Anyone any experience of the humming guru ultrasonic cleaner?

My friend had a few LPs cleaned on a £3K ultrasonic machine which is beyond his reach and wondered if this lower cost one was any good.

Yes I have it and it is great if you don’t want to batch clean a thousand albums (for this I used a different solution because it cleans 6 per batch - not as well, but OK for a first go through all old records - there are many similar ones with different mechanisms on eBay). May I refer you to:

Of course there will be the usual audiophiles that tell you that a 120 kHz medical emitter in a 4K vinyl cleaner is better, but you know the drill. And don’t go too deep into the rabbit hole of wetting agents.

2 Likes

Same here! Actually we are three vinyl guys sharing the ownership of this device. It’s a nice “finisher” but i prefer my Okki Nokki for the pre cleaning/dirty work! The combo of both the contact cleaning of the Okki and finishing touch of the Humminguru is a great combo.

And my advice is:
always add a few drops of wetting agent to the solution, and possibly a teaspoon of ipa (no, not the ale, i mean isopropyl alcohol)
It eases the drying and removes slight fingerprints etc.

1 Like

Thank you both very much.

2 Likes

Yeah, I went through my whole collection of old (and often dirty) records during Covid lockdowns with the aforementioned ultrasonic batch cleaner, and now I use the HG only for new records (or the occasional used VG+) so they are not really dirty.

1 Like

Channel 33 RPM did a couple of videos on this unit about a year ago. Check them out.

1 Like

Agreed, but rinsing agent for the dishwasher is fine. It does not have to be toxic industrial wetting agent where a drop kills a whole population of fish.

2 Likes

Anything can break. I had mine for over 2 years and not an issue, but I didn’t mass clean as mentioned - IMHO that’s clearly not what it is for. Though you can buy 10 for the price of one “audiophile” rip-off :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We are in 100% agreement! Audiophile cleansing agents are truly snake oil!

2 Likes

Just saying because my Naim forum thread takes the to-be-expected turns :wink:

1 Like

I’ve thought about getting one of these, but I’ve just stuck with my trusty Spin-Clean unit. It gets the job done for me and it was far less expensive. Plus there really isn’t anything to break or go bad over time.

1 Like

I had a Knosti a long time ago, way too much hassle and dripping. No, not if one wants to clean more than 5 records very superficially.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s usually the case for me. Between one to ten records at a time is all I’ll need to clean. I don’t buy vinyl very often, so I couldn’t justify the cost for the automatic machines for my use case.

1 Like

I meant 5 records all in all, ever :slight_smile:

Wow, I just saw the Spin Clean isn’t cheap either, 90 euros on German Amazon. I’d rather pay 350 for the HG.

2 Likes

Nothing seems cheap or inexpensive anymore. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Very happy with it, considering the price. Bit more time consuming than other methods, but very easy to handle.

My recipe is using distilled water with a tiny bit of wetting agent. I‘m still using the snake oil I ordered with the machine from HumminGuru, but I‘m pretty sure some dishsoap will do the job just as well. I‘m doing a quick pre-clean with a bit of that water with the agent on a good quality makeup-brush, following the grooves on both sides. Then HumminGuru, then a rinse in HumminGuru with just distilled water - no agent. I find that the tiny amount of agent still on the record after the first clean is sufficient to „wet“ the water enough on the rinse cycle in order to get deep into the grooves.

Using this method, it’s magic on my very old “never washed” records as well as on brand new ones. I’m not looking back, having experience with multiple “under €1000”-cleaners.

Was just about to order one and watched this:

Any comments?

I didn’t know there was that many words to spend on the subject…
I.e. i didn’t have the stamina to watch this. Do you mind giving us the management summary?

I think he said that after 25 cleans the records was sounding worse?
Hummingguru explicitly say’s “Do not use anything else than clean water” and this dude uses a wetting agent. (And i agree it is a useful addition to clean water)

And “clean water” in itself is a really tough nut…
A friend of mine did a thorough test, scientifically relevant, which revealed quite big differences between various types of “clean water” in this area.
Feel free to translate this:
Peo’s prylar - Page 12 - Euphonia Bildforum - Euphonia Audioforum (euphonia-audioforum.se)

1 Like

Better to read the YT comments instead of listening to 35!! minutes of waffling. Yes, 25 times. And it’s a Muse record and he keeps saying that it was destroyed, but we never hear what he means.

Yes, like any physical process eventually it will have an effect. Like, you know, scraping a diamond through the grooves.

1 Like

He suspected it was the frequency of the Humminguru that was damaging…