Android Roon Remote freeze

See attached screen image, over the past several weeks, Roon Remote freezes and is non-functional. I have tried phone re-installing, clearing phone storage and cache.

Roon Core Machine

SonicTransporter i7, Small Green Computer
On my Win10 PC: Roon version 1.8, build 952, 64bit - latest

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Google Pixel 3, Android 12
Android Roon Remote last update 2022-05-22
Wired LAN, Cisco Network switch

Connected Audio Devices

MSC Analog DAC w/Roon endpoint.
Three Squeezeboxes

Bump? Does anyone have suggestions?

Hi @Ralph_Burns,

Sorry to hear about your Android remote issues, we’d be happy to help.

Are you only having this problem with your Android remote or with your Windows remote as well? As a start, please uninstall the Roon app from your phone, restart your phone, then reinstall the app.

Please let us know if this helps. We’ll be watching for your response. Thanks!

Roon remotes on Windoze desktop and iPad both work fine.

Here’s my Android process:
(1) force stop
(2) clear cache
(3) clear storage
(4) restart phone
(5) re-install Roon, restart phone again, just 'cause
(6) pout and otherwise carry on

Been thru that Android no-joy process enough times to be institutionally committed.

There’s been some Roon updates, but still the final “select an audio zone” freezes on my Android, and I cannot select anything on screenshot #4, including the menu off to the upper left.

Also, if from screenshot #2 I select “Configure Roon OS devices on your network”, then it goes to screenshot #3 and just hangs searching without finding any cores (even though it identified my core in the previous screen). Therefore, I get to screenshot #4 from screenshot #2 with “connect”.

Screenshot #1:

Screenshot #2:

Screenshot #3:

Screenshot #4:

Hi @Ralph_Burns,

Thank you for getting back in touch. You’re not going to see anything on screenshot above because you’re not running Roon OS, you’re on a SonicTransporter. The Roon OS screen will o only populate if you’re Core is on Nucleus or ROCK.

It looks like your Android Remote may not have received an IP address consistent with your Core when you last updated. Please reboot your router and core to see if that helps.

You may also want to reach out to Small Green Computer Support. It seems like your issue occurs frequently with Core updates on those machines.

The core I am running is a computer that is running the Roon application. The Android remote app use to work before Roon updates. The Android app correctly reads the core computer IP address.

Here is the reply from Small Green Computer:

> " because you’re not running Roon OS, you’re on a SonicTransporter. The Roon OS screen will o only populate if you’re Core is on Nucleus or ROCK."
*> *
> I don’t even know what he is talking about here. But it does not answer your question about why you can not select a zone in the android app. - Small Green Computer

I would appreciate some Roon support to make this work. It works using an iPad as a remote. The smartphone is the most useful method to control some endpoints, such as Squeezebox in the garage when I’m a long distance from the home office computer.

Hi @Ralph_Burns,

I’m sorry to hear that your issue persists. I decided to take a look at diagnostics and I found a couple of interesting things.

There is a consistent theme in the logging that shows your core trying to connect to your Pixel, failing, and giving up. It’s repeated close to 100 times in one log alone.

It sounds like what Jamie mentioned might still be relevant.

Have you tried powering down your network and core and then bringing them back one at a time? Here are some specific steps from the sonic transporter forums.

Please let me know how it goes.

Thanks,
Wes

1 Like

After a long power-off with the Core SonicTransporter, and also a reboot of the network, the Android app is working again. One of the community threads mention that causes a fresh DHCP assignation (outside of my knowledge).

Thanks, Ralph

2 Likes

Great news. Enjoy the music and have a great weekend.

Wes

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.