Album view in playlists

Hi all,

This request was split over many topics, I’ve merged them into the original topic.
I’ve you’d like this feature please vote in this topic so that the votes aggregate together.

Hi Carl,

I fear you may have confused things rather than clarified them by merging these topics :-/

My request is that when I add an album to a play list it added and played as a unit in album track order rather than having the individual tracks added to the list.

This is distinct (though admittedly related/orthogonal to) the other issues (view playlist by the album a track came from / show album art etc.) which you have now conflated. … and also perhaps related is the recent Spotify change (hailed by Adele) to recognise the integrity of albums.

Is there any way you could undo your change?

Best wishes,
Bruce

Well, unfortunately after just a few weeks I wont renew my subscription until the possibility to have an album view in a playlist is introduced…

I also would love to see a playlist by Album

+1 for this from me as well.

I was so glad to find this thread but also a bit frustrated. It seems this has been requested for so long and it’s still not there! I would really like this too as I have spent ages organising my favourite albums in Qobuz into “playlists” so I can find albums that fit into a certain collection for me, and the desktop Mac apps show them as albums beautifully.

I only recently explored them properly in Roon and was gutted to see the albums in each collection “playlists” spread out as tracks. Yes you can click on a track and go to the album, but in some of my “playlists” I have a lot of albums so it’s a lot of scrolling and then watching for the album artwork changing and trying to work out if that’s the one I want. So I don’t use Roon at all when I want to use this feature and revert to my Qobuz apps, but that’s a shame I can’t stay within Roon. To go through all of them and now tag them is double the work and not going there.

2 Likes

Another dissapointed lifetime user for not having this. Come on! It shouldn’t be so hard!

Did you vote at the top?

No! Will do it right now :slight_smile:

Please make this happen…

1 Like

Please vote at the top.

1 Like

BUMP! Still want this!

1 Like

Thx for the link.

To be clear, I would like album groupings with the album art showing. So if you have a playlist, whatever that maybe, I can always sort by album. I would then like it to show as albums on the screen, even if I only have one track of that album in the playlist.

Example of the look:

My playlist might only include “Locomotion” and “I’m Old Fashioned” from the “Blue Train” album.

Hello,
I am coming back after more than a year and wondering if it is now possible to see the Playlists witht their respective albums, the track view is in my opinion useless…
Many thanks in advance for your help!

Nothing has changed in a year so whatever you didn’t like is the same.

Unbelievable…and that’s not rocket science…so one has to make up his mind “between cholera and plague”…between the Audirvana and Roon, Audirvana has an excellent album management but is highly unstable, Roon seems stable but the album management is unfriendly…both problems would be easy to solve because both of them have solved one of the problems but NOT BOTH…

In each life a little rain must fall.

2 Likes

What am I missing here?

From the initial request of the OP and his latest clarification, I am able to functionally achieve what is asked by using tags and focus. This was already suggested by (@)Chris_Risher in October 2018. Optionally I can use bookmarks for quick access.

You either tag individual tracks and use tag focus mode in Albums to have the album view. Or, if you prefer to add your tracks to a playlist, create a tag for that playlist. Add the tag to the playlist and that playlist only. Use focus mode in albums to filter the playlist and your view is there. The album will show for any track included in the playlist. No need to add the tag to the individual tracks.

1 Like

Well, after many hours of sweating I think I came to the same conclusion as Sven, I create a taglist with the name of the composer and when I open the taglist I see a list of albums, exactly what I wanted! The concept of a tag was abstract for me, they sould have given the name of album list instead of tag…
The procedure to add albums is very fast and easy once understood, and by now Roon after a few days is for me the winner hands down and I will subscribe!
Many thanks for all your inputs!

1 Like

Tags can do much more than what you’ve just used them for and beyond just albums. Tags can group different content, you can make a tag that has an Artist, Track, Album, Composer, Composition, Playlist, or other Tags, all in the same tag, for example.

There are many issues with your solution. You would:

1. Need a new tag for each “playlist” you want to create
  2. Need to tag individual tracks - and I don’t think the album view would limit the contents to those tracks
  3. If I have a TIDAL or Qobuz created playlist, I would have to add tags in Roon
  4. If I created a Smart Playlist, this would obviously not work
  5. When you want to delete or split a playlist you would have to remove or retag

All of this pain would be avoided if there was a view that simply:
1- Sorts a playlist by album, then
2- Groups by album and shows you the album cover art only

That is the feature request. Clear?