Applying Library Settings seems to take hours

Roon Core Machine

Apple MacBook Pro (15" 2017)
Catalina 10.15.7
3.1 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
16GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

Western Digital 18TB Elements Desktop External Hard Drive (Music library storage)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Virgin Media Hub 3 set to modem mode…
ASUS ZenWiFi AX router connected to laptop via cat-6 ethernet cables.
Virgin Media M350 Fibre Broadband

Connected Audio Devices

Raspberry Pi 4b with Allo BOSS DAC connected to router via Cat-6 ethernet & to analogue amp via standard phono.

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Along with the “analysing” issue, I also have this happen periodically:

I have no idea what settings it’s applying. Perhaps someone could enlighten me?

I would naturally assume that every time I changed anything in my library, it would be updated on the spot & there wouldn’t suddenly be a period of several hours where it needs to “apply settings”.

Does this mean that, prior to it doing this, my database (& therefore my back-up) was out of date?

Why does it take so long? It’s been like this for several hours now & the progress bar appears to be stuck.

It will complete the task eventually. It’s done this many times before, but I can’t do anything in Roon until it’s finished, which is sub-optimal.

Three hours later:

I believe it reprocesses your entire library which at 300k is huge and the source of the long time.

1 Like

Thanks. :slight_smile:

Hi @Snowdog,

Any update regarding your progress?

Please let me know if you still need help. I suspect @Rugby hit the nail on the head but I’d like to be sure :upside_down_face:

Wes

It’s fine, thanks Wes. I also took the answer to be “nail on the head”.

I came back to Roon the following morning & it hadn’t moved, so I restarted the core & hoped for the best.

It’s doing it again right now & as my library has increased to 329,116 tracks since I posted this, it has even more to do.

I’m still at a loss as to exactly what it’s doing, by which I mean what does “reprocessing” even mean in this context? What does this say about my previous back-ups if things need “reprocessing”? I also don’t know whether or not it’s safe to go ahead & edit music (meta-tags, etc.) while it’s doing it. This & “analysing” which it still races through until the last couple of tracks & then just sits there for hours.

In the mean time, though, I’ll just be patient & let it finish what it’s doing, this time.

Unless it’s still going in the morning, that is! :slight_smile:

I suppose the other thing I find confusing (& again, I can ask the question about what’s happening “under the hood” but the answers I get are usually quite non-specific) is that, like the “analysing” thing that always gets to the same place & then stops there for ages, this seems to do the same.

A screen shot of what I’m seeing now shows the progress bar directly underneath the “L” of “lyrics”:

Why is that?

Why does it always seem to get stuck in the same place?

Another question…

If I quit Roon while it’s doing this, will I mess anything up or will it just resume when I next start the core?

It’s quite funny, actually. I added some more tracks & the top progress bar seemed to stop in the exact same place while it was going through the motions. Is there a coffee shop there, or something? I mean, this surely has to be the world’s most redundant “progress bar”, doesn’t it? Full of its own self importance, whilst giving me none of the information I actually need from it. It’s like being on hold with the bank, except without being able to listen to any music while I’m waiting. :rofl:

Okay, I just want to come back to this because, having got past the “nail on head” thing from earlier, I tried leaving it to finish the process. Again.

It’s been like this since about 4pm yesterday.

Even with a big library, that can’t be right, surely?

Also, none of my question from upthread have been answered & I am genuinely curious as to what it’s actually doing, why it’s doing it, what it means for my back-ups & whether or not I will do any harm by relaunching Roon half way through the process?

Because basically the app is currently unusable & music unplayable. Which is the same as me throwing money down the drain, really.

Hi @Snowdog,

I have discussed your case with our development team and we’ve made a few observations:

1. 300k + tracks with a core i7 and 16 GB of RAM is non-sufficient in most cases. In many instances, we have run into Roon Nucleus + owners hitting that 300k mark and experiencing user experience issues. Adding RAM was the fix. However, please see point 3 as its super relevant.

2. We see some extraordinarily large files being imported. This could be compounding issue 1.

3. The 18 TB drive isn’t a solid state. The issue may not be as significant with a smaller library. This snippet is from our recommended core specs:

Your music files can be on spinning disks, but ideally, the Roon database should be on an SSD. This optimization can provide the most significant improvement to Roon’s performance and user experience.

1. Is the drive being used by any other application for any other use?

2. We see dropbox failures. Is it possible that the drive contains the DB’s and is trying to update the backups on dropbox? If so, please disable it temporarily.

