Allo USBridge board

Hi Alexander,

If you have Volumio installed in your Sparky or USBridge you can indeed use it as RoonBridge.

The Lazy option:
Volumio has Apple Airplay enabled by default, so Roon will see it as an Airplay endpoint without you needing to do anything. You have, of course the Airplay limitations in terms of sample rates, etc.

The not so much but still a bit lazy option:
Roon kindly provides an easy install script for RoonBridge on ARMv7 CPUs like the one in the Sparky. I suggest using this since it’s really quick.
Since you said you installed it on a pi3 I’ll just assume you know how to connect over SSH to the device and have access to the CLI. Volumio comes by default with volumio as both the username and password.

As Volumio is a multimedia application, pretty much all you need in terms of dependencies is taken care for already.
The RoonBridge install script needs to unpack after downloading and requires lbzip2, which is not in the distribution used by volumio, so, the first thing we need to do is to install it.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install lbzip2

Let’s move to a directory where we have writing permissions such as /home/volumio

cd /home/volumio/

Now we are good to install RoonBridge by following the Easy Installer instructions for Roon Bridge armv7hf from https://kb.roonlabs.com/LinuxInstall

It’s basically 3 command lines.

After that you should see something like this:

You should now see your Volumio device under Roon Settings including your DAC

And you can check if all looks good with the DAC specs

So, just give that zone a name and start playing

Note: On my case, for some reason, I had no sound on roonbridge until I rebooted the volumio Sparky. But it’s up and playing now.

Just to finish, the not lazy but totally unnecessary option is to use the manual installation method from https://kb.roonlabs.com/LinuxInstall instead of the Easy method.

If you intend to use the USBridge just as RoonBridge I’d really suggest to change the OS to DietPi instead. It’s a very lean OS, you don’t have all the other services from Volumio running and the installation is really easy. You can either install the Allo image already preconfigured, or use the standard DietPi for Sparky from DietPi’s website, then you just go into DietPi’s config menu and activate RoonBridge and the OS will install it for you.

Hope this helps.

2 Likes