Amazed by some users' vast music storage

7800 albums and counting. I ripped about 5000 CDs to FLAC taking about 3 years to complete. I continue to buy new albums primarily as downloads. I like to have my own, probably stupid but that’s the way I like it. My storage is 8TB, with about 2.3TB currently occupied.

5 Likes

My music library is currently about 1.5 Tb and it’s nearly all Hi-Res Flac and DSD64, but that’s only because I have yet to process and add the remaining 1.39 Tb. I started fresh 2 years ago, dumping all mp3, AAC 320 or lesser and even Lossless CD rips. I actually prefer Audirvana over Roon (sound quality and default reading artwork from files, as well as GUI experience is better), and since I want to see proper artwork, I process all my files to add proper artwork to all my files so they display on my Cambridge CXN v2. This has allowed me to have a portable hi-res music library too. A 1Tb USB allows me to take my music library to brick and mortar stores for gear auditioning.

My youtube channel may be found here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh6jjzM9F_ivBK65wk4Pxqw

p.s. Also have 300+ albums and 500+ CD’s which don’t see much use anymore.

WOW, please make sure you have a backup plan.
Not just one, at least 2 backups, or raid 5 or 10 using a NAS.

Cheers John

1 Like

I have 4 “portable” 4TB hard drives that I use for backups on a rotating basis. The latest always goes to my safe deposit box at the bank.

In addition the 8TB is mirrored, RAID 5 on a NAS.

Again WOW Stephen, that is great :+1:

Cheers John

I have 45,671 songs (1.34 TB) most of which are low res. Of that 17,175 songs, (1.2 TB) are CD quality or higher which is what I have Roon monitoring constantly. Of this High Res, 76 Albums (726 Songs) were purchased and downloaded.

Every now and awhile I will go thru my old MP3s.

Not long after I converted all of my CDs to EAC copies in WAV format is when I came across Roon. I wanted WAV format because it is uncompressed and the downside was the meta associated tags. But shortly after converting to WAV is when I came across Roon and it solved my meta issues plus opened up the fidelity like I never could have imagined. If memory serves me right I believe that was Roon 1.3.

–MD

FLAC or DSF will solve your metadata issues. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh6jjzM9F_ivBK65wk4Pxqw DFF DOES NOT SUPPORT ARTWORK, AVOID IT.