Applying Library Settings seems to take hours

Hi @Snowdog,

At long last, we believe we’ve identified the most likely mechanism for the symptoms you were experiencing on this thread. Your most recent logs indicate that you’re probably still experiencing this - is that correct?

We have ongoing work to address the underlying problem here, which has to do with low tolerance for certain ratios of album/artist/track within file storage directory. Specifically, too many Artists with a large volume of sub-contained locally stored Albums is a possible mechanism for throttling performance in Roon.

If you had to guess, how many albums do you have for your top five artists in your library (by album count)? You can get a good sense by navigating to Library → My Artist and sorting by Album Count. You can export this by selecting all and clicking on the three dots to Export to Excel; this will give a precise count of albums per artist.

3 Likes

Hi Conner.

I’ve done as you’ve requested.

It might be worth me mentioning that, because of the rather… Idiosyncratic way I like to organise my music, the results might not be quite what you expect.

I use the Album Artist field as a bit of a “blunt instrument” to bring certain things together. This could be a group such as OST, where all my Original Soundtracks are grouped & sorted by film title or franchise. It could be “Jazz” or a composer such as J.S. Bach.

Therefore, the items that fall into the results you’ve asked for are not actually “artists” as such.

The biggest appears to be all of my LIBRARY albums on the DeWolfe label, then a 500 disc set called Encyclopedia Of Jazz, then there are all of the various collections of Herbert Von Karajan’s recordings followed by two complete J.S.Bach sets with additional Bach albums & two complete Mozart sets, again accompanied by a large selection of other miscellaneous discs. Finally I think I also added my soundtracks although I think this will only be the ones that are still just labelled OST in the album artist field. The ones I’ve tagged will include a film or franchise name after OST & I think I’m right in saying that these would then be seen as a different “artist”.

Anyway, here are the top five that I think fall into the category you’re after:

Album Artist: “LIBRARY: DeWolfe” Albums: 886 / Tracks: 5778

Album Artist: “JAZZ: EoJ” Albums: 500 / Tracks: 9054 (Encyclopaedia of Jazz)

Album Artist: “Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart” Albums: 406 / Tracks: 7322

Album Artist: “Herbert Von Karajan” Albums: 401 / Tracks 4580

Album Artist: “Johann Sebastien Bach” Albums: 397 / Tracks: 9108

I have an Excel file. If you still need it, how should I get it to you? I can’t seem to attach it here.