Allo USBridge board

Okay @allo.com but Johan,
What about the red light on Sparky that’s turning on and off?
The blue light on Sparky and the red light on the USBridge doesn’t do it!
I got a EMMC (EU) (Embedded Multi Media Card) it stood DietPi handwriting on it? Shall I use it and what side shall be up? “If I shall use it”?

Best
Anders

Light…its normal
The eMMC reader is only if you want to flash a new image on eMMC.

1 Like

Even if…it’s normal!
So is it annoying, in a little darker room does it becomes a light organ!
They must have some kind of function or?
That does the red and blue light means/stands for?
I have looking for it on every download manual on your website, but I can’t find anything about these two lights! I’m sorry for keeping asking, but the only answer I have got is! Light…it’s normal!!!

Except for this light!
So was it easy to set up and connect Plug & Play and everything worked great/perfectly and sounds great directly!
Even if I have two different DAC’s! It’s nice to not have “my old pc laptop” and it’s fan running almost all the time! And I haven’t had a single dropouts or stopping, even if playing up sample to 196 and 384 kHz! That I haven’t been able to do for avail because of some other problems with “my old pc laptop” or Roon, so have 96 kHz being the limit for me! So it’s nice to have the chance to choose between 96, 192 and 384 kHz now! So expect the flashing red light :grinning: so is it a great USBridge that I would recommend every day in a week!

Best
Anders

I forgot to ask why I got it with DietPi? Because it’s already on the eMMC in Sparky! Or I can download a new image on it instead, if I would like to do that, or? I haven’t connected Sparky to a hdmi cable and watching the possibility it has! I have to try it later, because maybe it’s useful for other things than just to provide the USBridge with Ethernet and USB connections!

Best
Anders

For what I’ve realised (and I’ll let Allo correct me), blue light means power is connected to the device and the annoying blinking red light means it booted up and is in normal operation.
The “Christmas tree” effect on a poorly lit room that you refer to is one of the reasons I can’t wait for Allo to have the aluminium enclosure ready :slight_smile:

Like Johan mentioned you only need the eMMC reader/writer if you ever want to flash the chip with another software image, so keep it in a safe place.

The alsa atm7059 should be the Sparky outputs, you can ignore them as you are using the USBridge output.

ASIO and WASAPI are from a windows PC and are protocols or interfaces that allow Windows to talk to audio devices directly connected to that PC without the need of using the windows software audio mixer, thus ensuring bitperfect sound transfer.

Glad you are enjoying it. It’s a nifty little device and I’m enjoying mine a lot too.

Thanks for that @Skywatcher
That about the lights sounds wright so it’s just hope that they will get the aluminum enclosure ready soon…:grinning:.

Yeah I have put it on a secured place and there I can find it if I would be needed it :+1:.

Thanks for the other information as well.

Best
Anders

I have only just got my USBridge, not even setup yet (but plugged in) and a non-audio friend says “What is that blinking thing?!”

I truly hope for a firmware update that allows it to be turned off. Music is a “mood” and this wrecks that. My only quibble so far.

Rob.

Hi @RobOK Yes indeed :grinning:.
But like @Skywatcher said!

So either do we have to put something in front of the USBridge (but not covering it, because of the air flow! But a little larger box so the USBridge get free air)!
Until the aluminium enclosure is ready :+1:.
It has going 15 hours since you wrote, your comment.
So I wonder if you have begin to use it?
I wasn’t expecting that it would sound and working so great as it does :heart_eyes:.
I don’t think that the microrendu or ultrarendu will sound as great, even if it’s a big difference between them and the USBridge regarding the price $$$.
Okay I have great PSU and I’m using Entreq products, so I have a Entreq USB earth/grounding cable in one of Sparky’s USB ports to a earth/grounding Box!
It makes a great difference on the sound if I disconnect it and when putting it back :+1:.
But I love when you only have to connect a product and everything works great immediately, no problems and a lots of different settings that needs to be done :heart_eyes:.
Allo seems to be a great new player on the scene and there support is absolutely great, I’m not used to micro computers…so without Allo’s perfect advice, support…well I’m not sure if I had bought the USBridge!

