Android remote freezes completely

Hello @Axel_Lesch ,

Sorry to hear that the behavior is still the same even after changing the language settings. I can confirm a new log set has been received and I plan to discuss your case with QA again later this week, thank you.

It worked flawlessly for 5 days, from September 2nd until today.
Now Sept. 7. the issue’s back and the app is frozen again.

Hello @Axel_Lesch ,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you here and the continued frustration. I have spoken to the team regarding this behavior.

The next step here would be to take a look over your Android system-level logs, I have just sent instructions on how to access these via private message, please provide these logs when possible, thank you!

@noris
Since the last update I noticed this change:
Mostly, not always, when I reboot Rock OS core running on a nuc and IMMEDIATELY open the roon remote app on my phone, the jellyfish appears for a while until the nuc has rebooted, and next the normal Roon Home screen appears.
Music can be played and everything works, but as soon as I tap on show “Home”, the screen freezes again and nothing works anymore.
Other functions can be operated, such as calling up playlists and albums, changing speakers, etc.

1 Like

Hi @Axel_Lesch ,

Thank you for that additional data point and for sending the system logs over. I wanted to touch base with some good news, our dev team is looking into similar behavior and has your report for reference in their investigation. This of course does not mean that there will be an immediate fix, but I do want to let you know that progress is being made. Thank you for your patience here!

1 Like

@noris
Unfortunately, since today’s update for my phone everything is the same as before:
There is no longer any way to open the remote app, not even with all the tricks.

However, this update appears to have been just a security update:
Security patch level: 2021-10-01

Hi @Axel_Lesch ,

Sorry to hear that the security update has changed things here. We are still working on the development ticket on our end, but unfortunately I don’t have any specific updates to share at this time.

Hello @Axel_Lesch ,

We have recently released Roon Build 880, which should help with the behavior reported in this thread.

Please try the new Roon build and let us know if you’re still seeing issues after!

Thanks!

Hey @noris
Unfortunately the app still freezes after updating.
I have now bought three additional remotes in order to have one in each room, as I cannot use the phone that I always carry with me as a remote.
I can live with that, because all other 5 remotes work perfectly with Roon, just not my EU model Note 10+
(I went through the whole procedure with uninstalling and reinstalling, rebooting everything … but nothing helps. The error appears to be still the same)

@Axel_Lesch - Sorry to hear that the issue is the same on your Note 10+ EU, I’ve mentioned this to the QA team. Of the other 5 remotes work as expected, please use them for now. We will let you know if we have any additional updates to share, thanks!

Hi @noris
I have good news - everything seems to be working again after the update to build 882 … and I hope it stays that way this time.
I will watch the whole thing a little longer, report and hopefully this thread can be closed :slight_smile:
Thanks again to the team and Happy Holidays to everyone who reads this! :christmas_tree: :notes:

2 Likes

Good to see such a positive approach…

@noris
Unfortunately it stopped working after a few hours of playing music … but why? Loads of ram left on my phone.

Maybe it has something to do with working with Roon OS Rock RAM?

This topic was automatically closed after 16 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hi @Axel_Lesch,

I noticed in the other thread that you said that this issue is back, so I have re-opened your thread. I think we’ll need to take a look at Android system-level logs if we wish to pursue further troubleshooting here, if you can please access these, I will provide instructions below on how to do so.

Connect your PC to Android phone and install ADB (instructions are here (all platforms)). Then:

1. Type adb shell in terminal
  2. Type logcat v (ref: Logcat command-line tool  |  Android Developers)
  3. Reproduce the problem and let terminal print logs for 3-5 more seconds
  4. Select output from the moment you started the reproduction of the bug till the very end
  5. Upload the log here and let us know once you have done so:

https://workdrive.zohoexternal.com/collection/8i5239cc05950ac07456889838d9319545a82/external

Thanks!

@Axel_Lesch I got the same problem after updating the app on my EU Samsung galaxy 21FE freeze, and is not responding, several uninstall and install didn’t help.

Software android 12

And yes I did reboot server and phone.

This is where I get stock every time.

@anon60681764
I’m sorry that you are facing the issue as well, sadly still no solution since May last year.

To save my nerves I bought some inexpensive remotes, one for each room, while I can’t use the phone in my pocket for this purpose.

Sorry, I can’t tell you more …
Other than that, I am quite happy with Roon, so that’s no reason for me to turn away.

Of course, I still hope that the team can still manage it before my phone gets too old anyway and I have to buy a new one, not Samsung this time, I think :grinning:.
All the best,

@Axel_Lesch
I am afraid it not isolated to Samsung products this problem is affecting many other Android users, probably most of them whit Android 12.
But good to read you are patient user, I am not this is my third problem that never get solved,even after months of patient waiting.
So for me my subscription end next month, and if not everything working at this point I will leve Roon for good, no need for paying money for at systeme that not working.

1 Like

@noris
@support