64GB RAM

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Fritz!Box 7590
Ethernet

Connected Audio Devices

Headbox S2Digital HDMI

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

When I go to the album overview and scroll, the image starts scrolling, I can’t stop it. I’ve only had this problem for a few days, but not every time?!

What version on Roon are you running on the core and remotes? And, what device are you seeing this?

Roon Version 2.0 (build 1244) production 64-Bit
Problem occurs on the monitor

Windows, macOS? Versions?

Windows 11 Pro Version 22H2

Now it´s running correct, it happens some times last days…

my NUC also regularly loses the hard drive
hdd
restart helps mostly.
could it be related to the fact that the nuc always gets very hot? Is there a way to cool it?!

First, is this correct? That’s somewhere in the region of 50,000 albums. Likewise, where are your media files stored, i.e., SSD/HDD, internal/external?

This is possible if the NUC becomes unresponsive, albeit I haven’t experienced this.

Typically, a NUC shouldn’t run too hot. If it does, it will, most likely, shutdown unexpectedly. Therefore, it is a good idea to clean the fan assembly from time-to-time.

you are right, i collected 30 years
I´ve showed this
hdd

Fan is good, there is no fan… the vents are clean…
I have a Seagate 16TB external hard drive

and the same again…
NUC is running about 7 hrs, I´m in the album-overview and it´s unable to stop the jumping, scrolling. While I´m writing, it stops, but what´s the reason?

I would guess the most likely reason may be that nearly a million tracks is too much for a NUC, hence it always is very busy and it’s unresponsive and hot

1 Like

so i have 64gb ram…

Yeah and the guide says for 250K tracks you need a fast CPU. You have nearly 4 times as much and a mobile-spec CPU.

From all the experiences shared on the forum with massive libraries, I can only conclude that you need a server/desktop-spec system that is a fast as possible/affordable

sounds interesting, what is that?, sprech ruhig deutsch mit mir

I wanted to add that a fanless NUC enclosure may not necessarily be specced for the CPU to be maxed all the time, so in this case it may get too hot, which will thermally throttle the CPU, killing performance.

For example, a current Ryzen can be twice as fast for a single thread

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/3567vs5234/Intel-i7-10710U-vs-AMD-Ryzen-9-7950X3D

And maybe more importantly, with a high performance cooling system should be able to deliver this always without getting throttled

Google for CPUs with the highest single-core performance. Something for gaming or servers with high loads. And load up with RAM

1 Like

I also thought about cooling, but how should I do that with this small housing

600 € again?!`

It doesn’t have to be this one, it is just an example for what the available performance spread approximately is. And 600 is just the CPU anyway :wink: If you just bought the NUC, it sucks, but the requirements KB page does not say that a NUC will be enough for a million tracks and strongly advises to engage with the community before buying.

You have to consider that the amount of database work grows faster than linearly with the number of albums/tracks, because each album/track/artist/etc links to several others, so the amount of crosslinks probably rises in some kind of exponential manner.

1 Like

could the problem possibly be due to the fact that I had to delete a large number of duplicates? Roon has the habit of only deleting the sound files (flac, wave, mp3), the images and other files remain on the hard drive. That means I will surely have almost 50000 unused folders. And I thought, it´s only a thing of the ram?!

Once the music file is out of the library roon doesn’t care about the remaining files and folders.
RAM does count but you need the raw horsepower of a faster CPU.

It’s like trying to tow a heavy load with a mini when you need a land rover.