Allo USBridge board

Great! Order time! :smiley:

Hi I am trying to find out some basic info on this product which I just learned about 30 minutes ago. I am not an IT guy but a ā€œplug and playā€ guy.

1, Does it pass 512 DSD? So If I used HQ Player to up sample, would it work? Not a deal killer at all.
2. There is choice of either Volumio or Diet Pi as the OS. Want to use it for Roon only so which one do I want?
3. Seems to be a work in process with numerous changes, etc. so maybe I should wait?

Just received, excellent quality, the acrylic case is beautiful, testing with a LT1084 based linear power supply, sound is really good but i will comment later.

1 Like

Hey Slingshot,

For 1. Iā€™ll leave it for Johan or Andre from Allo or one of the USBridge owners to answer. Since it does up to 768KHz PCM Iā€™d assume itā€™d probably go up to DSD512 as it seems to have the ā€œhorsepowerā€ for it. Mine still hasnā€™t arrived so canā€™t check it.

2 - Both will work. Volumio comes with the Volumio system/player installed, so if you want an alternative way to access and play your music using Volumio instead of Roon you can go this route. You can also use it for roon as the roon bridge part will also come installed.
In my case, I just want it for Roon, so I went with DietPi as itā€™s a lean system with no other software running (dietpi has a very easy way of installing loads of software through user-friendly menus, but I donā€™t intend to do that, itā€™ll be just for Roon). Itā€™s the OS Iā€™m already running on my Sparky currently and very happy with it.

3 - The product is finished and shipping for a while now. What people have been waiting, myself included, is for the Aluminium case for it as I donā€™t like the acrylic case and itā€™s not something Iā€™d like to place next to my hi-fi system (sorry Allo guys, it just isnā€™t :flushed: ). Allo has been trying different suppliers for the case but things havenā€™t been up to the standard they want so far. So Iā€™ve been holding to buy it as it was said previously that cases wouldnā€™t be sold separately and I didnā€™t want to have to buy 2 USBridge bundles :wink: But when Johan told me yesterday that cases will be able to be purchased separately in the future, I went for it.

Thank you. I saw a reference to this on Computer Audiophile this morning

Ok, it lookā€™s that I have the same problem as some other I read about. As soon as I move the USB directly to SBC everything exept DSD512 lit green for my iFi Micro iDSD BL.

Hi Erick

on USBridge you see what sample rate ?

Ok, but Roon only lit green in device setup up to 96 kHz and no DSD when iFi iDSD Micro BL is attached to the USB on USBribdge, but up to 768 kHz and DSD256 when Micro iDSD is attached on SBC directly

1 Like

Hi Eric,

The USBridge is only working at USB 1 .We are now testing and sending units that are fully working at USB 2.0 hi speed.

I sent you an email

Did the price just increase yesterday?

Just to confirm with @allo.com / @ALLO_audio_boards, if I decide to power up the USBridge with 2 power supplies, one for Sparky, one for USBridge, should I leave the power jumper on or should I remove it?
Thanks!

hi
when the J28 Ulink open, you can feed power on both sparky and USBridge.
regards,
Andre

hi johan

does that mean you are already shipping usb2? or still usb1ā€¦and does that mean dsd 256 and 512 are working?

thanks

USB 2.0 only since last week.

Newbie question on cables: given that the USBridge is virtually eliminating noise/jitter, how important is the USB cable to the DAC? I am already getting great results with a cheap cable but would I still get a vast improvement with say an Audioquest Coffee or similar high-end product?

A simple question with a very difficult answer. Yes a better cable should bring some improvements. However I would say the improvements will be small, but it depends on your system.

Powering the USB Bridge

Iā€™m using 2 independent power supplies with my Allo Sparky, so i remove J28 jumper, but i notice that if i connect the power supply for the USB bridge with nothing in the sparky power input, the Sparky turns on, is this nomal???

Thanks, my system is external USB hard disk -> Mac running Roon Core in storage room -> Ethernet connection to living room -> Switch -> USBridge -> crappy USB cable -> Metrum Pavane -> Audioquest Yukon interconnect -> Naim 252/300 DR -> Naim SL2. Would the difference in SQ now be more or less? Cheers, William

Very hard to say. I would say that no, not a big difference.

Yes it is .