinking that the album is one of my CD imports. Moreover, 16/44 is no longer just CD resolution; it is also the majority of Tidal albums.

17 Likes

I actually agree with this, as I also find the CD icon confusing and inconsistent. It’s not a CD, its a 16/44 rip.

I hear you but CD is 16/44 which to me makes sense as is. Perhaps a display option would work here. We get to choose…

1 Like

CD = Red Book
Red Book = 16 bit/44.1kHz
16 bit/44.1kHz = CD

So CD = 16/44

I don’t see the issue…

2 Likes

Nope, your transitive logic does not work.

All Red Book CD audio is 16 bit 44.1 kHz. But not all 16 bit 44.1 kHz is Red Book CD audio. Other, non disc sources exist.

AJ

It does work. Because all 16/44 audio is equivalent to CD audio. Do you think Tidal ripped all their 16/44 audio from CDs? Of course not. But they are the same files that are on CDs.

1 Like

Again, no, Scott. You are stretching and straining to fit the situation to your flawed logic.

Not all 16 bit 44.1 kHz audio even is granted a CD release these days.

AJ

But its not a CD. If a car is red, that doesn’t make it a fire truck, or yellow a taxi.

Look, my logic said that 16/44 was equal to what is on a CD and that what is on a CD was equal to 16/44. No where did I say that all 16/44 content was from CDs or that it’s source was only CDs. Just that there were equivalent.

I don’t know why you have to be so pedantic. But in this case, you are just plain wrong.

All Roon is saying is that 16/44 is CD quality. What is up with you people?

2 Likes

Mike is correct. I can record myself reciting the Declaration of Independence at 16 bit 44.1 kHz on a laptop SSD. Not even close to an optical disc step anywhere in the process. If I import that recording, Roon will stamp it “CD.”

AJ

Once more, no, Scott. Roon indicates “CD.” It does not say “equal to CD” or “CD equivalent” or “CD quality.” You are assuming logical connections that do not necessarily exist.

Look, you apparently do not like to be corrected, here and elsewhere. In that case, just stop being incorrect. Problem solved.

AJ

3 Likes

Just to offer a bit more clarity, yes, you did make the flawed assertions above through your use of the “=” (e.g. 16 bit/44.1 kHz = CD) because that indicates a biconditional relationship.

AJ

Flipping heck let it go.

This reminds me of the Cambridge University Studen Union who have been in the news lately where they seem to be struggling to find intellectual ways to be offended… Banning Applause and Poppies etc…

Roon should label any 48 kHz audio “DVD.” So, let it be done. That is the level of logic on display from many here.

AJ

5 Likes

This thread made me smile. :smile:

Logic says it should change, but do I really care?

3 Likes

Actually Andrew and Highfi are right.

All CD’s are 16/144.1 but not all 16/144.1 recordings are CD’s.
Just like all cats are animals but not all animals are cats.

It’s basic logic 101.

1 Like

And why does the “DSD64” Roon stamp exist? Per the defense of “CD” logic here, that stamp should be “SACD” instead. Consistency.

AJ

2 Likes

+1 for the OP’s request. I would prefer to see 16/44.1 instead of “CD”.

1 Like