Everything in my Roon works much better now, when I have “only” the Core on my old pc laptop what I have put in my bedroom (it’s nice to not have to hearing it’s fan almost all the time) and the controls on my iPad/iPhone and the USBridge connected to my two DAC’s, well it’s wonderful! Except the light organ/Christmas lights :grinning:.

I have ordering Allo’s Amp VOLT+ WITH STEPPED ATTENUATOR and the DAC KALI + PIANO 2.1 + SPARKY SBC as well, because I have lots of speakers but sold my amps and DAC’s that I’m not using!
So I can play music in my bedroom as well, especially when I have put my computer there :+1:.

It’s the same with Allo here, I wrote and said that I needed a great Amp and Dac, so I got a few suggestions from Allo and I wrote that I want that Amp and that Dac, but can I also use that…and directly from Allo no that doesn’t work with that or that, the Amp was coming with everything put together but not the Dac! So I just asked if Allo would put it together to me, so both the Amp and Dac will coming as plug and play, Allo just wrote back absolutely no problem to me it’s great service :+1:. And I’m absolutely sure that the Allo Amp and Dac will sound and working great, with my computer and my speakers so I will have wonderful sound in my bedroom to, so once again Allo is a great company and a professional service :+1:. They have understood that many companies don’t have done, how important great service, advice and perfect treatment against customers are, now matter the price of the products!
So thanks Allo :pray:.
From a more than satisfied customer :+1:.

@RobOK please write and tell me that you think about your USBridge, and don’t forget to contact Allo if you have some kind of problems “except the flashing light” :grinning:.

And I don’t work on Allo, even if it’s easy to wonder over because I write as I’m doing about Allo, I’m just a satisfied customer and believe that they deserve all credit for being a great company :pray:.

@allo.com Johan I hope that you read this and transfer it to all who works on Allo, and maybe can do something about the “Red light that flashing beside the Blue light on Sparky” as @RobOK wrote! Maybe with a update or as @Skywatcher wrote! Getting the aluminum enclosure ready soon!
I now that’s not Allo’s fault but it’s been a while since that you wrote, that they we’re soon coming! So hunt the company who shall make them to you, with a flare-gun :grinning:

Best Anders

@allo.com Johan - I’m expecting my USB Bridge by Monday. Is it completely plug and play? I just have to connect an Ethernet cable and a DAC, right? I will be using Roon (Roon Bridge). Do I need to enter username and password Everytime I boot up ? The manual isn’t very clear on these steps.

Hi @Gurpreet_Kohli

Excuse me for answering your questions!
My USBridge came put together so only plug and play :+1:. I think it also stands on Allo’s website, that it’s delivered put together!
@Gurpreet_Kohli have you ordered or using ifi… as PSU?
Shall you use two 5V PSU one for the USBridge and one for Sparky?
If!!! You shall do so, check so the jumper between the two different devices are removed!

Otherwise it’s only to connect Ethernet, USB cables and just go!
I haven’t installed or downloaded anything it’s Roon ready so it’s nothing except maybe the J28 that you have to remove!

All the best
Anders

Power feed Methods for USBridge board:

1. Power feed through DC jack only (USBridge)
    J28 to be open
    Power adaptor rating : 5.2 V 3A ,+/- 5%
  2. Power feed through Micro-usb only on Sparky SBC
    J28 to be closed
    Power adaptor rating: 5.2 V 3A ,+/- 5%
  3. Individual power feed to Sparky and USBridge separately.
    J28 to be open

Check it here!
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/FUIonEVVyrNwWlsWDYBUW3lGie0OJX4Iw62SxVDDBDw?ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy

Thanks a lot. I intend to first use the supplied PSU with the unit. I don’t have the Ifi unit yet.
One the DAC - I intend to connect it to the USB port of USB Bridge. Does this require some configuration?

