Allo USBridge board

Hi Johan @allo.com
If you don’t/can SSH?
I have tried but it didn’t work!

Is the new GUI including in the update or? I don’t remember what the new GUI should do :smile: maybe you remember Johan?

So how shall I get it updated?
And the process of taking out the eMMC and etching a version sounds complicated. So, please do tell more on how an auto update is possible.

Best-Anders

By the way, so don’t I know that version I have now :smile:.
On my iPad remote! Roon Bridge (DietPi) Version 1.0 (build 115) stable.
And Audio DietPi. Linux 3.10.38

That’s the only things that I can see!

If I turn off my USBridge and Sparky and start it again!
Would that help me?

For Dietpi Auto-Update on USBridge(Sparky)

SSH Route (Windows 10)

• Download Putty (www.putty.org) on Windows
  • Install Putty
  • In the Putty folder, run the file Putty (you can see the folder when you click on Start button on bottom left in Windows)
  • a Window will open - Putty Configuration. Please enter the IP address of USBridge in the Host Name box. You can look up the IP address in Roon itself. It will be something like 192.168.1.X. Make sure SSH button is ticked in the Connection Type options.
  • click on Open.
  • A new box will open asking for “login as” - just type root.
  • it will now ask for a password. The pasword is dietpi.
  • You will now see a window showing details of Dietpi ver, IP address and some commands.
  • At the command prompt, type dietpi-update.
  • Press ok and it will update.
  • Type reboot
  • Your USBridge will reboot and will come back online in a minute or so.

That’s all there is to it folks.

I used this approach and moved from ver 154 to ver 155. No issues at all.

2 Likes

In the image, you can see the IP address of USBridge right next to Dietpi in the Roon Audio section in Settings.

It is 192.168.1.3 in my case.

1 Like

Does’n seem to be there yet:

root@DietPi:~# dietpi-update
 [Info] Checking RootFS R/W access. Please wait...
 [Ok] RootFS R/W access.

DietPi-Update
─────────────────────────────────────────────────────
 Mode: Checking for DietPi updates
 Please wait...

[Info] Checking Mirror : http://dietpi.com/downloads/dietpi-update_mirror/master/server_version
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
  0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--  0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--100     6  100     6    0     0      9      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--     9
 [Ok] Using update server: http://dietpi.com/downloads/dietpi-update_mirror/master/server_version

[Ok] No updates required, your DietPi installation is up to date.

[Info] Current Version : 155
 [Info] Server Version  : 155

Dan will update it this week. (end of the week)

Thanks @Gurpreet_Kohli

For the great explanation :+1:.
So that even me, who’s never used Linux and SSH before I’m a totally newbie on this.
I could do it for the first time :smile:.
When I got in so was it like you described!

It’s also stands a new update version is available, I had 154 and this was 155.
So I continued to follow your explanation and I succeeded to update to 155.

What is the difference between version 154 and 155?
Johan @allo.com ?

Once again thanks for the great explanation and help @Gurpreet_Kohli

Best,
Ander

Hi @Fernando_Pereira
When you have the latest version that’s available, or should 156 be able to update to?
Me and @Gurpreet_Kohli could do it because we used version 154, so we could update to version 155 that you already have.
But should version 156 be available?
So it’s mean that I have to do it again!

Best,
Anders

Hi Johan @allo.com

What is the difference between version 154 and 155?
And version 155 and version 156?
Because I don’t hear or notice any difference between 154 and 155, so what will version 156 make for difference?

It would be nice to know?
Because I have used version 154 since I got my USBridge and Sparky, and everything has worked perfectly for me all the time!
I haven’t had any issues like I have reading about, others have had!

Best,
Anders

It looks like the change log has only been updated through v155. I’m sure it’ll be updated soon.

Each version has a few bug fixes…like flow control , mpd etc. Not everyones needs those so you weren’t affected.

Thanks David @orgel & Johan @allo.com :+1:.

