Another odd screen issue

New feedback d4639880d6232ddd

Tim

1 Like

So @Nathan_Wilkes,

You reflashed from scratch right. Whatā€™s exactly the status at your end?
What kind of hardware do you have?

@anon97951896,

Are you willing to do one more experiment? Switch to the beta channel and reboot.

Ran out to grab some lunch and run a few errands.

Just switched to Beta channel and rebooted ā€¦ feedback is 9604005e220a526a

Screen came up with Unknown for artist, album and track. Started play in Roon and everthing filled in as expected and is playing music as expected.

Tim

1 Like

ok thanks. keep me posted if it keeps working like expected.

Should I stay on the Beta channel? Iā€™m fine with that even it it means the occasional bump in the road when you push out an update.

Tim

yeah no problem. still running ok?

Yes ā€¦ The Pretenders are coming through loud and clear at the moment.

Thanks again for all your help tonight!

Tim

1 Like

Shutting down for the night, everything has been working smoothly for over 7 hours.

Tim

1 Like

Harry, after flashing the recalcitrant RP3 w/display (the one that ran out of space), i reverted all of my changes to test whether the problem was in fact that device. Today, however, the same behavior manifested itself: music would play but the displays would not wake up. (The extension must have been hung.) Remotely Iā€™d restart the extensions for my family, and the displays would wake up but not follow Roon (eg crash again). I updated to 153, with no apparent change.

So, tonight, I disabled wireless on my NUC core running ROCK as my only change. The dispiays have been behaving perfectly so far, but we will test more tomorrow during our day (PST). Feedback just now from the KitchenDisplay: eb9789f1f7e07f88

You asked about hw:

Hardware

• NUC6I5SYH running latest ROCK
  • Synology 415+
  • 7 RP3s, 3 dedicated to displays, the others with a variety of HATs, all running RoPieee (mostly ethernet, two music end points wireless)
  • NUC --> switch (some endpoints here, Synology here) --> router <-- switch <-- other end points here
  • No evidence of significant network instability (I track via rrd)
1 Like

Hi @Nathan_Wilkes,

Thanks for your extensive report!

In the mean time @anon97951896 has been running the beta version for 7 hrs without failure.

So 2 things I guess:

1. Can you switch to the beta channel and update?
  2. @anon97951896 are you running ROCK also with a wireless interface?

Regards harry

I am running Roon ( Control, Core & Output ) on Windows 10 Home 64 Bit on an Intel NUC7I7BNH with 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD boot drive and 2 TB SATA spinning disk which holds my music. This NUC is also my Plex server which runs 24x7. Connected using Gb Ethernet to a Cisco switch and then on to my Orbi Router. The NUC is upstairs where my cable connection comes in and the Pi with touchscreen is downstairs and connects via WiFi to an Orbi Satellite. The PC I am using to write this connects to the same Orbi Satellite and it just got a download speed of over 175 Mbps using Speedtest.Net and 180 Mbps using Netflixā€™s Fast.Com. Bluetooth and WiFi are both active on the NUC but not connected to anything. Will probably disable them.

Started playing music again about 30 minutes ago to the Pi with touchscreen, no problems.

Let me now if you need any more information.

Tim

Nathan,

Thanks for writing the Beginnerā€™s Guide, I used it when I setup my first Pi.

I hope you donā€™t mind a question about your configuration. You appear to have three locations ( Kitchen, Living Room & Cave ) that have two Pi devices, one with and one without display. Iā€™m assuming the ones with the displays are not endpoints, just control unis. I referred back to your guide and I did see that mentioned as a possibility but there were no instructions on how to do it.

Is it as simple as installing the software, not selecting a HAT or USB and then specifying the Roon Control Zone on the Display tab?

Thanks ā€¦ Tim

Yes it is. And in the not-so-distant feature you can select the zone directly from the screen.

3 Likes

@spockfish, if you donā€™t mind I want to test a bit more with the ā€œno wireless Rockā€ config. If that goes well then Iā€™ll update everything to beta tonight, if you agree?

Nathan

Harry,

Ropieee has really made it easy for me to enjoy my music. Now going to setup another Pi in my living room just to display what is going on 15 feet away from the couch.

Thanks ā€¦ Tim

1 Like

@anon97951896, as Harry says, yes.

Iā€™ll take a look at the guide and (hopefully) make this more clear. Since Harry is hinting at some cool new features, Iā€™ll need to update anyway. Feel free to make suggestions in that thread.

Nathan,

Thanks for responding and all the work you put into guide. Now that Iā€™ve seen your Pi configuration I have a better appreciation of why you are the right person for the job.

Tim

1 Like

OK guys, I"m going to prepare a release and push whatā€™s in beta to stable.
Thanks for your time and feedback!

What do you mean by ā€˜re-enableā€™? If I find it not enabled, of course I enable it. But do you mean if I find it already enabled, I should remove it and re-enable it?