Apple TV Extension - Roon TV Remote

The only extension I use is the Apple TV Remote one… however it might be that your tip assists @R_102 in his troubleshooting!

Mark

Then the Extension probably don’t have the right to write the config.json file.

Look on your PC to see if you can find the file and check it’s access rights. The credentials for Roon authorization are saved in this file and my guess is, it is not there if you start the Extension for the second time…

Not sure where to look. My core runs on a NUC running ROCK. I can browse files on that machine via Finder on my Mac over the network, but couldn’t find a config.json file.

Am I looking in the right place, if so, which folder should is dig into?

Thanks for your suggestions by the way!

Mark

Hi @MortalWombatUK, @Alan_Sparks

As mentioned above I also suspect the extension is having issue loading / saving the config.json file.

Is the ATV running the latest TVOS?
Something may of changed in the TVOS world that’s having a knock on effect.

I’ll need to create a debug build in order to find out what’s going on. I’ll post up a link to a test build once its ready to go.

@Alan_Sparks I notice from your Extension authorisations screen shot that the extension reports two different IP address. Are you running the extension on two ATV’s or is it the same ATV but at a different IP address?

Thanks,
Russell

I have 2 ATV 4ks with it loaded. They both seem to work, until for whatever reason I open the app and it says I need to re-authorize the extension. Is this known not to work if you have more than one ATV?

The extension on each ATV seems to work fine, staying authorized and with the last-set zone - until it doesn’t. I’ve not found anything I’ve been doing on the Roon Core or the ATVs that might be a trigger.
-Alan

There is a chance that Roon Core cannot distinguish between the two ATVs. It gives credentials to the first one and the the second one, lookong like the first one, came back with other credentials. This also may be a reason if it always only fails with more than one ATV.

Funny but I never encountered this issue with rooExtend. I can run two Raspberrys with exactly the same software and both get recognized as independent Roon Extensions :thinking:

Does the Apple TV Extension use the official node.js Roon AP?

Yes it is…

1 Like

FWIW, my ATV’s are still running the 14.7 release, not yet plunged for 15.1…

I guess I’ll try uninstalling the TV:Remote app from one of my ATVs and see what happens… it usually seems to happen not immediately, but after a few days (odd in its own right).
-Alan

Running multiple ATV extension shouldn’t be a problem. I’ve ran multiple in the passed without issues.

It curious that both ATV’s are failing to remain authorised. Do they fail at the same time?

A TestFlight build is on its way!

1 Like

Excellent app. I just came across this thread and had to purchase and check it out. Great job.

I look forward to it getting even better with future updates.

Edit: I would love to see in the album section where you can have the same sort abilities as the Roon app. The addition of bookmarks would be great too.

2 Likes

Been meaning to ask… when I pull up the Browse screen and then Artists, the list is always sorted by first name. I’ve gone into the Display Settings, and the “artists sorted by” is set to last name.

Is there a way to fix this? Thanks,
-Alan

How are you accessing the “artists sorted by”?

OK, so that might help. Why are there 2 ways to set options and view artists?
I did try your explore > settings >sort by. Before I was using the settings on the left bar, at the bottom, a little gear icon. Changing this with the gear didn’t help - using the settings under the globe did.

BUT - there’s a person-shaped icon on the left, click it and you see artists - NOT sorted by last name. But under the globe > library > artists, they are sorted.

Why are there 2 inconsistent ways to browse?
-Alan

The browse hierarchy option are offered via the API. The globe icon sets the hierarchy to “browse”, with the other icons setting the hierarchy to “artists”, “albums” - basically short cuts.

The not sorting sounds like an Api issue. I’ve raised something similar for profile selection not being set in settings: Roon API - Selected profile isn't set [Report is in]

I’ll be removing the settings icon shortcut for the next release.

Hi, I have just updated Roon and the extension will no longer connect to the Roon Core. It’s running version 1.8 (Build 880).

Is this a known issue? Anyone got any advice on how to resolve?

Many thanks.

Fixed it! the port had changed from 9100. All good now.

Can you share what port number it is now? It changed from 9100 to ?

In my case it went to 9300.

All working from my side, no changes/updates needed…