By the way Johan have you got any answer on atm7059_link

In version 156 does it be possible to Air Play to USBridge/Sparky, directly from a iPhone…

Best,
Anders

Hi Anders,

the first ATM7059 is output for a headset , second is for hdmi and 3 is for SPIDIF (bu except the HDMI the other are not available )

Yes its possible to use airplay on DietPi (all versions)

Hi Johan, @allo.com

Thanks a lot for your answers,

There’s the output for headset?
And how does I setup for Air Play, because I don’t get it up on my iPhone or iPad?

Best,
Anders

Yes there is output for headsets but dont use it , you need s special card.

For airplay , do you know how to select and install Shairport Sync ?

Hi Johan @allo.com

I now and can use SSH,
So if you will be kind and describe that and we’re when I get into SSH :+1:.

I got this from @Gurpreet_Kohli

SSH Route (Windows 10)

Download Putty (www.putty.org) on Windows
Install Putty
In the Putty folder, run the file Putty (you can see the folder when you click on Start button on bottom left in Windows)
a Window will open - Putty Configuration. Please enter the IP address of USBridge in the Host Name box. You can look up the IP address in Roon itself. It will be something like 192.168.1.X. Make sure SSH button is ticked in the Connection Type options.
click on Open.
A new box will open asking for “login as” - just type root.
it will now ask for a password. The pasword is dietpi.
You will now see a window showing details of Dietpi ver, IP address and some commands.
At the command prompt, type dietpi-update.
Press ok and it will update.
Type reboot
Your USBridge will reboot and will come back online in a minute or so.

Best
Anders

Hi @Gurpreet_Kohli

Does you know how to do this?
Because your latest information was perfectly :+1:

Best
Anders

DietPi

login on ssh or terminal dietpi-software -> software optimized -> shairport sync

Hi ! I’ll post a more detailed set of instructions later today. I also managed to get my Shairport working just today only.

For Shairport - Sync on USBridge (Sparky) With Dietpi

You can follow these steps to use Airplay to play from Iphones/Ipad directly to USBridge (Sparky)

• Use SSH route to login into USBridge. This was described in Post 203 above. You need Putty. Once you login, you will see the command prompt.
  • At the command prompt, type dietpi-software.
  • Select the option Software-Optimised
  • A list of software options will be visible. Move down to the Shairport-Sync option. Press space bar to select it.
  • Press ok
  • You will now see a menu of options - Help! at the top and Install at the bottom of the screen.
  • Please select Install. This should install Shairport-Sync on your USBridge.
  • Type reboot. Wait for a minute as your USBridge comes online.

Wait … there’s more to be done. In my case, i could see Dietpi on my Iphone after rebooting, but nothing played. I wrote to @allo.com Johan and he indicated that this was an issue with my DAC which takes 32 bits, but Shairport was set at 16 bits and this mismatch was causing a problem. If your DAC maxes out at 16 bits, i guess you won’t have a problem.

So, please note that the next steps might not work for you. They worked for me with my Chord Mojo, which maxes out at 32 bits.

• At the command prompt, type nano usr/local/etc/shairport-sync.conf

• This is basically to edit the Shairport-Sync configuration file. You do not need coding skills for this.

• A new window opens. You can scroll down into this file and start editing.

• There will be a line - alsa =. After this, a ‘{’ will be there.

• After this {, please type the following in separate lines
    output_rate = 44100 ;
    output_format = “S32” ;

• Please keep the semi-colon after each line. Also, please don’t add any // before these two lines.

• Press Control-X to exit this window. It will ask you to save the file and you should say Yes.

• You will be back at the command prompt (after a couple of Yeses).

• I typed - dietpi-services restart

• Then type reboot

After the Dietpi comes back online, you should see Dietpi as an Airplay option on your iOS device.

I could then play music from my phone to my USBridge.

I must also add that some of the steps above might be redundant. The rate and format settings will be locked and i guess you can’t play 48KHz files (Airplay doesn’t do more than 48 Khz anyway). If your DAC maxes out at 24 bits, i guess you need to put output format as “S24”. I hope others who are more proficient with Linux and Alsa can chime in with suggestions.

Hope this works for you.

1 Like