AppleTV as Display

I’d love being able to use it as a remote control, but I’d settle for a Chromecast-like now playing display.

2 Likes

My feeling exactly. Seems like the display capability would come out relatively well on the old cost (to develop) / benefit ratio! Here’s hoping…!

Would love it as a Control. I was really surprised when I went to look for a tvOs app that there wasn’t one. I love the iOS app, but there are times I’d like to be able to display artwork and the Roon UI is beautiful so would like to be able to do use it on a big display without having to mirror. I will look into compiling an App like was suggested above, but would still love a native application.

3 Likes

Another vote for an Apple TV app!

1 Like

+++ for AppleTV display that functions like the Chromecast. As a side note, on my network I found the Chromecast does not stay connected via wifi. Had to resort to ethernet connection for stability.

Me too!!!

It would be absolutely fantastic as I currently have a Chromecast dedicated to Roon display, but had to put it through a HDMI to composite converter due to running out of HDMI inputs and hating switchers!

As I already have a Apple TV 4K running to one of the native HDMI inputs either a ‘now playing app’ or full remote would make a world of difference.

Please, please do this Roon…

3 Likes

YES an Apple TV app would be so cool.

3 Likes

Count me in

1 Like

And another up vote! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

One more, this would be amazing.

1 Like

Not sure about this - at present, I have a Chromecast for Roon display duties, and the display image is pushed direct to the Chromecast unit and the artwork etc. is then shown on screen, as the playback stream commences - no other setting, selection is required.

If there was an App on the AppleTV, how is this selected by default to make the Roon display come up as default on commencement of Playback?
To display the Roon playback screen, you would need to make further selections on the AppleTV to navigate to the Roon App and then open it up. A ‘hijacking’ of what the AppleTV is outputing I don’t believe is possible (unless you are Apple!)

You could with AirPlay, and then you would not need an Apple TV app.

Yes, that’s precisely what we’d be talking about. You’d open the app and then it would interact with the core to determine what’s playing. It could either be a fully functional remote, or it could simply provide “Now Playing” functionality, and maybe even provide the option to switch between those two modes.

EDIT: You might even be able to switch between a display for various end-points, and/or pre-configure a favorite.

Sure, that’s an option. But it’s not really what we’re talking about here. That basically means you can’t use the iPad/iPhone that you’re using for anything else while you’re screen mirroring to the AppleTV.

I know, but the Roon Core could cast (in theory). A simple app is better, or maybe Apple should allow for custom screensavers some time.

Ah, I see what you mean. Could be an option. I haven’t really looked into or tinkered with whether that’s feasible for a third party app (although I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s locked to Apple and/or requires licensing agreements of some sort).

Too many configuration steps - I would want a single button on my remote, that connects the TV panel to the AppleTV, switches the Amp on etc. and then from a Roon Remote I press play, and what is selected is 1. played through the Streamer/Amp/Spekers, and 2. the Roon Display is up on the screen.

Any further messing about in the AppleTV menu to find and run a Roon Display App is unnecessary.

I have the above with a ChromeCast to the TV, and the Roon Display is pushed to the ChromeCast without any further configuration or setting.

1 Like

That’s basically how I have it set up now with Chromecast and my Harmony remote. I’m just sure not Apple’s screen mirroring allows that type of implementation.

If it does, then I agree & sounds good to me.

If it doesn’t, then an alternative implementation option could be an AppleTV “now playing” or remote control app.

And that aside, I wouldn’t mind an Apple TV version of the roon app that I have on my iPads and iPhones. :slight_smile:

Yes, mine is a Beo Remote 5, and fires the IR commands out, which is native to the B&O BeoVision TV (without speakers) but then is processed by a Lintronic box, which is scripted based and issues IR commands out to the other components (Video Processor, Audio Processor, Amp, AppleTV, DVD player, etc.)
I have a custom logo on the Beo remote for the Naim player, and also the Naim player with Roon Display.

I strongly support the request for a native tvOS App.
Screen mirroring from Safari Browser on a iOS Device is a rather nasty workaround.

• It takes too long and too many steps to get it done.
  • The iOS device is blocked.
  • You have to disable lockscreen.

Everywhere “ROON” I always see iMac, iPhone, iPad, etc… But suddenly when choosing a display, I stumble over chromecast. Nothing to say against chromecast. I do have one myself. But this seems kind of inconsistent to me.

@support
So YES, please publish a native ROON tvOS App that we can choose as a display from our roon control with Now Playing screen including live lyrics.

10 Likes

I’m on the fence about renewing Roon for this very reason: they don’t have an ATV app. Too often, I just select the ATV Tidal app and skip Roon. I hope someone at Roon can at least say whether or not they’re considering creating an app.