AMBRE new RoonReady endpoint

I’m using the I2S cord that came with the Ambre. Should I upgrade?

Why? I doubt Metrum would want customers to get less than optimal connection between Ambre and DAC by supplying a junk cable, given Ambre and DAC prices.

1 Like

My Ambre arrived today (a day early).
Hooked up - plug and play.
I hear a significant improvement in soundstage - not sure why that would be but music doesn’t seem tied to the speakers. Music is also clearer - especially vocals.
Very pleased. Ambre is connected to Gungnir MB via coax s/spdif.

2 Likes

It would be a little more interesting if you included what you were comparing it to, just for reference…

Fair point - and the answer probably makes it clear why I am seeing such a big improvement…
Old endpoint - cheap windows 10 fanless PC, usb out into usb cleaner and s/pdif into Gungnir MB.
Basically the cheap windows mini pc and usb cleaner has been ditched for direct s/pdif from Ambre to Gumby.
:+1:

If that was what you wanted, a DigiOne would have been a good option.

Yes, might go that way for other end points, though…I know the digione gets some good reviews. It was a toss up between the Ambre and Digione.
For my main listening room I didn’t want a digione. I find them a tad ugly (and can’t be bothered searching around for a decent case and self building)

When you compare the ambre with a digione : they are not playing in the same league from SQ standpoint (also for money)

1 Like

Hmm, I use an Atom MINIX PC as an endpoint, a iFi USB decrapifier, and an iFi DAC/preamp to Vidar monoblocks driving GoldenEar speakers. My music has never seemed tied to my speakers. Although it could probably be better with greater high end equipment, on the analogue side, my soundstage has always been (relatively) wide and deep.

I’m not sure that the streamer one uses is to blame for poor soundstage, but it’s hard to argue with your experience.

At least, it’s better for you, now.

I’m with you on that - I really don’t understand why I would be hearing a difference in the sound stage. I get why the sound might be cleaner/clearer.
Prior to the swap out today, I was hearing an imbalance bewteen left and right speakers, which emphasised the the sound of the music being ‘stuck to the speakers’. I suspect I did something when moving kit around today in the rack (might have had a loose connection or something… although had checked a few times as I’ve felt for a while I was not getting enough from my speakers).

Sounds great right now.

1 Like

It’s not clear (or obvious) which you consider to be premier league. Presumably you’ve heard both (and presumably DigiOne signature, if so was it battery powered on the clean side?).

looking to add ROON endpoint to my Naim uniti2 via coaxial cable, thinking of Ambre , reading through this forum , Ambre sound good but now there is Baby Ambre any idea what is the difference in components and sound quality , half the price though

Instead of a regular Pi board the Baby Ambre uses a Pi compute module (3), comes with a probably simpler (still built-in) switching power supply and less in ouput options. Also, my guess there’s less chipery inside for “noise & clock magic” - but I never looked into a big Ambre to compare. The Baby’s S/PDIF is using a Cirrus WM 8804 transceiver - one of the reasons why it shows as having a HifiBerry Digi+ Pro hat in RoPieee; the big Ambre has a customized RoPieee image while the Baby seems to use the standard built.

As for sound quality I can only give my impressions:

When I compared an Ambre with its Baby brother I couldn’t make out an audible difference in my audio chain. I also made a few hobbyist measurements and there was no real difference in the numbers RMAA produced either. But you shall not and cannot rely on those results… :wink:

Well, the Baby Ambre is still here with me, but as I said: just my impressions.

I think Metrum Acoustics offers a 30 day trial period so you could compare yourself.

BTW if you would want to use the device with different software than RoPieee you have to disassemble it to get to the SD card - and for the Baby Ambre I haven’t read anything about official support for other software than RoPieee. In this regard an Allo DigiOne or a Hifiberry Digi+ might be better / more versatile. To my ears and perception there’s no real difference between a Baby Ambre or an Allo DigiOne (or a “Big” Ambre) either.

Thanks so Much U_gee for this information, I did look at Hifiberry Digi+ and Allo DigiOne , although they have good reviews , they are not sort of plug and play. I am technically minded but I feel when it comes to music I prefer a plug and play with no added power supply options or case choices…, , hence I am leaning towards Ambre, and I know it is only your personal opinion but I may follow it as there seem to be no difference in Sound Quality for double the price

The DigiOne is stunning. I hear what you say about technically minded. I’m not technically minded but I’m stubborn, it’s logical rather than technical. Power supplies make a big difference and it’s fun experimenting.

So Barrowboy would you recommend HIFIBERRY DIGI+ BUNDLE, in this bundle there is power supply but it looks cheap power supply for a HIFI device !

Except for assembling the parts there’s not really that much involved in setting up a Pi based streamer. I’m using this audiophonics LPS with my DigiOne. To be honest besides the convenience of having an on/off switch I don’t think there’s a real difference compared to a standard wall wart switching power supply (and I tried to measure it, too).

The Baby Ambre looks neater than the DigiOne, but that is hidden more or less anyway.

This is sound advice u_Gee. I suppose all in all with the audiophonics LPS it i still a fraction of the price of Baby.

I was just commenting on All DigiOne, Hifiberry are also very good. I would look into separate power supplies though.

I don’t know Baby but I can absolutely recommend the Ambre. Well worth the extra investment, especially when using i2s.