AppleTV as Display

@support Any plans regarding native tvOS ? This would be indeed wonderful.

1 Like

This request is open for such a long period. Please develop a nice native AppleTV app (With lyrics support) Karaoke :wink:

3 Likes

Hi @Jan_Reinmueller,

We have no plans for a native tvOS app currently. If we see enough demand, we will of course consider it, but we cannot make any promises at the present time.

How many is enough?

Hi @Serkan_Kuyumcu,

The decision on what features are added to Roon lie with the product team. While interest into a feature is one of the variables taken into consideration, it is not the only factor.

I cannot speak for the product team and what they decide will be added in future releases, but do let us know any features you wish to see in the #roon:feature-requests section as you have done so here.

This section is often frequented by the product team for ideas on what to implement next in Roon, so all feedback is greatly appreciated!

Well, not sure how y’all are measuring support for a feature, but I’ll add my name to the informal petition here. All the best. :metal:t3:

1 Like

Same here: AppleTV support please. Just a simple way of showing the web display would already be a nice addition in my opinion.

3 Likes

Yes, AppleTV

2 Likes

Another one for Apple TV

2 Likes

IMO, it will never happen. Not because it’s not technically possible, plenty of tvOS apps allow for bit-perfect playback using their own engine. Roon has invested too much in getting boutique DAC vendors to support RAAT and surely along with that there’s surely a promise to not compete. An AppleTV app would significantly impact standalone DAC purchases. I’d sell mine immediately if Roon made a tvOS app.

1 Like

+1 for AppleTV

2 Likes

+1 for an AppleTV app. Not sure we all have the same kind of app in mind, though. I’d like to be able to command my Siri Remote to “play Roon” and have the TV mirror the Roon display of whatever is currently playing in a specific zone.

1 Like

+1 for ATV Display . the display feature on more TV’s will in turn sell more Roon license subscriptions.
and it is a relatively simple ask.

2 Likes

Another vote for Apple TV app.

1 Like

Yes for Apple tv app :+1::+1::+1:

1 Like

Yes for Apple TV!:+1:

1 Like

Here’s the thing: I doubt anybody here is disinclined to use AppleTV as a display. Most of us who are enmeshed in the Apple ecosystem see this as a positive.

The only entity that might see it as a negative is Apple, and they have the deciding vote.

Frankly, I am not convinced that Apple needs us.

Hi all - I put together a simple native Apple TV app that serves as a Roon Web Display. I put the source code out on Github here: https://github.com/MattTW/Roon-Display-tvOS. Note this isn’t a player, but a display. Roon’s Web Display feature requires a full featured browser component to work. Apple TV can do this via private API, but this means it will not be accepted to the store (that is why you have never seen a web browser-like app in the Apple TV store).

That means you must build and deploy the app yourself using Xcode. The good news is that no coding expertise is required. The bad news is that if you have never messed with Xcode or are not a programmer, it might be daunting (but doable). I have provided basic instructions in the repository.

Enjoy! Contributions welcome!

16 Likes

Another vote for an Apple TV display app for Roon!

2 Likes

This is one thing I really don’t understand about the Roon display function, why is there no Apple TV display app. You did it for Chromecast and web browsers.

Apple TV Display app seems a no brainer to me so obviously there is a reason that Roon will not do it?

2 Likes