Android app crashes when android phone is locked [Ticket In]

If I have the Roon app running and active and I lock my phone (press power), and then unlock my phone, I see Roon for a flash and the it crashes and disappears. If I launch roon, switch to another app, and the lock/unlock my phone Roon doesn’t crash. Anyone else seeing this?

This is a 100% repro, happy to send any other info that could help.

My phone:
OnePlus 6T
Android Version 9 (OxygenOS version 9.0.11)

Hello @Arjun_Luthra,

Thanks for contacting us regarding this issue. I would like to see if we can trigger a change in behavior with your remote device by having you make the following adjustment:

• Go into “settings” and select “Battery”.
  • In the right hand corner of the screen please select “battery optimization” from the “3 dot menu”.
  • You should see a header at the top of the window saying “not optimized” with a little drop down next to it. Click the dropdown and choose “All apps”.
  • Once the “All apps” window is open navigate to and select “Roon”.
  • Once Roon has been selected please choose “Don’t optimize”.
  • With this adjustment in place please verify what the experience is like with the Roon remote app.

Thanks,
Noris

Thanks Noris!

That was unfortunately one of the first things I did, so that setting has been Don’t Optimize for a while, I should have mentioned that. For completeness, I just set it back to Optimize and Roon still crashes, and changed it back to Don’t Optimize and Roon still crashes.

Hello @Arjun_Luthra,

Thanks for letting me know. Have you also tried re-installing the Android App? I would give that a go if you have not, please let me know if that helps.

Thanks,
Noris

Didn’t try that, but just did, same issue.

Hello @Arjun_Luthra,

Thanks for letting me know that the same issue is happening. I have checked our internal ticketing system and I was able to find a ticket for this issue, our technical team has been able to reproduce this behavior and we’ve opened up a bug report with our developers.

While I can’t say for certain when this bug will be fixed, getting things reproduced in-house is a critical first step, and I will keep this thread up to date as the team passes along feedback and work begins to get this resolved. Please note that we are working on a complete overhaul of our android infrastructure as Mike mentions here (LG V30 Andoid app - Clicks and gaps). Thanks again for the report!

– Noris

Thanks for letting me know @noris!

I hope the bug does get fixed, it’s quite frustrating! Excited about the new app but worry it’s too far out, we use the roon app every day :slight_smile:

There is one other setting to check:

Thanks @Jan_Koudijs! Unfortunately that did not work either.

So… Here we are in July and this issue obviously hasn’t been addressed. I just purchased a Samsung Tab A SM-T510 with Android 9.0 and the behavior is identical with crashes every time the device sleeps. I have already done the battery optimization as suggested with no change in results.

When my we expect a fix for this?

Hi @Robert_Broder,

Thank you for your additional report here. As I mentioned previously, we understand what is causing this behavior and the dev team is currently working on infrastructure changes to our Android app which should help mitigate this issue.

I can’t comment on when the updates will be released (since they need to be finalized and tested by QA beforehand) but we are hoping to address this behavior in a future Roon update.

While I can’t comment on when the update will be published, the best place to check for any new information would be in our Release Notes Section of this site, so I would keep a close eye on that category.

Thank you in advance for your patience here!

FYI, I no longer see this. I’m assuming a fix was made? If so, thank you!

1 Like

Hi @Arjun_Luthra,

Yes, a fix was applied for this issue in Roon version 1.7, glad to hear it helped in your case as well!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.