3. Can you run disk utility and verify the integrity of the drive?

4. Is this drive in any way used with MacOS time machine?

The errors we see are extensive but they appear to be performance related. Access timeouts on the drive when attempting to read/write both music and image files.

Most of these are just pointing things out but I do have one actionable suggestion. Narrowing down your watched folders. You can gradually add more folders to the mix instead of having it index and analyze the entirety of your library at one time.

Edit:
One last observation was that there were several timeouts getting the time from the internet as well as verifications of your account with Roon. You can try setting your DNS to Google or Cloudfare on your router. Google’s are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. Cloudfare is 1.1.1.1

Regards,
Wes

Thanks so much for this, Wes.

I’ll go through your points & keep your numbering scheme but there are some things here that are a little beyond my limited tech knowledge, so further questions may arise.

1. I can’t afford more RAM at the moment, but I shall make that a priority.

2. Large audio files or just large files? I’m a photoshop user by trade so I very often create quite complex layered files on the way to creating sleeve art because, well because I’m really fussy about my sleeve art! I require my sleeve art to match the item I own so, for example, a square version of a sleeve image is commonly available whereas the CD might be in a digipak & therefore a slightly landscape shape. This often requires me to pull various imagery apart to re-create an accurate sleeve, resulting in some large Photoshop files. That said, at the end of the process, all support files, back covers, booklet scans etc. are tucked away in a sub-folder with only a JPG in with the audio files & used by Roon. (This hasn’t always been the case, so I’m tidying as I go, whenever I find a folder with loads of loose scans in with the audio tracks.) As far as large audio files are concerned, it may be that there are some out of print albums that have been ripped from vinyl & shared as a single track which I have yet to manually split.

3. The only way I could realistically store my music all in one place was on this big WD external drive. Again, finances limit me from buying a more expensive & Roon friendly system, but it’s on the list!

4. The drive is not being used by any other applications.

5. The drive is not linked to Dropbox in any way. I make a manual copy of anything I add or update on the external hard drive into my Dropbox folder which resides on the desktop of the laptop. This then syncs to Dropbox, after which, I instruct it to be offline only, so that it doesn’t fill up the hard drive of my laptop.

One thing to note, at this point, is that (as has been pointed out before by a few people, including myself) Roon is really, really greedy with bandwidth. I recently upgraded all my cables to cat-6 & I have the fastest internet speed available to me, but Roon is not happy when Dropbox is using some of the bandwidth to sync with, although it only cause occasional dropouts & stalls. (Another thing that needs to change is that Roon just to the next track when a track loads slowly. That is supremely messed up.)

1. I will run Disk Utility tomorrow & report back.

2. This drive is not used for Time Machine or any other processes outside of Roon, although when I edit audio files in Audacity I do save the projects onto this drive in a folder outside of the folder Roon is directed to.

I only have one watched folder. The one with all my music in it. I’m not sure I follow what you mean about adding things to it.

I’ve changed my DNS to 8.8.8.8

Thanks! :slight_smile:

In our discussions, we didn’t deem this to 100% be the issue but we all felt it could be problematic.

Can you visit Roon>Settings>Services and sign out of dropbox at least temporarily to aid in the process of elimination?

Here’s an example of what I didn’t explain as well as I should have:

My external drive is a collection of all kinds of things as you can see below:

If I point my Roon>Settings>Storage to the drive and not a subfolder, Roon will scan every file on that drive looking for music regardless of its relevance to music. In fact, I just pointed it to the drive and it’s rescanning everything.

Can you refocus that storage location to only include subfolders that contain your music?

I had similar problem but in my case I was lucky that new version came out and after updating Roon it all came back to normal. Did you tried to reinstall Roon and try again?
EDIT: I had 16gb on Windows 11 with 630k tracks. I should use about 18GB for Roon but I hadn’t. In your case 16gb should work.

I haven’t tried re-installing Roon, but then, it’s never been suggested before.

Wes, this is a screenshot of the contents of the external hard drive:

Screenshot 2023-01-16 at 22.58.13

Roon is only pointed to CHOONZ_LOSSLESS which is the folder that contains all my music. This how it’s always been (although originally it was a smaller hard drive, one that I outgrew, it was still only ever pointed to one folder on that drive.)

I’d completely forgotten that I connected Dropbox. It was entirely unnecessary so I’ve disconnected it.

Hi @Snowdog,

Since it’s not been tried, it’s certainly an option.

