Apple TV Extension - Roon TV Remote

Bought and installed app today on my Apple TV and got the same issue. Took a reboot of the Apple TV for it to see the core. Sends me to setting to enable the extension but no extension visible.

Hi Alex,

Similar questions, what’s being used as the Roon core, does the issues persist after a core machine reboot? Are any other Roon Clients present in the system or firewalls enabled?

When the enable extension screen is show the apps connected to the core. I’ve had the same issue in the past, a reboot of the Mac running the core fixed the issues for me.

Thanks Russell for the follow up! My Roon core runs on a Sonictransporter music server (Small Green Computer). I’ve rebooted the unit several times but the issue persists. I don’t think there are any firewalls running on the sonictransporter but am not sure how to check.

Russell, thank you so much for providing this nice app. I really enjoy using my TV as a Roon display. It has been working flawless for me so far.
Is there any way I can make a little donation to keep things going?

2 Likes

Just bought the app and working fine!

Love this app

Hi, love you app, what max quality may I expect with maximum high resolution sound from Qobuz via Roon? Is it limited because of the Apple limits?

1 Like

Remember that this app doesn’t stream the music, it is a display and a remote control. The actual playback will be via AirPlay2, which (I think) maxes at 16 bit 44/48 KHz, Roon would transcode whatever source format to ALAC lossless CD quality to play out of the Apple TV.

Of course, you can do what I do and use the app as a fun display while Roon is playing into my stereo via a separate Roon endpoint.
-Alan

3 Likes

Welcome, Josef!

Man, I can’t tell you how happy I am. I always looked envious to Apple Music or TIDAL with their clean layouts in the “playing right now” screens. I know – there is a lot of action with custom XML and stuff, but I never managed to get them running with my Roon Rock.

I really can’t tell why the devs don’t just give us a selection of “community” layouts and stick to the current layout. Especially because Roon itself has a nice UI and design philosophy itself. Or did I miss it – I look for it every now and then, but everytime I do, it’s just: Nope, still the same layout.

I wonder if showing the cover for an albums’ length will bei harmfull for my LG OLED?

Anyway! Thanks a lot!

It’s very cool but I would worry about burn in on an OLED.

That’s a choice you make though.

1 Like

I have an OLED too and worry about burn-in, so I turn on the extension option to ‘Allow Apple TV Screen Saver’. That way the screensaver always kicks in after 5 mins (what I have Apple TV set to), and I just hit the back button on my remote to see what Roon is playing when I want.

Previously I experienced issues when I did not use this option where the same display on the Roon app was not moving or changing (I think the music was paused) … so that made me nervous and went back to allowing the Apple TV Screensaver to kick in to try and avoid this scenario.

Hi Guys,
I like to let you know that my new rooAIDJ Artificeal Intelligende Disk Jockey for Roon is also available for Apple TV now.

Please check out this thread for more information.
rooAIDJ - Chat-based AI for Roon - Audio Gear Talk - Roon Labs Community

Best DrCWO

I love the TV: Remote app. One enhancement I’d like to request is in the now playing screen under the song title is the album name. I have many versions of different albums and would love to see the album name under the current song playing. Thanks!

4 Likes

+1 - this would be a great enhancement to an already fantastic product.

2 Likes

I am not sure if this has already been addressed but I am unable to use the TV:Remote app.
I entered both the IP address of my Nucleus and port number in AppleTV > settings > Displays but I am still getting a “Failed to connected to Roon Core at: xxx.xxx.x.x

Also in Extension menu I see no extensions discovered… any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

It now works, I unplugged the Ethernet cable… however when I plugged it back in it stops working, the extension is no longer available. Is there anything we can do to make it work with Ethernet? Ethernet is way faster than wifi so anyone having a similar issue? Thanks

The app definitely works over ethernet. Also, it should be able to automatically discover your Core without having to put in the IP address and port. This sounds like it’s most likely an issue with your network somewhere between your Apple TV via ethernet and your Nucleus. So that’s the thing I’d recommend exploring more. For example, if you remove the IP & port settings and plug ethernet back in, can the app autodiscover your Nucleus? Does the ethernet connection work ok otherwise? Can you access anything else on your LAN over ethernet? Maybe the ethernet is on a VLAN or a different subnet somehow? What are the IP addresses of your ATV and Nucleus?

Thanks Jason, my answers below…

For example, if you remove the IP & port settings and plug ethernet back in, can the app autodiscover your Nucleus? NO

Does the ethernet connection work ok otherwise? YES

Can you access anything else on your LAN over ethernet? YES

Maybe the ethernet is on a VLAN or a different subnet somehow? I AM NOT SURE

What are the IP addresses of your ATV and Nucleus? What’s ATV?
Nucleus IP address: 192.168.1.3
Thanks!

Sorry. I meant your Apple TV’s IP address.