Album format on Browser: Change to 16/44 for CD quality

John, CD ripping software would not “change how the resolution is identified.” It could upsample to a rate greater than 16 bit 44.1 kHz. But there is almost no legitimate reason to do so at the ripping stage. And if upsampling is performed at any stage, then the audio no longer is “CD” nor 16 bit 44.1 kHz.

AJ

I am recording a bunch of old LPs. I capture them at 16/44.1. They show in Roon with the CD designation. I lol.

They will at 16/44 that’s CD resolution.

or add another marker? one for media format and one for resolution. Etc.
SACD DSD64
CD 16/44.1
Digital 16/44.1
DVD-A 16/48
Vinyl 24/96

You can use versions for this. I use Cassette in audiobook tapes I have digitised

Perhaps an extra icon (such as the ones for Live, Compilation, etc.) could be introduced for albums that have [Vinyl] after their title? In other words, have a numerical resolution marker on the album cover in the album browser for 16/44, plus an extra icon for Vinyl format.

I suppose this topic is old and the Roon people clearly don’t think the ideas here have merit. But I’m constantly annoyed by the inflexibility. Why can’t we toggle the “CD” moniker for 16/44.1 to be consistent? Seems like such a simple option to implement (speaking as a non-programmer, lol).

Cheers,
Robert

I think the option for 16/44 instead of CD makes sense

DSD64 does not equal SACD
PCM16/44 no longer equals CD

It made sense, and I totally see why the Roon team would decide this, but I agree we are beyond being tied to formats defining our files.

Of course DSD64 is the same as SACD and 16/44.1 is the same as CD.

The source for a DSD64 album may not be a SACD and the source for a 16/44.1 album may not be a CD, but that does not mean the respective formats are not the same.

Note: Roon shows DSD64 tracks as DSD64 tracks.

Jesus you guys need to get out more if this keeps you awake at night. Oh we can’t right now again, carry on then.

2 Likes

I had also requested this feature separately; sorry I hadn’t noticed this current earlier thread.

As far as I see it there are a few problems with the current bit depth/sample rate display in in Roon. The main one is that the bit depth/sample rate indicator gives the bit depth/sample rate for every format except for 16/44, where it says “CD” (in the album selection view). I would agree with what is discussed above, that this is misleading as it suggests that the music has come from a CD, which it may not have done. It’s also an inconsistent approach.

The second related issue, what @Derek_Morais has hinted at, is that a “source” metadata option is missing from Roon. Users should be able to specify whether the album source is CD, vinyl, web, cassette, Tidal, etc etc, with this shown along with the bit depth/sample rate. You can add these as tags but that is not as slick. Contrary to what some users above seem to believe, source and bit depth/sample rate are not the same thing.

2 Likes

16/44.1 is not always the same as CD. That is true only if it’s 16/44.1 WAV. 44.1/44.1 FLAC, ALAC, etc. are not the same as CD.

Strange, I have never seen a “CD” bitrate indicator, probably because all of my 16/44 is in FLAC, and always show as “FLAC 44.1kHz 16bit”. That leads me to believe that the “CD” indicator is reserved for 16/44 WAV.

Are you in the overall album browser, rather than looking at an individual album?

Go to Settings > General and turn on the “Show album format on browser” setting. Then you’ll see a “CD” graphic appear on those albums with 16/44 format in the Album Browser.

Okay, I see that now. But, considering the way I use Roon, I see no benefit FOR ME for that feature. But I’m glad it’s there for those who will benefit from it.

I think I can get behind this request. Thanks for suggesting it, @extracampine

Qobuz don’t refer to it as 16.44 quality music and it becomes irrelevant if you start up sampling to DSD or adding filters…

How about if it sounds right all is good in the world, I listen to my music…

Qobuz

HIGH DEFINITION STREAMING

Rediscover your music with higher quality. The biggest catalogue in the world of CD and Studio (Hi-Res) quality music with unlimited availability on all your devices.

Tidal
TIDAL HiFi allows you to stream audio in CD Quality, utilizing the lossless format FLAC.

Stick with CD, I know where I’m at and we all know we use files of greater than or equal to CD quality, don’t see an issue here.

+1 from me on this one

coming back to this and continuing to build my collection I still think that there should be a source tag, resolution tag, version tag, catalog number tag that can be hovered over the Cover Art. Just more data display options to user is nice for library viewing flexibility.