All the gear ... No Idea

You will find the Juno 6 played here

Band camp may have it

Stop throwing your rubbish into the star gate please!!!

1 Like

I bought a Nikon F2 from a guy back from Vietnam. It was new but very inexpensive when bought in Asia at the time. I migrated to an F2A and then an F2AS. I used an Auto_Nikkor 55mm f1.2. I shot Kodachrome and Tri-X, did some push processing, had a dark room, had some photos published.

Babies arrived.

I shot albums of 35mm of the kids and then began using a 4MP digital camera.

I then bought my youngest a Canon 40D at 12. She took a photo of her horse, and it sold for very high price. She has upgraded her Canon cameras over the years, has had a lot of photo sales. Her work hangs in hotels and conference rooms. She has contract work and began working a corporate job as a product photographer.

What “ruined” photography for me was not digital…it was the iPhone…easier to carry.

She and I did not use Photoshop but she she uses Lightroom.

Photography was a very engaging hobby and can keep you out in the field. “Photographic Seeing” is a book and a skill.

I have a Nikon film camera - it’s up for sale here:

These are great, indestructible, small cameras, and have 1/4000 shutter speed, but incredibly noisy. Not a problem in the Vietnam War, but useless at a gig. For that with film you need Leica.

My wife is a great Huawei photographer, but sometimes the jpeg processing goes a bit crazy.

I appreciate people sell photographs, your daughter started young, but for me it is a hobby and I just enjoy taking pictures. I also enjoy the discipline of film and Leica is like that - see something, take a picture, move on.

Now you get a pair of headphones, an audioguide and it tells you when to take a picture.

1 Like

That’s a great (and interesting) photo, greatly aided by the predominate color.

It was a hobby for me that spanned since I was ~8 years old. My personal selling of photos was merely a happenstance of other hobbies (motorcycles, cars…girls), but for my daughter, she hit the ground running. She takes photos for herself that others then view and want.

Our conference room at our office is filled with her photos as is our home…and my office.

After years on the shelf, I sold all my Nikon equipment on eBay. I had sold the darkroom equipment years earlier. Some hobbies are best left (for me) as memories.

I bought a Canon 50S a few years ago. I found the menu system and options complex and cumbersome and began shooting in automatic mode. Since that seemed appalling, I gave the second body also to my daughter. She has been many places in Europe shooting with photo teachers. She has some amazing shots, but she is a private person and rarely shows them to others.

So back (temporarily) to the title of your post. How much of an idea do you have to have to spend money on it? Is spend proportional to your level of insight? If a person makes ten times more than another person, do they need to have ten times more insight to spend a proportional part of their income?
Is it enough to just have a clue and then indulge yourself?
I buy in to the idea, but don’t see where you go from there. When I raced bikes at 157 lbs, I would have killed for a titanium frame. But I had no money then. Now I weigh (ahem), about 2.5 bikes-worth more. I would die going that hard now, but can I still have the bike?

Thank you Chris for the post and and the various replies. Hilarious! The pics of the cassette tapes and decks brought me right back to my very first hi-end audio acquisition courtesy of my mom:

Sony WM-10 --coupled with a BMX bike made for a happy kid!

wm-10-gold

I always think, if you can afford it… buy what you like, someone has to and if one is wealthy, that’s one of your jobs.
Regards bikes, if your motive is to get fit, you don’t need a good bike… in fact, a crap one may be better as you will have to work a lot harder.
The kit doesn’t give you advantage, it ensures you are not at a diss advantage in competition. So if you want to win, then you need the kit.

Eh, well, I ride a cyclocross bike now. Steel. Slowly. More reliable on some of our roads.
And I don’t wear any flashy jerseys, because any decent rider would look at me and say “That guy doesn’t have a clue”. :wink:

1 Like

All this talk about and pictures of cassettes and cassette decks but no reel to reel decks (not mine, a photo from Google of an Otari editing deck, like the one I used at the radio station while in college):

As for bicycles, I have 4:

An aluminum hybrid for tooling about town
An aluminum road bike which is over 20 years old and still going
A steel road bike with is over 15 years old and is the most comfortable of all four bikes.
A carbon fiber road bike that is nice and light weight and great for long hilly rides.

3 Likes

DAC has been updated, but the Reel to Reel is timeless. Pioneer RT-701.

How I wish this post had been made a few months ago; as part of clearing out “stuff” I gave away a top spec Yamaha deck in pristine condition and a box of 500 cassettes… via eBay. The ‘winner’ gave me the most amazing feedback ever!

2 Likes

You made someone very happy

Yes… My wife!

Plus the chap himself who drove to me from very far away “up North” to collect it and was as excited as teenager being given a new bike (well in teenager in my day…).

1 Like

With all of these posts about cassettes along with the Sony Walkman, I can’t help but share some screen shots from my newest gadget, the Sony NW-A105 Walkman. It’s one of the two 40th anniversary models (the other is the NW-ZX507).

It’s really just a digital audio file player (DAP), of course, but one fun little feature it has is a cassette tape GUI display. It’s animated so that the little reels are actually rotating as it plays, and they rotate quicker if you fast forward or rewind. (Yes, it’s all just a gimmick, but a nostalgic and fun one).

Like many of you, I grew up recording on cassettes, so I was especially amused to see that the GUI displays higher grades of tape formulations when you play higher resolution files. :slight_smile:

In spite of this allegedly being a full Android OS, and supporting both Tidal and Qobuz, I have not been able to get Roon Remote installed on it, so that’s a bit disappointing.

6 Likes

Now that is cool…

Did the bike bit too , even seriously raced around my University years, even rode my bike in the Boat Race (well bike race)

Eventually cars and brewing took over, these days I am so old I can barely walk :angry:

Please reopen my Gym …

1 Like

Somewhere I saw a music player app for Android that did the same

Nostalgia ain’t what it used to be :face_with_monocle: