Apple TV Extension - Roon TV Remote

Is it normal to have to re-enable the extension after a tvOS or iOS update?

I have just been asked to re-enable it… no ROON elements (including the TV Remote app) were updated. But iOS and tvOS were updated.

Mark

Slight anomaly here with an otherwise splendid app. At least one artist has no picture in the app, but does on iPad and iPhone.
For example, 40 Watt Sun:-

Any thoughts? The band’s picture comes from Allmusic, so it’s not to do with me tinkering (for once!)
Michael

PS One other thing is that the artist view sorts by first name, despite me having selected last name in settings. I did restart the ATV but that made no difference.

Me too… It affects e.g. Alexandra Whittingham or Arabella Steinbacher. I didn’t look any further. If I then click on the (non-image) icon, the image of the respective interpreter can be seen. So it is indeed missing in the round preview.

I just got this app looks very promising.

If I go into artists then into an artist then come out of that artist, I am put back to the beginning of the artist section, if I am in like pink floyd and I come out that is super annoying, is this known behaviour?

Cant say I’ve been asked to re-enabled the Extension after a tvOS update before.
In the past iOS has been known to uninstall apps to make room for the OS download/update and then re-install apps once the update has completed. Im not sure if they still do this, but it may of happened during the tvOS update.

Re: missing artist image

I’ve been able to replicate the no image case with “40 Watt Sun”. On the browser screen
I’m requesting a scaled down version of the artist images to improve browser perforce. Looks like there’s no image available at the request size in this case - I may have a fix for that.

I think this may be a quirk with the Browse API - The Roon Core handles the actually sorting rather than the app.

If I go to Explore (Globe image) > Settings and set the sort order there. Then go to Explore > Library > Artist. The selected sort order is applied.

Yeah, this is known behaviour - more info in the linked post below.

Ah thats a shame, kind of discounts its use as a browser sadly.

Nice for a remote screen display though, worth a couple of squid.

Hi - thanks for your clarification on artist picture.

As for the sorting, I followed your suggestion, but artists are still sorted by first name even though it shows as ‘last name’ in settings, whichever way I go to settings, from the gear icon or from the globe.
I fully closed and reopened the app, and also restarted the ATV, to no avail.
It’s not a big issue as I prefer to browse via my iPad, just a quirk really.

Michael

Hi,

I installed the extension today, setup was straightforward and everything works as expected. The only thing I am not able to figure out is how to skip back and forward with the new remote that comes with the Apple TV 4K. Right and left click on the navigation wheel only move the cursor. The solution is probably obvious but I would be grateful for any help.

Thanks.

1 Like

Be aware there is a screen saver screen after 20 sec.

I am not in front of it now but can try later.

Responding to myself here. I believe I have figured out the problem: once the Now Playing screensaver appears (after about 20 seconds) I am able to skip back and forward with the remote. If the screensaver is not active I need to navigate to the skip buttons and click OK.

1 Like

Is this the reason lyrics and artist notes are not present (if they are i’ve yet to find them)?

btw, just installed and took a trial run. great job and thx for making roon more accessible

Thanks @greggo

Unfortunately lyrics and artist notes aren’t featured in the API

This extension works for me, and it’s a nice addition to my family room TV area. I’m using it with an Apple TV HD. I’m running tvOS 15.1.1, the latest I think. Everything (including the Core!) is connected by WiFi using eero mesh routers scattered around the house. Works fine. Thanks for making this available!

One small hitch I experienced. After choosing Browse at the top of the screen, I went to Settings (“gear” icon at the bottom of the resulting left-side menu). Pressing on the gear shows 2 items on-screen, Profile and Display Settings, but I could not move the selection over to those items. However, if I went up to Explore (“globe” icon at the top of the left-side menu), then Settings is one of the several items visible there. I was able to move over to that Settings icon. Pressing down on it showed Profile and Display items, which I was then able to navigate into. This is just FYI - I did not find it necessary to change any settings for this extension, either in the app itself or in the Apple TV Settings app.

Every few days I have to reauthorize my installed TV:Remote app. Just loses it, and I have to reenable the extension. There’s a list of authorizations from before. I’ve tried to uninstall and reinstall the app, but it still loses auth. Is there a bug?

I still have the issue too. A re-installation of the app seems to temporarily fix it, but I have re enabled the extension multiple times since then.

Mark

Have you ever tried rebooting the Roon Core?

Yes, but issue persists

Each Roon Extension writes a file called config.json.

If you have more than the Apple-TV Roon Extensions running in the same directory, the other Roon Extensions will probably overwrite the config.json of your apple TV extension. This may be the reason for loosing the authorization.

Best DrCWO