Apple TV Extension - Roon TV Remote

What are your server specs?

Apple TV is quite simple so not sure why it works on some and not others.

I’m using Apple TV 4K hardwired back to the router, HDMI from the Apple TV to the Samsung TV.
On the Roon side, my Core is on my Innuos Zen Mk3 (so really not a mega spec I suspect), control point via my iPad.
Does this help?

1 Like

Thanks, I have the feeling issue is WiFi.

Will try to connect a cable to the router to test this assumption.

Wiring to the router did not make any difference.

Could localisation make a difference? I am in UK.

I’m in USA and have AT&T U-Verse internet 50/12.

Im also in the works camp, both Apple TV 4K and Xcode simulator. Its definitely a head scratcher on why it works for some and not others. I must be missing something when setting up the discovery if you’re briefly seeing the Searching for Roon core screen.

If you’re happy to test, I’ll share out a stripped down test build to try and pin down the crash.

Also UK and not working.
Happy to help with this testing.

Hi all, just reporting that v1.5 still not working for me as well… slight different behavior…now I actually can see the Roon search screen for 1sec and then off…based on the above comments…I’m in Australia, fully wired network on my core, AppleTV, end point…

Happy to support the testing with a stripped down version…

Hi,

I’ve just tried 1.5 and the app opens but immediately closes. My network is fully wired.

I’m UK based also.
I’ll try again later and see if it’s as straightforward today as it was last night.
I’ll report back later.

Downloaded version 1.5. Still crashes right after launch. I installed on a second ATV4 (first was ATV4K), similar behavior not exactly. I tried restarting both ATVs. Then relaunched with crashed. But ATV4 shows the app is running in the background. ATV4K does not. See attached images.

Do the folks that have this successfully running only have a single ATV Roon endpoint? My Roon setup has 4 ATV endpoints.

@R_102 I’m not a developer but have assisted with iOS app dev before. I have Xcode. Can you create a build with some logging? With some guidance I’m willing to help capture logs and provide feedback.

1 Like

Still working for me.

It works fine with my set up (at least so far!) and I have only one Apple TV Room Endpoint

Build 1.5

A1625 64GB
DY6QPXPBGXH8
13.4.6(17L570)
1080pHD-60Hz YCbCr 4:4:1234:
AppleTV and Roon are hardwired.

Crashes on launch.

Could it have anything to do with screen resolution? My TV is 4K.

@R_102 I really hope you can figure this out because this is a really great feature. Before this, I never used my ATV for listening to Roon, but this makes it more enjoyable.

Hi @Jim_F, was a bit confused by your comment re. 16/44.1 limitation.
The Apple TV is just the remote isn’t it?
In my case I’m playing music via my hi-fi and the App is just the remote /visualisation via Apple TV -> my TV.
So I’m Currently playing some 96/24 music via my hi-if which is visualised on my TV and the ATV remote control can control Roon playback. I can see the music in Roon signal path is definitely at 96/24.

Maybe I’m misunderstanding your comment?
Or do you mean if we play music actually through ATV there is the playback limitation?

Apologies if it’s a dumb question

Yes, my comment is confusing. When using this Apple TV extension, I am using the Apple TV as a Roon end-point. I can’t use this extension with my Oppo 203 which does 24/192 because I have the Oppo routed through my TV to my Bose. The TV can’t do two things at once.

I will delete that confusing comment. Thanks.

Just switched to my Meridian Prime and headphones and the extension works as you describe. I just can’t use it with my Oppo unless I rewire the Oppo to bypass my TV. I don’t want to do that.

1 Like

Promising but build 1.5 still losing core after a few mins and can’t reconnect - Apple TV 4K - wifi though