Allo USBridge board

parallelization is only happening on the roon server and determines load/speed with which it can upsample/convert DSD … as for the endpoint (USBridge/dietpi) - it makes no difference… maybe am stating the obvious - sorry in that case.

I have them both, and for so far my auditory memory goes, I can hear no difference.

1 Like

I just followed Allo’s Support guidelines to troubleshoot, seems with parallel threads on the server the flow of info to the endpoint improves in terms of timers think of it as the buffering has less pauses
It doesn’t make a difference in my case, like you stated the issue is completely gone when using the USB2 option so it is not related
Happy Independence Day

@rahulkc_s
My usbridge has started to loose output to the dac. It shows up in Roon and I can play music to it but nothing comes out and the DAC’s input light is red meaning its receiving no signal. I tried other players on it and still nothing, It seems to do this if I switch the dacs input and leave it not on usb for a while. I use the dac for other sources so this is becoming a litte infuriating.
Not sure it its related but this only started to happen in the last week since I installed the new driver you created from my dac. I have since reverted as back but this has made no difference. I also switched to upsample to DSD 128 and using 2 psus at same time.I checked /DietPi/uEnv.txt and aotg.urb_fix=1.
any help appreciated, I will stop upsampling and see if that helps, if not then remove the 2nd psu.

Another question as I am using 2 PSUs should I use the DC one first to powerup and then connect the usb one? It seems odd it works with just one.

As I mentioned a few posts above, it’s actually recommended, so not odd that it works at all…

I also mentioned the reason it works this way is because there is a diode that allows this, which was explained in this thread before:

But it powers both from the DC with the j28 removed surely it should just power the bridge?

Nope, that’s explained in the manual as I mentioned before… see the quote from Allo (Rahul) above explaining exactly that…

If that’s the case then surely it should ship with the jumper removed all ready as it serves no real purpose being in of you can power it all from DC . They recommend not to power it individually by usb from the off so just disable it from the start, would save having to open it up to remove it. Very confusing to.

But you can also power the USBridge directly without opening it. Just a single PSU… That’s the recommended way anyway (as above).

I know that, your not understanding my point. You can do the same with the jumper removed to, but gives you the extra option of using 2 if you wish. So just leave it out from the start and you cover all bases.

I definitely get your point (I’ve tried all options at some point…).

I really only replied to you comment “It seems odd it works with just one”, just to explain that it’s not odd at all.

Fair enough

Been listening to the Allo USBridge with my Oppo Sonica DAC up sampling to DSD512 using the Ethernet on the Sparky and USB Host output with no issues or breakup for a whole album. I guess like my RPi running DSD512 is no issue.

Do you hear any difference between USBridge and RPi?

Highly subjective of course but it’s fun sharing different observations.

Cool ! No pops, no drops, no ticks ?
Did your monitored ETH bandwith with NetData playing native DSD512 ?
SONICA USB receiver is XMOS ?

I do have the same experience with onboard ethernet. 40-50 mbit with dsd512 and simmilar woth PCM768khz. All good.
Pro-ject S2 dac which has XMOS USB chip on board.
With USB Gigabit ethernet adapter i think CPU utilisation is even lower.

I did was quite a difference to me, the Allo seems more balanced and less bright and not at all fatiguing. Also seems to reveal more detail. But the Hifiberry was more stable overall. But I am working with Allo support on my issues and hopefully its now resolved.

1 Like

@volpone @dabassgoesboomboom I’m seeing around 40-50mbps too with native DSD 512

I’ve yet to really do any quality listening and none directly a/b’g with microRendu as yet.

I’m awaiting my kali and piano2.1 replacement boards. But for now I’m comparing the Sonica dac on the usbridge and the ha-1 on the sparky just on usb2 port. Both are running on LMPS but nothing too fancy.

I’ll post more comments in the coming days when I get some listening time.

The emmc copy over process took me a few goes to get something that worked but seems to be running now.

The netdata info Page is awesome. Total geek candy :smiley:

After I bricked the USbridge with the faulty dietpi update, I bricked my Usbridge on a hardware-level. The holder of the sd-card broke loose from the Sparky. Damn! If there was no faulty update I wouldn’t have touched the Usbridge. And now, because there was this faulty update I broke the Sparky. I know, it’s my fault, but I handled it with care, and still the sd-cardholder broke from the sparkyboard. Grrrrrrrrr. Very frustrated!