@Gurpreet_Kohli

Here’s a photo of the J28 I have enlarged it on the photo, so it’s easy to see!
It’s on the USBridge card it’s placed!
So if you have to remove it, so should you only have to open the side it’s placed and removing it carefully with a plastic tweeze/pincett.

But if you only have one PSU so shall you don’t remove the J28!!!

You shall use the Micro-usb to Sparky! So does your PSU feed both Sparky and the USBridge!!!

Power feed Methods for USBridge board:

1. Power feed through DC jack only (USBridge)

J28 to be open

Power adaptor rating : 5.2 V 3A ,+/- 5%

1. Power feed through Micro-usb only on Sparky SBC

J28 to be closed

Power adaptor rating: 5.2 V 3A ,+/- 5%

1. Individual power feed to Sparky and USBridge separately.

J28 to be open

I hope that you get what I mean?

@Gurpreet_Kohli

Good luck,
Anders

No configuration is needed!
I haven’t used a hdmi cable to a screen or any keyboard and mouse!
But it’s going to look different on your iPad…
Like this!

Anyone know how to run roon on volumio equipped usbridge? I have volumio on pi with roon bridge and it works fine…

Hi @Alexander_Leschmann
I don’t know because first did I get the information from Allo to choose DietPi and not volumio to use with Roon!
But it’s must have been changed, of Allo or Roon, because when I was looking on Allo Boss DAC so was it volumio and worked perfectly with Roon.
But I haven’t tried/testing volumio, so I don’t know what’s different between DietPi and volumio as software!
My USBridge works perfectly with Sparky on the USBridge and DietPi as software, so that is the difference between DietPi and volumio as software!
What can volumio that DietPi doesn’t can do?
Do you know it?
Maybe @allo.com Johan can explain it?

Bye the way does you ask

When you after saying?

I don’t really understand why you are asking if it works fine…
So please write and explain what you mean, because I don’t get it?

USbridge is sparky only not pi. I have a Pi3 with no hat and volumio works on it with roon bridge installled. I tried exact same process but iit wont let me installl roon bridge on USBridge with volumio.

Might be a good time to detail what roonbridge will work with on USBridge…

As I stated earlier in this thread you should use Dietpi. There is a Dietpi image for Sparky and Roonbridge works fine on it (installed via the Dietpi menus). You can order your USBridge with either Dietpi or Volumio preinstalled. The OP obviously ordered the wrong version. No big deal though as you can download the dietpi image for Sparky from the Dietpi website and flash it to the sd card supplied with the USBridge.

3 Likes

Hi!

I have strange problem with usbridge: I received mine a couple of days ago with the Volumio preinstalled on the eMMC. I didn’t like Volumio (couldn’t get it to connect to my Synology NAS), so I reflashed the eMMC with Dietpi, which I know from my raspberry to Explorer2/miniDSP2x4 HD setup, to install Roon Bridge, and use my old setup but playing music from my Roon-Server to my new usbbridge instead of my old RaspberryPi.

Now the funny part: Most tracks from my Library or Tidal are played half tempo and only one (of the two stereo-) channels, as if a different sample rate is passed to the two DACs (Explorer/miniDSP). The problem persisted after three installs and after installing Roon Bridge manually, using Rene Bouwmeester’s excellent Roon Bridge for ARM: a beginner’s guide to Raspberry Pi and Cubox-i.

Now the second funny thing: The higher sample rate songs (higher than 44.1kHz) and MQAs played in normal tempo.

After that, to see if it’s a hardware problem, I installed Shairport, and it played the same tracks I played before normally.

I reset all the Roon settings, all the DSP functions in Roon were turned off, so no resampling took place. The sample rate in Roon (little dot) and in ALSA output info were the same and the correct ones (as far as I know).

Had anyone a similar problem or am I missing something?

I would be very thankful for suggestions!

Best regards and thank you in advance,
Michael

1 Like

Hi Michael

http://dietpi.com/downloads/images/DietPi_SparkySBC-armv7-(Stretch).7z

Can you please use this image ? Also are you playing DSD or PCM and at what sample rate.