Android One Device Can't Connect to Core Windows 10 PC

Have you checked out the firewall exceptions for Roon in Windows Defender on the Surface Pro? I do remember (a long while ago) that mine mysteriously disappeared, probably as a result of a Windows Update…

Yep checked these in both winows defender and bullguard. Roon not showing as blocked in either.

My firewall apps exception list has an exception ticked for the Roon app - so my firewall is not blocking it as far as I know. Still none the wiser as to the real problem.

Hey @Nemo_Halperin,

I have enabled diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here. The next time your Core is active a diagnostics report will automatically be generated and uploaded directly to our servers

Once that’s been received, I’ll be sure to update this thread and pass the diagnostics over to the team for further analysis.

Thanks,
Dylan

Thanks a million Dylan (@dylan).

Will log on later today when I’m home from work.

Really appreciate your help.

Nemo

I believe you need to also add the RAAT process to the exception list.

RAATserver.exe was also permissioned for the firewall. So that was not the problem source.
Thanks

Hi Dylan and Robert,
@dylan / @Robert_Burns
Did the diagnostic check throw any light?

I received an email from Windows Central this afternoon entitled: " How to restore internet access to apps after the Windows 10 October 2018 Update"

Do you think that what is mentioned in the article is the issue affecting the connectivity of the Android Roon remote app to the W10 Roon Core?

RSVP
Thanks

Nemo

There are a lot of issue pages up on the Web about this update. Apparently one of them is trouble with connections. Just be thankful you still have your files!

Apparently you need to (1) enable IPV6, and (2) switch the Network Profile from Private to Public.

I would consider that only as a nuclear option of last resort. Setting the Network to Public invites issues otherwise. The link you posted talks about Windows Apps aka Modern Apps (as in Windows Store Applications not general Windows programs) and Windows Edge browser specifically.

1 Like

Frankly, that article strikes me as throwing stuff at a wall and hoping something will stick. And suggesting setting a home (private) network to be public is wrong on so many levels…

Many thanks for the sage feedback on the article. Still don’t know how to resolve the issue.

Ah, good to know. There’s a reason I haven’t used Windows in 12 years…

Hey @Nemo_Halperin,

First, I wanted to thank you for your patience while we are looking into this for you. I wanted to reach out and let you know that the team is still investigating the diagnostics report, but we are hoping that you can perform a quick test for us that should give us a little more information and allow us to further narrow down where this behavior may be stemming from.

If you use an app like FING to scan your network, does the Android device see the Windows Core machine?

Thanks!

Hi @dylan,

Thanks for the update.
Am at work now - but will check this out when I get home in about 5 hours time.
Have already found FING in the play store and installed it ready for use.

Thanks

Nemo

1 Like

Hi @dylan,

I used the FING app to confirm that my computer’s name was visible on my home private wireless network. Then I opened up the Android Roon remote app again, and inexplicably it was working again.

Do you know what had changed - either on your side or on the W10 side to unblock the issue?

I won’t consider this a closed item until we see out a week. Or perhaps this is a recurring issue linked to W10 updates?

Thanks

Nemo

Hey @Nemo_Halperin,

Thank you for the update here. I had a meeting with the team today and discussed this behavior that you’ve been experiencing. I checked with other members of the team and have confirmed that there are others on the latest stable version of Windows 10 who have not experienced similar issues.

As mentioned above in this thread, the latest Windows update has been particularly problematic for some, but it doesn’t seem to be an issue that is affecting all Roon users. In general, Windows Updates don’t cause issues with Roon (though sometimes Firewall settings are reset and need to be updated). If problems pop up when auto updates occur we do our best to resolve them but the updates themselves are out of our control.

One thing I am curious to know — Can you confirm the exact Windows update you are on? Are you running the latest stable version of Windows, or is there any chance you are a part of the Windows Insider Program and receive pre-release builds of Windows?

The type of connection issue you are reporting is typically not associated with Windows update issues (though, again, this latest update has notorious problems). Often times these types of issues stem from networking related troubles. If this behavior occurs again when there is no Windows update, I definitely think that doing some network troubleshooting would be the next step here.

A great test would be to know if this problem is affecting any device, or just one. If you have any other devices capable of being a Roon remote (this can be a Windows, Mac, iOS, or Android device) then testing if that other device can connect when the Android One device is in this state would provide some great data.

For now I am glad to know that things seem to be working as expected. Please keep us updated and let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

Folks, you can stop referring constantly to Android One. It is an Android device with recent enough OS revision level to run Roon remote. In this case, Android One does not matter one iota.

AJ