Allo USBridge board

If you just got it, maybe it’s running an older firmware. Have you gone through the setup webpage to check for an available update? The latest version is 6.14.

I run the non-GUI version these days, so I’ve forgotten the navigation of the web GUI but it should be easy to find the part to check for an update. And to check your current version.

If it’s the latest version already, you may need to wait for Allo to return to work Monday and see these messages and they may take you through the ssh steps.

Or maybe someone much smarter than me with have an idea before then.

These things always happen on a weekend. If I were in your shoes and waiting over the weekend I’d do a fresh, clean install. But that involves taking out the eMMC card, putting it in a computer, burning the latest image etc.

Have a read through all these docs and links:

https://www.allo.com/sparky/usbridge.html#downloads

To burn an image to the card, use Etcher (Mac and Windows). You should have received an eMMC-SD card adapter, so you’d need an SD card reader to plug into the computer.

Or you can just wait for Allo Support’s help when they are back online. It would take me too long to do a complete step by step for a clean install. Every possible step would be covered somewhere in this thread or at the link above or the DietPi forum, so you might need to give it a crack.

The Engineer wife can probably do it with her eyes closed ! You need to get in her good books for some help :grin:

I’ve had similar problem last week with same devices. This is what solved it for me:

1 Like

To ssh in from a Terminal window (I’m on a Mac, don’t know what the equivalent is on windows).

After the prompt type:

ssh root@10.0.0.41

10.0.0.41 being the I.P. address of your USBridge on your network, according to the Roon Audio network settings screen grab you posted.
It should then ask you for a password which should be:

dietpi

It may ask you to change password, it did for me. Change it to whatever you want.

You should get this:

You will see at the top mine says v6.14 if yours does not then you need to update it.
It may inform you that there is an update available if so simply type:

dietpi-update

If it doesn’t inform you that there is an update then type:

dietpi-update 2

This command manually runs the update check, then you can run the update command:

dietpi-update

The update process should take a few minutes after which you may need to reboot the USBridge.

I hope that this helps.

2 Likes

If you’re not sure what the IP address is because your using DHCP you can also do

ssh root@dietpi.local

2 Likes

Updated to latest dietpi, big mistake. Now everything seems to work, including Roon play, DAC display and sample rates, but no sound. Its like the volume is set to zero.

Output of ‘amixer’ command is
Simple mixer control ‘Pro-Ject Clock Selector’,0
Capabilities: pvolume pswitch
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 127
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 127 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]
Front Right: Playback 127 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]
Simple mixer control ‘Pro-Ject Clock Selector’,1
Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined
Playback channels: Mono
Limits: Playback 0 - 127
Mono: Playback 127 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]

Last time this happened, the 1 device was off so I turned it on and then it started working. But not this time, that didn’t do anything.

Not sure if its related, but going into dietpi-config -> Audio options -> DietPi-JustBoom and listing output shows closed closed, but maybe thats something completely different.

And yes, I have ‘usb-dac’ set as soundcard

1 Like

Have you tried the solution I suggested above? Sounds like you have a mute problem too.

Yes, you can see that in the output I displayed: [‘on’] displayed on both devices, and 100% volume

the workaround uses alsamixer not amixer. Look for MM and toggle it using the m key

1 Like

Got it working now, changed locale to en-US, power toggled and rebooted and it started working again. But I think I did something more before :slight_smile:

Oh this is great! Very useful instructions, which I’ll follow.

Yes of course. And big thank you to everyone.

The drift of what happened last night is this. After I made these posts, @rahulkc_s came online and guided me through some troubleshooting steps.

At the end, he concluded that the USBridge software might be missing the driver for the Pro-ject Dac Box D2 Ultra. His team is away on the weekend now, but he promised that they’d look into it on Monday.

A big shout out to @rahulkc_s. Great patience and excellent assistance. Thank you!

1 Like

Oh dear! I’ll wait for this to be addressed then.

Interestingly, when one attempts to re-boot the thing, it simply says “rebooting success” or some such phrase, but does not confirm that any changes have actually taken place.

Oh this is great! Very useful instructions, which I’ll follow.

The collateral benefit of the US Bridge is that my wife is suddenly impressed at me. I’ve never seen her looking at me so appreciatively as when I spent a fleeting nano second on the Terminal last night! As long as I don’t burn down the house in the process, I am good

2 Likes

Normally I use my USBridge as a Roon bridge and it works perfectly. However, a few times recently I tried to use it as an Airplay output device for my Macbook Pro (macOS 10.13.6). Shairport Sync is enabled on DietPi 6.14. When I set sound output on my Macbook to “Studybridge” (the USBridge’s Shairport name) while watching a YouTube video on Chrome, the video sound plays for a couple of minutes and then stops even though videoplay keeps going. If I pause the video, switch Mac sound output to internal speakers, then back to Studybridge, and unpause the video, sound will play for another couple of minutes, then stop again. And so on. I suspect something is crashing on the Mac or on DietPi, but I can’t find relevant logs in either place. Are there Shairport logs on USBridge, and if so where?

2 Likes

A huge thank you to @rahulkc_s for the incredible support, with my very ‘special’ USBridge issue.

The root cause is not Allo’s fault at all but is the DAC maker’s fault - but rahul was quick to offer a temporary solution for me that’s working great, until the DAC maker fixes firmware at their end.

I have to give Allo major credit for the 1st class support @allo.com @ALLO_audio_boards

@dabassgoesboomboom you are not the only one to see the level of customer commitment that Allo has. I’ve had a couple of failed boards that they happily replaced for me and got me back up and running. Johan and a few of the others there have always gone beyond the norm to help. The products do seem to be getting better, and it’s also nice to have a player from the Asian region with local support.

1 Like

Hi @dabassgoesboomboom, I did hear back from Allo, who updated my driver, but no music. I therefore thought I’d reach out to the community again just in case you have any new ideas. I have updated the OS version though, as you suggested.

Here are some data points. I notice three things today:
a) When I select the DAC as the zone and hit play, it does not show the original icon of the Pro-ject DAC, but a generic icon.
b) When I play any song, the progress indicator bar at the bottom does not move.
c) I notice that the signal path is correct – DAC - Diet Pi. But the signal quality is low although this is a wired connection.

Also, this morning, I do not see the other Allo options (e.g., airplay) on the Roon browser interface.

I hope these data points are helpful. I’d be extremely grateful for some help fixing this please.

Hi catman

Have you tried rebooting the entire system? Turn off your modem, router, wifi access points, DAC and USBridge. And power up everything again.

Have you tried another USB DAC with USBridge?

The only other thing I’d try is the clean install, as per my earlier message. You might need to get in the good books with the wife though, so she can help.

Without access to your USBridge, there’s not much else I can suggest sadly.

Interesting. No, I have not done this. Can only do so when no one is at home. I’ll get screamed at in all directions, including by the cats, if I deny them access to the internet for even one nanosecond.

However, I have confirmed that it is not the USB connection on the DAC, by connecting it directly via USB, using a MacBook as an endpoint. Great sound.

I also tried connecting a Sonos Connect to the same DAC using coax. A small but significantly annoying hiss.

I hope Allo gives a solution soon. Not even sure about the protocols of returning this thing.