An audio file is loading slowly - usb connection

Hi,

I am connecting Roon through usb in MacBook computer to usb input connection on my McIntosh C52. The music stop playing after few seconds and I am getting the error message “an audio file is loading slowly”. This does happen even for music that I have on disk.

This problem just start happening after I added Qobuz service to Roon and stream a 192 kHz file. Since then I am keep getting this error. It looks like Roon is sending some audio format that causes the McIntosh c52 goes to mute.

Any idea what is going on?

Thanks,
Ashkan

Hi @Ashkan_Gholamzadeh,

Does the same behavior occur if you play this content to System Output of the Core machine?

Is it only 192 content from Qobuz causing this issue? Is similar local content working okay?

Same thing happens in core machine and it happens for local audio files as well that are in in 16 bit 44khz flac format .

Sounds to me like a power cycle of the kit is needed. Also, is the Mac connected via WiFi or Ethernet?

Mac is connected via WiFi and through usb to McIntosh c52. So when you’re saying power cycle you mean restarting MacBook ?

Restart the MacBook and also the amp. And as a sanity check, connect via Ethernet if you can and see if the problem changes.

Hello @Ashkan_Gholamzadeh,

Yes, please reboot your Core and McIntosh DAC as well as a troubleshooting step.

Can you confirm what kind of disk you have? Is it an internal SSD that is also experiencing this behavior or an external disk/NAS?

Restarting computer solved the problem but it happens again and every time I need to restart computer to make it work. It’s not stable and reliable. The disk is internal none ssd hard driver on Mac book, I will appreciate further help with this issue.

Hi @Ashkan_Gholamzadeh,

Can you please note the exact local time + date + track this issue next occurs and let us know this info here?

It just happened today at 10:22am, May 25, 2020 on “Love Me or Leave Me” from Nina Simone.

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know the timestamp. I have gone ahead and enabled diagnostics mode for your account and what this action will do is next time your Core is active, a set of logs will automatically be generated and uploaded to our servers for analysis. Once this report is received, I will requested additional feedback from our technical team.

@noris: Just for you info it happens today May 31 again. at around 1:30pm.

1 Like

Hi @Ashkan_Gholamzadeh,

Thanks for the additional timestamp. I see that your case is still pending review, I have also just pinged the technical team for a status update on your case. Once I hear back, I or another Roon support staff-member will follow up.

Looking at your Roon logs, it appears that there may be an interaction with the Chromecast devices on your network that is causing Roon to encounter some errors. Would it be possible for you to try to reproduce this issue with the Chromecast devices powered down and not connected to the network?

-John

I can do that but this problem also happened when I had no chromecast in network. The computer that is running roon core has been connected to network through ethernet cable if that info does help.

Hi,
This just happened again today June 20th, at 12:36PT. I don’t think this
has anything to do with Chromecase that is connected to the network. This
same exact problem with this error of “network slow…” did happen in the
past when there was no Chromecast in network and the only fix was to
restart the computer. This has been a bit frustrating as I an not getting
the value from what I pay for and after 20 minutes listening to music
things stop working. Would you escalate that?

Thanks,
Ashkan

We have been unable to reproduce this issue so far with our in-house McIntosh C52 Pre-amp and a MacBook Pro using Roon.

Can you check that you have your local MacBook Pro firewall disabled in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Firewall?

-John

I checked that and Firewall is off. It did happen again today at July 4th, 1:15. Would you see from the log of my account what is going wrong. At some point the communication get lost between client and server so there should be some indications of has been going wrong.

Here the screenshot of the problem and more details in the case it would help:

The next time that this issue occurs, could you open the “Activity Monitor” app on your Mac and take a screenshot of the “CPU” tab? It should look like this:

When we see failures in your logs it appears that the entire system is acting slow which is resulting in Roon not being able to fill the buffer of the DAC quickly enough.

You can find instructions on how to take a screenshot on a Mac here.

To open activity monitor, I recommend clicking the “Spotlight” button in the menu bar and searching for the app by name.

-John