Allo USBridge board

All very good points, thanks. PSUs an important difference. The DAC3 re-buffers the signal, so I wouldn’t expect the clock location to be very important. I guess one might buy both to try, but I can’t justify the cost.

Still on my to do list. Still no device to test though. I also don’t want to give an ETA because of the testing part.

2 Likes

@allo.com, I’m sure you guys’ve been distracted with the strikes and the hippies getting beaten up and the Napoleon impersonator character lobbing missiles and that lawsuit that’s dividing the nation like nothing since the Dreyfus affair, but, please

checking what happened…was supposed to be sent a long time back

I purchased an ethernet to USB3 adapter from Allo. it will not connect to the USBridge via USB3. When I ssh it does not appear via USB3 but if I connect it through USB2 on the Sparky board it show up. Why? Help?

Bad ethernt to USB 3 adapter replaced by Allo, it now connects to the ethernet through the USB 3 port. The problem is it will not stay connected after a short time it drops the connection and has to be reebooted to connect. Through all this the lights still blink on the adapter. Why? Help please. Thank you.

I got my USBridge now, and it seems to work well and give a very big boost to SQ compared to USB into computer. It detected my Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 automatically, and provides up to native DSD512, which was a nice surprise :slight_smile:

Got some questions though, maybe @allo.com can help me?

1. It seems a little sensitive to external disturbances, like one time I touched it and had a little static electricity, which caused it to reboot. Makes me wonder if the aluminium case is grounded?
  2. Even when I remove J28 I can power both boards with the USBridge input power only, which makes me wonder what J28 actually does? I currently feed it with 2 iFi iPower 5V.
  3. I only use it for Roon, so how should I configure it to maximize the audio quality? Remove as much software as possible? Limit processes and services running? Disable CPU frequency switching? Other things?
1 Like
  1. Only Ethernet Connector body is connected to GND. Aluminium case not connected to GND.

2. J28 opens state - Feeding power from Sparky to USBridge is blocked by reverse diode.
    In this mode power can feed to USBridge alone or we can feed 2 power source separately.

3. On Allo web GUI enable roon only.

2 Likes

One thing I miss is the ability to use pause/play/next/prev on the DAC remote to control Roon. I think RAAT supports this (@brian ?), and if so would it be possible to implement support for this in the USBridge?

Btw, I uninstalled pretty much everything except Roon and Allo stuff from the sparky dietpi, and put the CPU on a 900 Mhz fixed frequency. Not sure if it made a difference, but I figured it would not hurt.

RAAT can support transport controls (many Roon Ready devices have them). I think it might be possible…we’d have to see where our best opportunity is for picking up and forwarding HID commands from the device.

1 Like

It would be a neat feature, and with DAC/preamps like the S2 it adds a nice functionality to be able to control Roon from the remote.

Hi there, I have your fantastic Allo USBridge up and running with ROON BRIDGE but am unable to disable the other software options. Once in the WEB GUI pressing disable doesn’t do anything.
Other services active are:
MPD+O!MPD
NAA DAEMON
SHAIRPORT-SYNC
GMRENDER
NETDATA
SQUEEZELITE
Are all these needed to run ROON and if not what am I missing to be able to disable them?

Thanks,

Simon

You press the View button and then there is a disable button on the new screen. Disable everything except RoonReady.

Bleh, my USBridge isn’t working anymore, probably because I messed around in DietPI to much. No internet access now, and even though Roon can see the USBridge there is no sound when playing. What to do? (@allo.com need your help).

I have an ethernet cable into the computer, and shared that to the USB gigabit dongle that came with the USBridge, but no matter what I try I can’t get DietPi to get any internet access.

Did you try burning a fresh sd card? You probably did :wink:

No, I don’t have any sd card reader on my computer. Was hoping there was some configuration solution

1 Like

Activate wifi temporarily and see if you can connect

No WiFi dongle available, but I had it working before so either something broke or I did something bad in dietpi

It comes with an EMMC card installed with DietPi and even comes with an EMMC to USB adapter (from memory). See link below.

You can re-install a fresh version of DietPi (with GUI) for USBridge at the link below.

I did the same as you - I tweaked too much inside DietPi and broke it.

Better to just stick with the GUI and disable what you don’t need from there (as Rahul already said).

https://github.com/sparkysbc/sparky_linux_images/blob/master/sparky_eMMC-002.pdf

https://dietpi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2317&p=8869#p8869

These links are straight from the USBridge website by the way, under ‘Support & Downloads’.

Unfortunately, I think it comes with a EMMC card reader adapter, no USB.
If @Magnus likes to tinker he should get a usb-cardreader, always useful to have imho.