Allo DigiOne board

Bob

Thanks for that.

Now that Boss v1.2 is out am just waiting for the Aluminium cases to be released by Allo then will pull the plug on one. Pity it doesn’t have headphone out as that would be really handy for my son, but can look at other option if need be.

Hope you had a good Xmas & New Year, and can’t wait to see what the Roon team have next up their sleeves for 2018

Cheers
John

hmmm , maybe try to reinstall DietPI

A few inductors were changed, we removed the common mode choke. Rock solid on ground issues , same jitter on output

This is only a solution if you are comfortable soldering, sadly I am not.

Thats fine, we can do the mods for you. Contact our website.

1 Like

I was wrong. Airplay doesn’t play on the Pi when RoonBridge did. I thought it did because I saw it moving through tracks, re is no sound. PMing to get a replacement unit.

Just scanned this year-long thread that recounts hardware and software issues with Pi/DigiOne combination. To all those who bravely pioneered this path, is this the kind of hardware a NooB should tackle? Talk of soldering, reimaging, patches, etc., has given me pause.

allo/johan, you seem to have developed a good reputation for customer service, but I would be much happier with no customer service, i.e., it works the first time. Have you gotten the kinks out? (as best you know.)

Happy w/ my DigiOne. You may want to wait until DietPi 6 comes out. The upgrade from 159 to 6 looks like it will be a manual effort. I haven’t experienced many issues with the DigiOne otherwise.

Hi John,
I’m a noob with RPi/DigiOne as well.
I run it with Ropieee software, first time right, no issues, never any problems, works as a charm.
I have not any issues as reported by some users.
Last part of technical discussion was also about direct feeding (5V) the DigiOne board, instead of through the RPi as is the case in the current hardware configuration.
I personally will consider changing to the latest HW version as soon as it will become available.
(Think this is only useful if you have 2 high quality LPS available.)
Hope this helps.

1 Like

It does indeed help, Rudy. Good to know. Allo seems like a reputable company (as does the Pi maker) Thx.

Hi John!

The Digione is a very stable product. I ordered the Digiplayer package with DietPi installed. Downloading Roonbridge in DietPi is very simple and works without problems. Since then (a few months back) the Digione has been almost maintenance free. Once or twice I have had to reboot it, but that is as easy as pulling the power plug and reinserting it.

The soldering is a fix that I believe will be pre-installed if you order a Digione today. Perhaps @allo.com can confirm this.

I can really recommend the product, and if you need any help there is a lot of helpful people around here.

Maybe a disclosure is in order since I’m rambling on here; no affiliation to allo, just a happy customer.

Best /Andreas

1 Like

Andreas thx for the vote of confidence. Have you decided to upgrade to DP6? Sound like a complete do-over not just an upgrade. But it doesn’t look like the entire process is very lengthy.

John, the static buildup only affected some systems. All new stock has addressed this issue. I have only run mine with Ropieee as I don’t have a screen or keyboard, so Ropieee is awesome. Auto updates and just works. You will will never think of it. Best signal I have ever fed my DAC by a far margin.

1 Like

The only problem I have is that switching on my reading light sometimes causes playback to stop, requiring reboot of the DigiOne, easy to do with the GUI interface. I see no reason to modify or replace the board.

Thanks Bill, well, I’m in. Actually I was in until I read the kerfuffle earlier this year. I plan on buying the premade version from Allo, and unfortunately Ropieee is not a pre-installed option, I don’t think.

No, but you just download ropieee, and then install it on the card and put it back in. The instructions on ropieee.org are so easy to follow. Your going to love the Digione.

A vote for DietPi here. It’s a great OS.

Confirmed, its been about 3 weeks that we ship DigiOne version 1.2 with the choke removed and a few other hardware improvements. Jitter is same

DigiOne looks like a great option

Well, this post has two purposes, first to give a big shout out to Allo for customer service, and second, the results of a slightly informal A/B/C testing this evening.

First off, I received my updated DigiOne in the mail tonight. I was having real static issues, and after talking to the folks at Allo, they sent me a new one. I installed a fresh SD card with Ropieee and plugged it into my system and all is great. Looking at the board, it is version 1.2. Great service, highly impressed.

So the A/B/C test. First up, I have been running a Hifiberry Digi+ (on a linear power supply) while waiting for the replacement of my DigiOne that was A. B was my new DigiOne, using a simple wall wart power supply. C was the DigiOne setup on the Linear Power Supply.

Our test files were Mary J Blige’s “London Sessions” in a 24/96 FLAC, and Marvin Gaye’s “What’s Going On” in a 24/192 FLAC.

Set-up A was ok. Less separation in the instruments. Vocals weren’t as front and centre. Less dynamic changes in tone/volume, particularly mid to highs.

Set-up B was better. Noticeably. More separation. Drums crisper.

Set-up C was better still. Vocals were more “up front”. Great clarity and separation. Bigger soundstage. Really enjoyable.

We are running these Digi boards into the DAC in our Magnum Dynalab MD 209 which has a very smooth tube DAC board.

Anyway, a very happy customer, now sitting back enjoying some great music. Charles Mingus’ Mingus Ah Um on Tidal.

6 Likes