If I were doing this on my computer I would uninstall the way I uninstall any application and then proceed to rename folders before re-installing. Please remember to take a backup before you begin since this will wipe the slate clean.

• Create a Backup of your current Roon database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon” and “RAATServer”
  • Rename “Roon” to “Roon_old” and “RAATServer” to “RAATServer_old”
  • Reinstall Roon from our Downloads Page

Well, let’s not get ahead of ourselves, here.

Firstly, I’ve restarted the computer, which is something I very rarely do. But, you know, the old IT maxim “have you tried turning it off & on again?” & all that.

I’ve run Disk Utility & that showed no errors on the external hard drive. Although I do accept that it’s not an SSD so that comes with its own problems.

My Roon is set to back-up daily, although the back-ups appear to be a load of random folders. Nothing useful to a layman like me, such as a file with a time & a date on it. But anyway, the back ups are there.

Before I do anything else, I’d really like some clarity on a some of my questions…

When it’s doing this “applying library settings” thing & I get fed up with the impaired performance & restart Roon, it doesn’t continue to do it after the restart. This is different to the “analysing files” thing, which immediately picks up where it left off. Could it be that the restart clears the “blockage” & it completes the “applying” process quickly, without me realising it?

How would I know? Is there somewhere that it keeps a log of applied library settings?

My system is set to back up at 3am every morning & I know that it does this because I’m often up at that time & have to stop & wait while it does it. Why does it seem to randomly & occasionally decide to embark on the “applying library settings” mission, independently of my back-up preferences?

Is there a note of the last successful back-up anywhere?

What harm will it do (if any) if I don’t let it finish “applying” but instead restart Roon?

Why does it not seem to pick up where it left off after the restart, the way “analysing” does?

Also, in almost every other process that Roon does, there is some kind of visual feedback. “Analysing” tells me how many files of how many, as it goes along. When I launch Roon it shows me the number of scanned files as it goes. When I add music it tells me how many have been added & how many have been identified, etc.

“Applying library settings” seems to be the only process that keeps me completely in the dark while it’s doing whatever it’s doing.

Incidentally, I still don’t know what it’s actually doing.

I really appreciate the level of help I’m getting here, by the way. I still firmly believe that most of these issues are cause by Dropbox & Roon fighting for bandwidth because they’re both so greedy. Although they’re not in any way connected, they both seem to operate on the assumption that, in any given household, a mi casa su casa principle is in operation whereas in reality there is a whole family who need to share the facilities! :rofl:

Hi @Snowdog,

Did this change anything about the situation?

It SHOULD be fine for just music storage. My main concern is that your database drive be SSD and that the storage drive isn’t used for other applications and you’ve clarified this.

This very well may be the case but there’s no way to know for sure unless the issue is recurring once the “blockage” is seemingly overcome.

Not one that is accessible via the Roon UI. Logging only.

Under Roon>Settings>Backups, it shows your last successful backup. Otherwise, using finder or Windows explorer you can see the file’s date-modified.

To be completely honest, I’m not sure what is happening when this happens either. There are several mentions in community of this happening but it seems the general theme is that restarting the core corrects the hang.

Regards,
Wes

Thanks, Wes.

Yes, until it does it again, I guess we won’t really know if anything has changed. Certainly I’ve been downloading music & Dropbox has been busy at times (in other words, really hammering the bandwidth) today & this has not caused any unnecessary pauses or dropouts that I’ve noticed, so it definitely seems happier than of late.

Maybe I should just be in the habit of restarting my machine more often!

I think your response to my question about the possibility of this “applying” process usually being pretty quick is where we’re at, really, isn’t it?

Maybe it’s happening regularly & I just don’t see it because under normal circumstances it’s super-quick.

Maybe it’s less frequent & never gets to finish the process!

I mean, I’m constantly meta-tagging & changing things in my library, so I get the animated circle on & off all the time in any case. It just might be that it usually does the “applying” thing every so often but maybe it only takes a couple of minutes & I just don’t notice.

Watch this space!

And thanks again for all the support! What an amazing place this is.

1 Like

Absolutely, a restart from time to time is well advised. One thing I have observed is that resource monitor shows a large number of ports when looking at Roon’s details there. These are virtual ports communicating with the OS but I believe it’s a cumulative report and not a running tally of active ports. That said, we never reached a 100% determination of how resource monitor reports this information for any given application.

Another potential idea for you would be to use Roon server instead of the all in one application. If you want to give that a try, here’s an article explaining it:

Wes

1 Like