Apple Music integration (with new Apple Music Web-API?)

:+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

Have you ever seen Bob Marley singing upside down from a roof??? :rofl:

1 Like

Oh, sorry, I meant “Exodus” :slight_smile:

I expected due to the advertising (3D audio) that the Atmos version of “Exodus” would be much better than the 24bit 96kHz FLAC version of Qobuz. On the contrary: normal stereo wons.

1 Like

Well they should at least car about their own product, the Mac and why it cant do auto sampling switching
like an iphone can. That’s embarrassing.

Completely agree. Not too impressed with that one. I just listened to one song and that was enough.

Listen to the Rolling Stones Angie. I like that track . Lots of nice space.

Didn’t somebody somewhere mention watermarking in reference to AM too? Maybe it was in a link to a review?

You are comparing Dolby ATMOS processing with the non-processed file, rather than comparing like for like on each service. Certainly interesting, but overall I don’t find it very meaningful.

3 Likes

Here is a very good rundown on a why musickit is no use for streamers or apps like Roon, the downside of Airplay for this and it’s affect on SQ.

2 Likes

Airplay sucks . Apple needs a Spotify Connect solution quickly . I guess the Spotify Connect feature is not patented ? Tidal is doing it now .

Given the boss at Apple says he hears no difference between lossless and AAC I don’t think they will waste their development resources any more on this. They pipped Spotify to launching lossless , box ticked now move along.

3 Likes

If I remember rightly they were after C# devs at one point , shame I’m just too rusty :joy::joy:

If your streamer has Chromecast, it can do Connect with Spotity, Tidal, Qobuz, and just about any other service. The catch is Chromecast Audio is limited to 24/96, but that is plenty.

Apple isn’t going to integrate with Roon. Ever. Amazon won’'t either. Ever.

If Roon gives you power user features and capabilities that you enjoy/desire, that Apple or Amazon do not (and likely will not… Tidal and Qobuz have been targeting us the audiophile community for a lot longer than they have and Roon still has them 1-upped on a variety of features and capabilities), then switching to or supporting Apple or Amazon just increases the chances that either or both of the two services that do/will work with Roon fold, and we’re left with a great local media player for local files and an inferior streaming service for discovery…

Of course everyone is free to prioritize their spending and monthly budgets as they see fit… but Roon is enthusiast software, and “audiophile” is a well-known and long-understood “expensive hobby.” I would wager that most of us have a lot more skin in the game than just a couple Sonos Play One’s… the Roon user base and the “traditional HiFi” user base ven diagram probably heavily intersects… and if this is your “hobby” and you have that much skin in the game, the difference in monthly price is probably in the grass relative to what you’ve already sunk into this hobby…

I’m amazed that this continues to drive so much conversation on this forum

6 Likes

Its a forum. People tend to discuss things in a forum, especially topical things. Just sayin‘.

2 Likes

People here care about Roon. Having a good streaming service is fundamental to Roon in my opinion. If Tidal and Qobuz go under - which I have argued is much more likely now that Apple and Spotify (soon) will be lossless - Roon would become much less useful, and it might also go under - as users that care about streaming (most) would move away.

Is Apple going to allow or collaborate for it’s service to be accessible via hardware other than Apple’s? I don’t know, but it is hard to imagine them investing in ongoing work (even without development, hosting hi res is more expensive than hosting lower res) and leaving it at that. Incidentally, Apple does integrate with SONOS. This might be legacy from when Apple did not really have a credible streaming option, same as Spotify.

Spotify explicitly decided not to integrate with Roon, but in my view this was a decision based on the strategy of capturing all user information from their native apps. They instead came up with Spotify Connect, which is a brilliant idea that allows you to use the app as a “remote control” and have the stream go directly to the device. However it has the problem that you can only stream to ONE device, no multiroom with Connect (or any connect such as TIDAL or Chromecast).

Apple’s strategy seems to me to b very different: They don’t necessarily care to collect every click, but they do care about experience. Hence Airplay2 does NOT support a “Connect” like method, but supports multiroom.

4 Likes

+200%. If people just do the right thing all will be fine.

Roon is not Sonos, not even by a long shot.

As Timothy says above, audiophile users who care about streaming should not switch to Apple… I think the prediction of Qobuz and Tidal’s demise is more than a bit premature.

Apple/Amazon/Spotify are all just paying marketing lip service and a names/number game to collect more users and data and sell more of their own hardware - they could really care less about us audiophiles, which makes it disconcerting and sad so many self-professed audiophiles are ready to push Roon/Qobuz under the bus.

3 Likes

For me it’s already the case in some cars. Porsche for example.
Another example, it’s the availability of AppleTV+ app in the smartTV like LG, Sony.

1 Like

Jimmy I hope they keep it up.
I use Apple TV+ on my LG Oled TV and it is a very good app. I understand that the Android TV version is also very good from friend’s that have used them (I should put it onto my Shield TV but have not yet bothered).

When they need to make money from services they cannot just rely on their own hardware ecosystem. So far they have been slow to react but it looks like they now understand the need to expand this work.

It’s an old topic. None of the “recent developments” have any impact on the bottom line conclusions for us, the Roon user base. Their is nothing new to report on the matter. Just sayin’.