Any thoughts of adding a Podcast section?

A podcast add-on would be fabulous! Hopefully some sort of integration with Apple Podcasts so that things can sync properly (not holding breath as Tidal doesn’t fully sync properly). It would be wonderful to have KCRW’s music programming available via roon.

Roon is an awesome controller for evey endpoint I have, so podcast support would be fantastic. But in the spirit of agnostic services, I hope they consider integtration with @pocketcasts. Really top-tier software, great app for both Android and IOS.

3 Likes

I second that, I think adding pod cast would greatly expand the service. Here’s hoping that they will look into this.

1 Like

Podcasts/Audiobooks would be a great addition, but I understand that it’s not easy to integrate them well into Roon.

Well, if Roon/ROCK could receive AirPlay I wouldn’t be in the need to have such features baked into Roon. I just could say my mobile podcast player to send the Audio to Roon to serve my Amp.

Well, I could add my AirPort Express to the audio chain, but that will add 4 Watt of permanent power consumption to my setup. And that solution is not able to stop the music when I start a podcast.

1 Like

What a battle!

I cannot understand people fighting the suggestions of others. How arrogant.

As to Roon’s charter, a important aspect is having all your music in one place, the digitized CDS, the streaming from Qobuz or Tidal, radio stations. Handling high definition sources is by far not the only “serious” endeavour!

Among the radio stations I defined in Roon France musique occupies a prominent place, as well as the specialized webradios they broadcast. Give a look, it is worth while: https://www.francemusique.fr/.

I have a long practice of downloading podcasts from various programs. The downloads are easy to organisze within Roon. Yet I am missing a direct access to the RSS feeds through Roon, so I can listen to podcasts from the Roon command center without downloading them. I can still go to the dedicated sites but actually hate to have to manage too many entry points to the music I listen to.

For those who doubt about the seriousness of podcasts dedicated to music, here a few examples:

Some listen to music not just to hear some high definition but to enrich their lives with a variety of sources and music enriched by information.

3 Likes

for many people there is a built-in fear of all change, the desire to be in a familiar environment provokes a reaction to resist everything new and possibly unknown.

Very smug of both of you.

My reply -

how on earth this would be a smug, I just stated the general observation of how people behave in new things is fiercely opposed.
For myself, it’s exactly the same whether Roon has POD cast playback, just like I don’t use Roon Live Radio at all, yet I find it a great feature that’s fun to show to friends. ( I havent been listening Radio at all since late 1980)

From Vocabulary.com -

Making a statement that ‘many people’ don’t want podcasts because they fear change is an example of what I have highlighted above.

BTW - Fear of change refers to changing from one circumstance to another, not to a supplemental addition.

Thank you for english lesson, as you might already notice that english is not my native language (only third). Maybe we should stop this sematic discussion now?

3 Likes

Podcasts would be very welcome. Your observations are well made. If people don’t want to listen to Podcasts then don’t.

Why do you hate Podcast so much?? LOL.

This seems like a wholly sensible approach that doesn’t require Roon to immediately get bogged down with building tools to handle the downloading and management of podcasts.

In fact it might make sense to step back and generalise podcasts out to encompass other forms of grouped content like archived radio shows or even a selection of recordings or mixes that could be nicely grouped together. Maybe Series or Sets (as in a set or grouping of content).

This would probably be the minimum feature set needed to get it working:

• Create a new top level in Roon (called something like Series, Sets or Podcasts)
  • Create a new object type similar to Album (called something like Show, Podcast or Set as an underlying type, but that could be labelled by a user as XYZ Podcast, ZYZ Radio Show, Mellow Mixes, Party Mixes, Bob’s Collection of Live Recordings) that would sit in the above section and act as a container for individual audio tracks.
  • Define a tagging schema/rule that allowed individual audio tracks (Episode 3, XYZ Radio Show - 07 May 2021, Mellow Mix 1, Party Mix 1, Bob’s First Live Recording) to be attached to the above container.

Ideally the Series, Set or Podcast folder would allow a title, image and a description to be manually assigned.

In addition each individual item of content ie. a Show, Episode or Mix would ideally display it’s own thumbnail (rather than the parent/album thumbnail) when listed under the parent and also when played (see image below).

For podcasts and archived radio shows it would be really useful to be able to order them by date.

This would open up a lot of flexibility and allow users to mange a wide range of audio content that doesn’t fall under Roon current (very analog CD/LP centric) structure. Management, downloading and tagging of content could be managed separately with existing tools.

3 Likes

Would like the ability to play local files of my device like “Podcasts”

Please add a podcast section to Roon.

3 Likes

Another vote for podcasts. Something like how Sonos integrated Pocketcasts.

2 Likes

I’m listening to ‎Le Bach du dimanche sur Apple Podcasts and I miss Roon…

1 Like

+1 to PODCASTS!!!

yes please. both existing files in library and browsing/listening/subscribing via roon.

i think this would be fantastic, and almost essential at this point. it is sorely missing from the roon experience at the moment. thanks!!!

is there any way to get a response from roon about whether or not a podcast section/management feature is on the roadmap? sort of feels like shouting into the wind here. mean to say, it would be very helpful to know if there is something coming on this front, because IF NOT, i’d imagine that many of us will start/continue to more tightly integrate another solution for podcast consumption. thx!

You can have a response from us, but not about the roadmap.

We do not give progress updates, release dates, or timeframes of any sort. We rarely talk about the roadmap. We did that years ago, and we’ve learned our lesson. No good deed goes unpunished.

1 Like