Allo USBridge board

gahabana, I was playing all night from 10:13pm to now and still no failures with the USB2 connection. That is 10 hours straight no interruptions at Max PCM Rate
Thank you so much for the recommendation, I will still work with the guys at Allo to see why the USB3 won’t work the same way
But for now I have a working solution I think, at least more stable than being having to power cycle every hour or so.
Just for testing I’m running another test now over USB3 with my system on and the previous settings, it should fail within a 2 hour timeframe
Thanks again for your help providing advice.

Settngs tested with USB2

@zbyte @gahabana I had the same issue with the Allo sold USB-ethernet adapter on the USB3.0 port.

No issue on the USB2.0 port.

Must be a problem with the @allo.com sold adapter with USB3.0

That sounds very plausible

Mind you the Allo sold USB-ethernet adapter works absolutely fine even at PCM768kHz/32bit and DSD512 on the USB2.0 port (which should cover everyone in terms of bandwidth…)

So not a huge issue - but it should be mentioned in the manual to avoid users pulling their hair out trying to make it work on the USB3.0 port.

Agreed, my current transfers tops out at 23 mbps and supposedly I can max out on USB2 to 480 mbps so like you said no big issue
SQ wise there should not be any major affectations neither.

2 Likes

hi @zbyte - glad to see it running.
Have just this morning let it play endless list … it has been running for 8 hours between pcm768/pcm705/dsd512 … with no issues so yes, do buy usb 3.0 adapter for USB 3.0 capable SBC to run it on USB 2.0 port.
Issue i am pretty sure is not HW one but fact that Allo provides very little support to make linux kernel younger then 5 years run on it. … i don’t know how big of an effort it is to get linux 4.x kernel run … but obviously too large for Allo. If that were the case, all things would run even better :slight_smile:
On the other side - USBridge DOES work as advertised and well, so all good on that front.

If there is anyone who could point me to the instructions how to rebuild kernel for Allo (ideally on a linux PC) - i’d appreciate it !!! I have SMSL M9 DAC which works but with this unpacthed/older kernel it does not know that it supports DSD512 Natively and it takes one line patch to kernel to make it work ?

thanks everyone !

Just wondering does the Sparky’s Ethernet not work at all? Or is there a sound impact? I think I always used before when I had Kali and Piano-2.1 going with my Vana setup - which Allo has kindly replaced as they died on me some time back…Props to the Allo guys and gals…I ponied up for a USBridge to have sent to me too but no external USB-Ethernet…Maybe I should have added that.

Sparky Ethernet works fine. I never had any problems with it on my USBridge, at least for up to 192/24 PCM (I don’t use DSD).

sparky ethernet works fine. however when you stream DSD512 or PCM 768 … network bandwith is almost 40%+ of 100mbit (which is speed of standard ethernet) … and if you have 2 boxes and both running 100mbit connected to 100mbit switch - problems will occur. Using gigabit switch that should not be a problem.

but for 99% of the people 100% of the time - 100mbit is more then enough to stream and regular 100mbit ethernet is more then adequate for music listening.

1 Like

I have a question. I removed jumper 28 so I can power both the sparky and usbridge with seperate supplies. But I am confused as to why it still powers up with just the dc connector in? Is this normal. Since removing the jumper I am experience the machine locking up and wont reboot properly when both are in. I am using the supplied allo psu to the dc and a spare raspberry pi 3a supply to the sparky which i know to be good.

Did you remove J28 on the USBridge HAT, or on the Sparky board itself? They both have a J28…

only one on the usb board. So I have to remove both?

Ah, no. I’m probably confusing everyone. There’s a J28 position on both boards, but I think the USBridge manual only talks about the jumper present on the HAT. As I say, best to ignore me, and get the right reply from Allo…

Yep normal, and mentioned it can be used like this in the manual and that’s how I use it too.

I believe Allo have explained it before somewhere - something about a diode which allows this.

Just for testing I followed Allo recommendation of enabling parallel processing in Roon using the USB3 but still fails.

they also recommended disable the value on /DietPi/uEnv.txt aotg.urb_fix=0 which I’m about to do

I know the workaround is just to use the USB2 but would like to get if possible to the bottom of this.

changing the value and testing again it will fail even faster, after just 40 min bridge lost connection

What is parallel processing?

I have a USB3.0-WiFi adapter working on the USB3.0 port of Sparky… so this may suggest it’s not the USB3.0 port but the Allo sold USB-ethernet adapter when used on the USB3.0 port…

i tried another USB 3.0 adapter… Linksys … USB 3.0 ethernet gigabit… works everywhere but not on 3.x linux kernel … so i could not test with another.
you might be right :slight_smile:

StarTech USB3.0-ethernet adapter works… if someone really really needs to use the USB3.0 port…

But if the Allo adapter can work on the USB2.0 port at PCM768kHz and DSD512 (I tested and confirmed) I think everyone should be ok on the USB2.0 port…

Allo should mention this somewhere though because a lot of people on a few forums have wasted time trying different things to get it to work on the USB3.0 port and can’t with their sold adapter.