Annoying delay when going to Overview in ipadOS

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
QNAP TS-470 Pro (Intel i5 3470T, 16Gb RAM, 3*6Tb WDRed, 256Gb Samsung SSD for RoonDB) or any other of my Cores for that matter.
Library 150K tracks ca 5K Tracks on Qobuz & Tidal
Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Primarily wired 1Gbps CAT6, but Control over 5Ghz WLAN.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Auralic Aries G1 (WLAN) and Femto (Wired), Zen Mini MkII (Wired, in Roon Bridge mode, or server)

Description Of Issue
Just like the very annoying delay on the Dicover-view, nowadays the very same behaviour exists on the Overview page… :frowning:

I have complained about the Discover view issues previously:
Discover-function on iOS/Performance issues iOS

This has been introduced after 1.7 i believe, but the slow searches of early 1.6 may have hid this issue earlier.
I see the very same behaviour in both of my iPads, one older Air and a pretty recent 9.7" 2018 version.
There is a delay also in the desktop apps, but i haven’t timed that.
In the iPads i’d say there’s a delay of around 2seconds. Not the biggest issue in these days, but Overview is my go-to start page in Roon.
If i go into Albums, Artists or any other page the response is instantaneous.
If i disable my music services (Both Tidal and Qobuz) the delay is but gone, i can merely glimpse the animated Roon icon going into Overview.

Please, please have a look at the performance issues that has plagued Roon since 1.6… It’s no longer a comfortable solution.

Hi @Mikael_Ollars,

Is there any change in behavior if you re-install the iPad apps? How large is your library, what it the number of tracks & albums?

Just removed and then reinstalled the iPad app on my 2018-model, same behaviour… :frowning:

I have another Server up and running also, which performs similarly, in that case it’s an Innuos Zen Mini MkII with a smaller library, about 30K local tracks. The same online libraries though. Same behaviour.

I’ll start up my ROCK on an NUC8i3 with 4Tb internal SSD also, i expect similar behaviour once again.

Started up my ROCK (NUC8i3, 8Gb RAM, 256Gb Samsung Evo 970 m.2, 4TB Samsung QVO SSD) and see only slightly improved times for displaying Overview. I see the animated Roon icon for about 1.5-2 seconds each time i select the overview from the hamburger menu.
(If i use the back-icon there is no noticeable delay whatsoever)
Library, 130K tracks, ca 100K locally, 25K on NAS and 5K from Qobuz & Tidal…

Hi @Mikael_Ollars,

Thanks for trying ROCK again. Would it be possible for you to record a short video of this behavior? You can use iOS built-in screen recorder to do so:

Thanks for the tip! Didn’t know about this function.
I made a short recording of my iPad 2018 screen, still using my NUC8i3 mentioned above.

The Discover-page was worse than usual this time, as i had previously shut down the Roon app.

Same iPad using Zen Mini MkII as Roon Server:

And finally, using my standard Roon Server, the QNAP Ts-470. Exceptionally slow Discover page loading here…

Library sizes:
ROCK NUC8i3 - 130K tracks
Zen Mini MkII - 32K tracks
QNAP TS-470 Pro - 150K tracks

Finally, a recording of the QNAP TS-470 with Qobuz and Tidal disabled, and core freshly restarted.

Hi @Mikael_Ollars,

Thanks for sharing those videos. I’m wondering if these delays could be stemming from the network environment. Can you please provide some more information as to your networking setup? Is the behavior the same if you temporarily connect one of your Cores directly to the router as well as the iPad?

The behaviour is identical while running on my MacBook Pro, when it is used as a Core. So, that should mean its not related to local network? Or am i missing your point here?

I have a 100Mbps/100Mbps internet connection via fibre, rarely see response times over 10ms. The iPads are connected on a 5Gz WLAN, 4 meters from the brand new Asus RX58U router. 8’d say i have a good quality Internet pipe! :slight_smile:

Yes, this helps disprove my networking theory. Ok, let’s focus on this issue happening on the Macbook Pro when it’s hosting the Roon Core.

Can you reproduce this behavior on the Macbook (Core mode only - no remotes) and and let me know the exact local time + date when it occurs next?

After getting the timestamp I can go ahead and enable diagnostics mode and dive deeper into the logs.

Hi Noris,
I am on my MacBook Pro 2017 as portable Roon system, with an external 4Tb hard drive and a reasonable Internet connection (checked to be somewhat unstable, but the best figures seen were 10Mbps/10Mbps with a response time of around 12-15ms.
At 19:16 CET I browsed the menus with a quite swift reponse actually, I don’t think the delay to show Overview was more than 2 seconds at any time. So, better than average, but still the dreaded animated Roon-icon… (Both Qobiz and Tidal active)
Went back to Overview again at around 19:23 and then into Genres and Discover and both were remarkably swift in this situation. (My portable library is about 100K tracks incl 5K tracks from online services.)

Hi @Mikael_Ollars,

Thanks for testing the Core behavior. It sounds like this issue only impact your Roon Remotes in that case?

1-2 seconds sounds like a fairly reasonable time-frame and that’s approximately what I’m seeing on my end as well when opening overview (library of 130k tracks).

On the Roon Remotes/Cores with this issue of longer than 2 seconds, is the behavior the same if you click on Overview, navigate to another page and then navigate back to overview or is the delay the same as the first time around?

Hi Noris, thanks for looking into this.

The behaviour is generally this;
I start up my Roon app after having powered up the pre.
As the Overview is my preferred page it if often displayed as the first page. I will see the animated Roon icon for a a couple/three seconds and then the Overview will display. I usually navigate to ”latest albums”, if i dont play something directly displayed.
In each case the response is instantaneous. If i navigate back to to the Overview using the back-button top left, there is no delay. If i go to Overview using the hamburger-menu, the animated Roon icon is sure as taxes going to be staring me down for a couple of seconds.

Roon pre 1.6 NEVER ever was this slow and cumbersome, with a only slightly smaller library. This is not acceptable, whether it is 2 seconds or 4seconds. I use other library software often, due to the poor performance of Roon. Yes, it’s a compromise as the ”others” dont have all the options like Roon has, but having worked with computers and systems since early 90’s my patience is ZERO when it comes to waiting.

I experience the exact same problem ever since1.7
@noris here’s my set up:

1 Like

Hi @Mikael_Ollars /@stevev1,

Thanks for the additional information. I brought up your report today with the technical team and we’re planning to look into this issue further.

We haven’t done any specific performance-based analysis since the recent release of Roon, but we’ll look further into the behavior you reported and see if we can improve in this area of the app.

Much appreciated! :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.