Android remote freezes completely

Hi @Axel_Lesch

Have you continued seeing this since the last release? Has there been any change in frequency?

Hi @dylan,
there can’t be any change in frequency because with my phone the Roon remote app simply cannot be opened at all.
Please see screenshots above.
So I can’t use my phone as a remote with Roon since then:

Hi @Axel_Lesch ,

Sorry to hear that you’re still having difficulties with the Android app here.

I’ve just tried to enable diagnostics mode for your Android device and what this should do is send a log set to our servers next time the app is active.

Can you please try to open the app, let it run for a few minutes and let us know once you have done so, so that we can check to see if the log package came in? Thanks!

Thanks @noris,
I have done so between
Screenshot_20210626-002233_Gallery

And

Screenshot_20210626-002257_Gallery

CET

Hi @noris,
the app on my phone has been working properly again since this morning!
Being glad, I would still like to know whether this problem can recur after a while, as before, or whether everything is (probably) resolved?
Thanks anyway :slight_smile:

I spoke too soon. After a short time of playing the app is completely frozen, unresponsive and my phone as a remote unusable again.

Hi @Axel_Lesch ,

Thanks for the update here. I have checked our servers and I see that the diagnostics report from your Android device has reached our servers, I am escalating your case to the QA team for further feedback, thank you for your patience while this occurs. We will follow-up on this thread when we have more details!

2 Likes

Hello @Axel_Lesch ,

Earlier this week, we released a new build of Roon, can you please try to update to the latest version of Roon on your Android device and verify if the same issue is still occurring or if there has been a change in behavior? Thank you!

Hi @noris,
I have already done so, but sadly no change at all in behavior. I went through the whole procedure, deleting and fresh installing and rebooting everything possible, without success. I wish I could use my phone again … I cannot carry a tablet with me all the time around the house …

Hi @Axel_Lesch ,

Sorry to hear that there has not been any change in behavior with the new version of the app.

I would like to escalate your case to our senior QA team, but before I do that, I would like to see if there has been any change in the logs with the new Roon build.

I’ve just re-activated diagnostics mode for your Android device, can you please use try to use it for at least a few minutes and let me know here afterward?

Thank you!

Hi @noris,
I have tried it between

Screenshot_20210716-002544_Gallery

and

Screenshot_20210716-002609_Gallery

CET

Thank you!

Hi @noris,
in case some of this might be helpful, see screenshots.
In the Roon Remote app permissions it says:

No access to app permissions - Permissions for Roon Remote not allowed - Access denied

I have no idea if the problem has something to do with Samsung Knox, which can’t be disabled even though I don’t use it?
Anyway, Roon Remote used to work on this phone, Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, and still works with my old Samsung Galaxy Note 8, which is also secured by Knox.
However, I no longer own the Note 8 because I gave it to a family member.

1 Like

Hi @noris,
though I have become more cautious in the meantime, I would like to share that today the remote app has been working for a few hours, flawlessly.
Now I hope that this time everything stays that way … ;-)))

@noris
It worked fine for two days, until I:

Just now rebooted my NUC8I7BEH, 8GB RAM Roon Rock core, all up to date
I do this from time to time every few days ,because I have the impression that it helps to avoid such problems like skipping tracks.

Around
10:00 CET, 22.07.2021
everything was still fine, I looked at my Daily Mixes, and then rebooted the Roon Core on my NUC before starting the music =>

Now nothing works anymore.
Frozen, unresponsive, as before.

I deleted the remote app, rebooted everything possible, made a fresh install =>
No success.
This is really frustrating.
Despite all the caution, I was looking forward to it. I can’t carry the iPad around the house with me all day long

1 Like

Hi @noris
@support,

I just had another idea:

Are you aware that the US Model of the Galaxy Note 10 plus comes with another processor, snapdragon, than the European Model with Exynos?
Also GPUs are different for both:
The US Model comes with Qualcomm and the EU model with ARM MALI-G76 MP12.

https://www.cpu-monkey.com/de/compare_cpu-samsung_exynos_9825-1694-vs-qualcomm_snapdragon_865-1667

I have the EU EXYNOS model with ARM MALI-G76 MP12 GPU

1 Like

Hello @Axel_Lesch ,

Thank you for sharing that additional information and those screenshots!

I can confirm that a new log set from your Android device has reached our diagnostic servers, and I have requested additional feedback here from the senior QA team regarding these logs.

As soon as we have some more information, I or another staff member will reach out, thank you for your feedback thus far and for your patience while these logs are reviewed!

2 Likes

@noris
For me, unfortunately, everything is unchanged with build 816, the remote app is frozen and does not respond. I rebooted everything.
But the app is build 816 and Rock server software is still 814 - is that what you wanted?

Hello @Axel_Lesch ,

Thank you for the additional information and for your patience here.

I have consulted with our senior QA team regarding the log traces from your Android device and we are wondering if this issue might be due to the System Language on your Android device.

Would it be possible for you to try to change your Android System Language to English instead and verify if the behavior persists? This should give us a good data point to investigate if the language is causing this behavior.

Any questions, just let us know, thank you!

Hi @noris
Right now it works.
I uninstalled the app, changed the system language to English as the only one, rebooted phone, reinstalled the remote app, rebooted Rock … without success.
But, strangely enough, a few hours later it works.
???
I hope it stays that way this time:)
Thanks anyway :))

I can’t believe it :(((
One hour later the issue’s back, nothing works anymore.